20927Re: [FHCNET] NFS and Submitting Shared information

  • taffysmom2
    May 29, 2008
      I was recently contacted by a gentleman who shares a common ancestor
      with me 6 generations back. He saw a posting of mine on a public
      website where I shared information about my side of the family that
      came to the US in the mid-1800s. His relative emigrated to
      Australia, where his family now lives. He has freely shared
      information with me and I with him as we try to trace the family back
      another generation.

      Today he sent me a gedcom with all his research on the family well
      documented in Notes. Some of the documentation is my material sent
      to him, but most is his or his family's own research. He has been
      able to provide me answers to many of my own questions. It is
      wonderful. Here is my dilemma: In the last email with the gedcom
      attachment he said this, "Please don't upload to the net. It is
      criminal how those guys take it then sell it!"

      I have never uploaded any gedcoms to public websites EXCEPT for NFS.
      I have no intention of uploading his gedcom anywhere (so please don't
      start posting all the reasons not to upload a gedcom because of
      duplication, etc.). I was planning to add to my PAF file the family
      information that I don't already have after checking his sources. I
      was then intended to submit the family names for temple
      ordinances like I have for the rest of the family I have researched.
      They all fall properly into the guidelines posted in the NFS user's
      guide. Entering them into NFS, however, seems to be doing
      just what he asked me not to do.

      I've never before thought of it that way. I am the only member of
      the church working on this line (as far as I know). I've never
      thought before of my temple submissions going into the public
      domain. When NFS goes public in a few years all the work will be
      linked and sources and notes will be available as well. While that
      is great as far as I'm concerned, I'm afraid this gentleman and his
      family might not feel the same way.

      I've never told any of my internet contacts I was LDS and doing
      family history research with the goal of submitting family names for
      temple ordinances. I admit I am afraid the well will dry up, and I
      will be cut off from future correspondence and vital information.
      How do the rest of you handle these kinds of situations? I don't
      want to offend nor betray his trust.