20951RE: [FHCNET] NFS and Submitting Shared information

  • Alan Jones
    May 30, 2008
      He was probably talking about the problem that has happened in the past
      where people uploaded their materials to commercial sites such as Family
      Tree Maker, where they offer free storage space but in the fine print it
      says they can make a CD with everything on their site and sell it. There was
      a large fuss over this a while ago, and law suits. The sites involved
      changed their policies and I have not heard of any new such offenses.
      There are sites such as FamilySearch.org that are very committed to NOT
      making money off what people post. But we need to keep in mind that the
      names/dates/places are already in the public domain. Someone could go
      through the Census' and create a file and sell it, even if it had your
      family on it. That is totally legal. If however, you have organized it,
      documented it, etc. You automatically have a copyright and if others sold
      it, you could sue them.

      Of course when we do post things to the web (temple ordinances or others) we
      don't include things like social security numbers, etc. So personal stuff
      is never compromised.

      I would tend to respond to the person and says something like: yes, I know
      we need to be careful posting to the internet because some websites are more
      interested in money than genealogy. Luckily there are a few websites that
      can be trusted and it allows us to find other relatives who are also
      researching our same family line, such as FamilySearch.org, etc. Assure him
      that while some of your records may be on a website you would never post it
      where the materials would be taken advantage of.

      That's my opinion.