20926Re: [FHCNET]

  • Jacob Edwards
    May 29, 2008
      The answer is found in the NFS user's guide.

      Ordinances That You Can Do
      Church members are responsible to provide temple ordinances for the following
      individuals who have been deceased at least one year:
      • Immediate family.
      • Direct-line ancestors (parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. and their families).
      Church members may also provide temple ordinances for the following individuals who
      have been deceased at least one year:
      • Biological, adoptive, and foster family lines connected to your family.
      • Collateral family lines (uncles, aunts, cousins, and their families).
      • Their own descendants.
      • Descendants of direct-line ancestors and their families.
      • “Possible ancestors,” meaning individuals who have a probable family relationship
      that cannot be verified because the records are inadequate, such as those who have
      the same last names and resided in the same areas as known ancestors.
      • Individuals with whom they have shared a friendship. (Please obtain permission from
      the closest living relative, as explained in “Other Policies” on page 183. Remember
      that your primary responsibility is your own ancestors and family.)
      Please do not submit individuals who are not related to you, including names of celebrities
      or famous people, or those gathered from unapproved extraction projects, such as Jewish
      Holocaust victims.
      Other Policies
      Generally, you may perform temple ordinances for deceased persons one year or more
      after the date of death without regard to the person’s worthiness or cause of death. If
      you have questions, please contact your bishop or branch president.
      © 2007, 2008 IRI 183
      Before you provide ordinances for someone who was born within the last 95 years, please
      get permission from the closest living relative. The closest living relatives are, in this
      order: spouse, then children, then parents, then siblings.
      Sequence of Ordinances
      Please perform temple ordinances in the correct sequence. This is as follows:
      • Baptism
      • Confirmation
      • Ordination to the Melchizedek Priesthood for males
      • Initiatory ordinances
      • Endowment
      • Sealing of a husband and wife and sealing of children to parents (if possible.) Whenever
      possible, parents should be sealed to each other before their children are sealed to
      them.
      Although vicarious ordinances performed out of sequence are valid, they become effective
      only after the prerequisite ordinances are completed.
      Ordinances That May Not Be Needed
      FamilySearch tells you when ordinances are not needed, such as in these situations:
      • Children who are born after their mother has been sealed to a husband in a temple
      are born in the covenant of that sealing. They do not need to receive the ordinance
      of sealing to parents.
      • Temple ordinances are not performed for stillborn children.
      • No baptism or endowment is performed for a child who died before age eight. Only
      sealings to parents are performed for such children. If the child was sealed to parents
      while he or she was living, or if the child was born in the covenant, no vicarious
      ordinances are performed.
      Sealing Couples with Undocumented Marriages
      You may have a deceased couple sealed to each other if they lived together as husband
      and wife, even if the marriage cannot be documented. You can use FamilySearch to
      prepare these names for temple ordinances without any other approval process.
      Deceased Women Married More Than Once
      You may have a deceased woman sealed to all men to whom she was legally married
      during her life. However, if she was sealed to a husband during her life, all her husbands
      must be deceased before she may be sealed to a husband to whom she was not sealed
      during life.
      Deceased Persons Who Had Mental Disabilities
      Temple ordinances for deceased persons who had mental disabilities are performed the
      same as for other deceased persons.
      184 © 2007, 2008 IRI
      Persons Who Are Presumed Dead
      You may have temple ordinances performed for a person who is presumed dead after
      10 years have passed since the time of the presumed death. This policy applies to (1)
      persons who are missing in action, are lost at sea, or have been declared legally dead;
      and (2) persons who disappeared under circumstances where death is apparent but no
      body has been recovered.
      In all other cases of missing persons, temple ordinances may not be performed until 110
      years have passed from the time of the person’s birth.
      Other Policies
      Please see your bishop for information about the following:
      • Temple ordinances involving living people.
      • Temple ordinances to seal the living to the dead.
      • Any policies not covered above.

      maxine nelson <mmnelson@...> wrote:
      I have a question. Someone sent me a manuscript/document listing seven
      generations of my husband's ancestor. It is well written and documented
      (and some of it I suspect was obtained from me in the first place.) I
      know I can't submit the generations now living, and I can submit the
      earlier generations which includes my husband' mother, grnother,
      gg-gmother, etc. But where is the dividing line? Which of their
      descendants can I properly submit? I don't want to offend anyone by
      submitting 'their' close relatives or violate the law of privacy.
      Maybe cutoff date of born 110 years ago and/or has a death date? I
      am comfortable with that. Children born starting in 1910 are probably
      too modern for me to submit unless they are close relatives?
      I don't want to offend anybody, but I don't want to leave anyone
      out. I have found quite a few people that are 'cousins' from a common
      ancestor.
      I have found a few e-mail addresses I sent to for questions I had.
      No replies yet.
      Thanks.
      Maxine in NW Kansas