SCA Garb

  • Scott Bradley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009

      For those of you who are trying to put together enough garb for Pennsic or just need a couple sets to attend local events.  Check out the links below stolen from www.scalife.com.

      1) How to Make a Quick-and-Dirty T-tunic
      This is probably the best one to use when you start out. It explains how to make a simple t-tunic without having to measure things or be an expert tailor.

      2) Forward into the Past
      This official SCA publication also explains how to make a basic t-tunic; however, it’s instructions are for someone with at least some sewing skills. Be sure to check it out, though. Even if you’ve never sewn before, the illustrations and instructions may still be of use to you.

      3) T-tunic - The Period Way
      For those feeling more adventurous yet, this site explains how to make a truly period t-tunic. This method doesn’t waste fabric but it will take much longer to make and will require steady eyes and sure hands.

      4) The Costumer’s Manifesto
      This site is for those with advanced sewing skills and a sure knowledge of exactly what kind of garb they want.

      tunic-for-sale.jpg

      5) By the Sword, Inc.
      Finally, for those who are truly desperate and have money to burn, you can buy a suitable tunic at a site like this. The image above sample of the site’s wares

      Another good place to get some cheap garb is your local Target or Wal-Mart.  While not period patterns or fabric the men’s pajama pants can pass as period pants under a T-tunic.  You can usually pick up a pair for less than $12.

      Men’s: http://www.target.com/Sleepwear-Clothing-Men/b/ref=nav_t_spc_2_12/190-9551133-2466956?ie=UTF8&node=13606751

      Capt. Boris Movila

      Chief of Staff, Midrealm Army

    • Brigita Gescheid