20930Re: [FHCNET] NFS and Submitting Shared information

  • Tom Kemp
    May 29, 2008
      You could ask him - pointing out that the nFS is a free site - and the
      content entered there is not sold.
      Suggest that it is convenient, easily found way to preserve the
      information for the current and future generations.

      You also will find a way to bring up religion, break the ice and let
      him know that you are LDS.
      I have found that mentioning that the kids are attending BYU - going
      on a mission - or reference to going to the Church picnic etc. are
      ways to bring it up in a comfortable, conversational way.

      All the best,

      On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 10:39 PM, taffysmom2 <yucaipa@...> wrote:
      > I was recently contacted by a gentleman who shares a common ancestor
      > with me 6 generations back. He saw a posting of mine on a public
      > website where I shared information about my side of the family that
      > came to the US in the mid-1800s. His relative emigrated to
      > Australia, where his family now lives. He has freely shared
      > information with me and I with him as we try to trace the family back
      > another generation.
      > Today he sent me a gedcom with all his research on the family well
      > documented in Notes. Some of the documentation is my material sent
      > to him, but most is his or his family's own research. He has been
      > able to provide me answers to many of my own questions. It is
      > wonderful. Here is my dilemma: In the last email with the gedcom
      > attachment he said this, "Please don't upload to the net. It is
      > criminal how those guys take it then sell it!"
      > I have never uploaded any gedcoms to public websites EXCEPT for NFS.
      > I have no intention of uploading his gedcom anywhere (so please don't
      > start posting all the reasons not to upload a gedcom because of
      > duplication, etc.). I was planning to add to my PAF file the family
      > information that I don't already have after checking his sources. I
      > was then intended to submit the family names for temple
      > ordinances like I have for the rest of the family I have researched.
      > They all fall properly into the guidelines posted in the NFS user's
      > guide. Entering them into NFS, however, seems to be doing
      > just what he asked me not to do.
      > I've never before thought of it that way. I am the only member of
      > the church working on this line (as far as I know). I've never
      > thought before of my temple submissions going into the public
      > domain. When NFS goes public in a few years all the work will be
      > linked and sources and notes will be available as well. While that
      > is great as far as I'm concerned, I'm afraid this gentleman and his
      > family might not feel the same way.
      > I've never told any of my internet contacts I was LDS and doing
      > family history research with the goal of submitting family names for
      > temple ordinances. I admit I am afraid the well will dry up, and I
      > will be cut off from future correspondence and vital information.
      > How do the rest of you handle these kinds of situations? I don't
      > want to offend nor betray his trust.
      > --- In FHCNET@yahoogroups.com, Jacob Edwards <jdaddy3@...> wrote:
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic