Lightning Strike

  • happyfmly3
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30 11:12 PM
      Last week the Stake President called me to let me know the stake
      center had a lightning strike. While the groundng rod protected the
      building, and surge protectors protected the pc's. We lost the WAN
      on the pix, a few switches, and one ethernet card.

      This Stake Center is new, there aren't any dsl or cable options. We
      had to go with a wireless ISP. Good quality, 150K on file
      downloads. However the receiver is mounted outside on the roof.
      The spire is the highest point on the building and the 2nd highest
      spot on the building is the wireless receiver.

      It appears part of the path of the strike ran through the feed from
      the wireless provider, taking out the WAN on the pix, filtering
      through the switches, and ending at one of the ethernet cards.

      With the exception of the pix, that SLC has already replaced, the
      damage was relatively minor.

      I am looking for ideas on how to protect from a low voltage strike
      traveling through the cat 5 wires damaging the pix, the switches,
      and ethernet cards. Any reasonable low cost suggestions would be
      appreciated.

      Br. Mike
    • RussellHltn
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2005
        >>> I am looking for ideas on how to protect from a low voltage strike
        traveling through the cat 5 wires damaging the pix, the switches,
        and ethernet cards. Any reasonable low cost suggestions would be
        appreciated. <<<

        First, I'd check with a lightning protection expert on what should be done
        with the mast that holds the wireless antenna. I'd think it should be
        connected to the same grounding system and the lighting rod. The idea is get
        as much of the surge to follow the mast to ground and leave the antenna wire
        alone, but I'd defer to the experts on that.

        Second, I'd get a Ethernet surge protector for where the PIX connects to the
        wireless ISP system. Here's a few you can look at:

        http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=PNET1

        http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=PF11VNT3

        http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=151

        http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=144

        Make sure you connect that ground wire to the powerline ground. That's the
        key to making it work.

        Third, I would make sure to separate the Wireless ISP equipment physically
        from the rest of the equipment to minimize the possibility that the surge
        can jump between the cases. Likewise try and keep the wires as separated as
        possible. I would NOT plug the power for the wireless stuff into the same
        surge protector as the PIX and switches. Give it it's own surge protector.

        I would not try to connect any surge suppresser between the wireless
        equipment and the antenna unless it's at the recommendation of the Wireless
        ISP.

        That's my thoughts.
      • Don L. Blanchard
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005

          >I am looking for ideas on how to protect from a low voltage strike
          >traveling through the cat 5 wires damaging the pix, the switches,
          >and ethernet cards. Any reasonable low cost suggestions would be
          >appreciated.
          >
          >Br. Mike

          Although they are not inexpensive (around $80-$100) I would recommend
          purchasing an EFI surge protector and plugging the sensitive equipment into
          it. I know that there are other good brands out there, but I have had a
          lot of experience with the EFI brand and know that they are very
          good. They are based out of Salt Lake City. I would recommend getting
          either their 8000 or 1500 series plugstrip. It has a $25,000 connected
          equipment warranty. See www.efinet.com. Also the plugstrips carry a
          lifetime replacement warranty. Several models are available with phone and
          data connection protection built in to them.

          I use four at home because I am a believer. I also maintain equipment at
          three different sites on Iron Mountain (very prone to lightning strikes)
          and although I have had several plugstrips get blown at these sites there
          has NEVER been any damage to the equipment plugged in to them. One of
          these sites is an FM Radio Broadcast site with a 120 foot tower (great
          lightning rod). I had two plugstrips taken out in one storm, both were
          replaced without question. No, I do not own stock in the company. While I
          was teaching at Southern Utah University, we purchased over 50 of these
          units for our computer labs.

          Don L. Blanchard
          Cedar City FHC
        • RussellHltn
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
            Keep in mind that in this case the CAT5 connection needs to be protected as
            well. Just protecting the AC powerline isn't enough.
          • keywyzard
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 18, 2005
              Interesting...We have just gotten DSL at our FHC. Since we are in a
              lightning prone area, we are instructed to shut down and UNPLUG all
              computers before leaving the FHC. This is the only sure way to
              protect us from damage. Since we only have 4 computers, and are a
              small center, it doesn't require too much effort. I have had systems
              affected by lightning in my home, surge protector or not...We do have
              surge protectors hooked up to everything in the FHC, but are still
              told to follow through and unplug. I was thinking about DSL and
              didn't know whether that includes the DSL Linknet modem or not. Does
              anyone know?

