Hello...

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
      Hello. My name is Andy (Garrison MacAndrews). I live in Wapakoneta, Ohio. I used to be active in the SCA, but have been away for a few years. Was looking through upcoming events and saw that FG was having a few here in Wapak. I would really like to get involved and active again. I haven't gotten to look through this group page much just yet. I'm interested in getting into heavy fighting, though I'm starting over from scratch again. I have some garb, but no armor or weapons. Would like to get involved with a local group. I want to help out in any way I can, and could definitely use some help as well. :)
    • Lancelin Peregrinus
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
        On 2 Jan 2012 at 0:49, Andy wrote:

        > Hello. My name is Andy (Garrison MacAndrews). I live in Wapakoneta,
        > Ohio. I used to be active in the SCA, but have been away for a few
        > years. Was looking through upcoming events and saw that FG was having
        > a few here in Wapak. I would really like to get involved and active
        > again. I haven't gotten to look through this group page much just yet.
        > I'm interested in getting into heavy fighting, though I'm starting
        > over from scratch again. I have some garb, but no armor or weapons.
        > Would like to get involved with a local group. I want to help out in
        > any way I can, and could definitely use some help as well. :)

        Andy,

        I'm afraid our group doesn't do anything as far north as Wapakoneta --
        Troy is about as north as our events usually go.

        You're in kind of a no-man's land between SCA groups there. The
        northernmost boundary of Flaming Gryphon is Darke, Miami and
        Champaign counties. The southern boundary of Red Spears is Van Wert,
        Allen and Hancock counties.

        That said, there might be groups close enough to be worth driving to for
        meetings, and certainly for weekend events. The complete listing of the
        groups in Flaming Gryphon and Red Spears can be found here:
        http://www.midrealm.org/seneschallorum/index.phtml

        You'll want to check out the web pages for the two Baronies:
        http://www.midrealm.org/redspears/
        http://www.midrealm.org/gryphony/

        We in Flaming Gryphon would love to see you any time you can make it!
        And of course, you can always post any questions here and we'll do our
        best to answer.

        --
        Lancelin Peregrinus
        Marche of the Winged Hills

        ~~~~~ Randomly-Selected Thought for the Day ~~~~~
        "Perhaps we do the minors of this country harm if First
        Amendment protections, which they will with age inherit fully,
        are chipped away in the name of their protection."
        -- U.S. District Judge Lowell Reed Jr.
      • Scott Bradley
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2012

          Andy,

                      In addition to Lord Ulrich Von Bremen, who I am by no means disparaging and would be excellent help, local to you is also Sir Baldwin of Chelmsford, called Badger.  I have copied him on this email, he may or may not have time to help you as well.    The closest group to you is the March of Marches about an hour away in Bowling Green: http://www.midrealm.org/marshes/  Another fighter copied on this email, from that group, who might be able to help you is Frey Lazaro who lives up that way.  If you still want to make your way down to Dayton, we will do everything we can to help get you weapons and armor to get on the field; contact Lord Tyr, j.cretsinger@... and he can answer questions as the person to help orient new fighters in Flaming Gryphon.  Until the armored fighter website for Flaming Gryphon (www.sableshield.org)  is done go here and there is all kinds of information to help get you started.  http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/Boris/Gryphons_Pride/army.htm.

          Capt. Boris Movila

          Warlord, Barony of Flaming Gryphon

          Hello. My name is Andy (Garrison MacAndrews). I live in Wapakoneta, Ohio. I used to be active in the SCA, but have been away for a few years. Was looking through upcoming events and saw that FG was having a few here in Wapak. I would really like to get involved and active again. I haven't gotten to look through this group page much just yet. I'm interested in getting into heavy fighting, though I'm starting over from scratch again. I have some garb, but no armor or weapons. Would like to get involved with a local group. I want to help out in any way I can, and could definitely use some help as well. :)

        • Berdanier
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2012
            I thought Wapakoneta was Norborough territory???

            Cathryn

            To: FG_Newcomers@yahoogroups.com; andy_the_punk@...
            From: lancelin@...
            Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 23:56:25 -0500
            Subject: Re: [FG_Newcomers] Hello...