              --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, "happyfmly3" <happyfmly3@y...> wrote:

              > Last week the Stake President called me to let me know the stake
              > center had a lightning strike. While the groundng rod protected
              the
              > building, and surge protectors protected the pc's. We lost the WAN
              > on the pix, a few switches, and one ethernet card.
              >
              > This Stake Center is new, there aren't any dsl or cable options.
              We
              > had to go with a wireless ISP. Good quality, 150K on file
              > downloads. However the receiver is mounted outside on the roof.
              > The spire is the highest point on the building and the 2nd highest
              > spot on the building is the wireless receiver.
              >
              > It appears part of the path of the strike ran through the feed from
              > the wireless provider, taking out the WAN on the pix, filtering
              > through the switches, and ending at one of the ethernet cards.
              >
              > With the exception of the pix, that SLC has already replaced, the
              > damage was relatively minor.
              >
              > I am looking for ideas on how to protect from a low voltage strike
              > traveling through the cat 5 wires damaging the pix, the switches,
              > and ethernet cards. Any reasonable low cost suggestions would be
              > appreciated.
              >
              > Br. Mike

            • RussellHltn
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 18, 2005
                >>> Interesting...We have just gotten DSL at our FHC. Since we are in a lightning prone area, we are instructed to shut down and UNPLUG all computers before leaving the FHC. .... I was thinking about DSL and didn't know whether that includes the DSL Linknet modem or not. Does anyone know? <<<

                Any device that connects to both the powerline and another "outside wire" such as the phone line (DSL), or Cable, or an outdoor wireless antenna is much more susceptible to lighting damage. So to answer your question, yes, I would unplug the modem. Especially the modem!

                Do keep in mind that it may take some time for things to come back up when you power them up as the modem and PIX box will need to do some catch-up from being off.
              • happyfmly3
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 19, 2005
                  Re: Lightning strike for those who can not shut down their internet connection.

                  Russell has a good point for those who can unplug their internet connection this is the best thing to do when leaving your fhc.

                  However what about those fhc's who can not shut down their connection? One example is the equipment in one building of our stake is placed in an attic where no one except the custodian and fm group can get to it. (I know not a good place for SLC to install the PIX however FM and Siemens set it up that way)

                  Another example is a stake center that is completely wired per Stake Pres. Request. The FHC is on Line, The Stake Pres Office, High Council Room, Stake Clerk office and 3 Bishop's offices all have a ethernet port connection to the internet. This group uses lds.org stake and ward websites to answer the Stake Pres. emails, Schedule Calendar items for the stake online, high council meetings to lds.org content, along with sharing a high speed line for FHC use.

                  The Stake Secretary and Clerk maintain the stake website by updating callings as they are accepted and approved and all stake calendaring is now an online event. (Internet access is authorized by the priesthood leadership of the ward or stake and this is set up per Stake Request)

                  For those who can not disconnect the system or who need to leave it running 24 (7) for Stake Presidents etc. I appreiate brother Blanchard's reply providing us with a commercial site that is helpful to find protection equipment.

                  EFI Electronics Corporation 1751 South 4800 West • Salt Lake City, Utah 84104 • 1.800.877.1174 • www.efinet.com

                  Bro. Mike

                  RussellHltn <RussellHltn@...> wrote:
                  >>> Interesting...We have just gotten DSL at our FHC. Since we are in a lightning prone area, we are instructed to shut down and UNPLUG all computers before leaving the FHC. .... I was thinking about DSL and didn't know whether that includes the DSL Linknet modem or not. Does anyone know? <<<

                  Any device that connects to both the powerline and another "outside wire" such as the phone line (DSL), or Cable, or an outdoor wireless antenna is much more susceptible to lighting damage. So to answer your question, yes, I would unplug the modem. Especially the modem!

                  Do keep in mind that it may take some time for things to come back up when you power them up as the modem and PIX box will need to do some catch-up from being off.

                  or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  Lds genealogy Staff training Genealogy Family history center Family home Familysearch

                • Vereen Lynn
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 19, 2005
                    We have DSL (wireless) and we did have an experience with lightening strike. I've never been instructed to unplug but the solution to our problem after the fact was to unplug the modem & the firewall and leave them off for a few minutes and then plug in the modem for 1 minute and then the firewall. It seemed to solve the problem this time. Hope there isn't a next.

                    I know this probably doesn't answer your question but our equipment is in a locked room in a locked cabinet that I don't have access to without a member of the branch presidency so unplugging every time wouldn't be feasible.