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2012

              Cathryn,

              It is technically part of Middle Marches.  See the map at the link below.

              http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Oaken_Pages/middle_marches.htm

              To: FG_Newcomers@yahoogroups.com; andy_the_punk@...
              From: lancelin@...
              Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 23:56:25 -0500

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2012
                Thank you for the link.  I was basing my guess on Mariassa.  I thought she lived up there but I guess we just had an event there.  My brain is not all here today.

                Cat

                To: FG_Newcomers@yahoogroups.com

                To: FG_Newcomers@yahoogroups.com; andy_the_punk@...
                From: lancelin@...
                Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 23:56:25 -0500

                On 2 Jan 2012 at 0:49, Andy wrote:

                > Hello. My name is Andy (Garrison MacAndrews). I live in Wapakoneta,
                > Ohio. I used to be active in the SCA, but have been away for a few
                > years. Was looking through upcoming events and saw that FG was having
                > a few here in Wapak. I would really like to get involved and active
                > again. I haven't gotten to look through this group page much just yet.
                > I'm interested in getting into heavy fighting, though I'm starting
                > over from scratch again. I have some garb, but no armor or weapons.
                > Would like to get involved with a local group. I want to help out in
                > any way I can, and could definitely use some help as well. :)

                Andy,

                I'm afraid our group doesn't do anything as far north as Wapakoneta --
                Troy is about as north as our events usually go.

                You're in kind of a no-man's land between SCA groups there. The
                northernmost boundary of Flaming Gryphon is Darke, Miami and
                Champaign counties. The southern boundary of Red Spears is Van Wert,
                Allen and Hancock counties.

                That said, there might be groups close enough to be worth driving to for
                meetings, and certainly for weekend events. The complete listing of the
                groups in Flaming Gryphon and Red Spears can be found here:
                http://www.midrealm.org/seneschallorum/index.phtml

                You'll want to check out the web pages for the two Baronies:
                http://www.midrealm.org/redspears/
                http://www.midrealm.org/gryphony/

                We in Flaming Gryphon would love to see you any time you can make it!
                And of course, you can always post any questions here and we'll do our
                best to answer.

                --
                Lancelin Peregrinus
                Marche of the Winged Hills

                ~~~~~ Randomly-Selected Thought for the Day ~~~~~
                "Perhaps we do the minors of this country harm if First
                Amendment protections, which they will with age inherit fully,
                are chipped away in the name of their protection."
                -- U.S. District Judge Lowell Reed Jr.

              • Tom Bolenbaugh
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2012
                  Well remember that where you live and where you call home, SCA wise, don't have to be the same.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 4, 2012
                    Hello again. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the info and help. Dayton's not to far away. Don't know how often I'd be able to make it down, but would love to come and practice with you when I can. If I read the site right, will you guys be hosting an event here in Wapak at the fairgrounds on January 21st? If so, hopefully I will get to meet you all. Take care for now, and thanks again. :)

                    Andy

                    --- In FG_Newcomers@yahoogroups.com, Tom Bolenbaugh <tom.bolenbaugh@...> wrote:

                    > Well remember that where you live and where you call home, SCA wise, don't
                    > have to be the same.
                    >
                    > On Monday, January 2, 2012, Berdanier <baroness_cat@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Thank you for the link. I was basing my guess on Mariassa. I thought
                    > she lived up there but I guess we just had an event there. My brain is not
                    > all here today.
                    > >
                    > > Cat
                    > >
                    > > ________________________________
                    > > To: FG_Newcomers@yahoogroups.com
                    > > From: sbradley3@...
                    > > Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 11:32:01 -0500
                    > > Subject: RE: [FG_Newcomers] Hello...
                    > >

                    > > Cathryn,
                    > >

                    > > It is technically part of Middle Marches. See the map at the link below.
                    > >

                    > http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Oaken_Pages/middle_marches.htm
                    > >

                    > > Capt. Boris Movila
                    > >
                    > > Warlord, Barony of Flaming Gryphon

                  • John Cretsinger
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 4, 2012

                      Scott

                      We would love to have you at practice. As Baronial War Chataliene i help get new fighters aclimated. We have loaner armor to use a slew of experienced fighters and some top notch knights. We practice at Driscoll elementry every thursday at 630. Hope to see you there..just ask for Tyr!

                      On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Andy <andy_the_punk@...> wrote:

                      Hello again. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the info and help. Dayton's not to far away. Don't know how often I'd be able to make it down, but would love to come and practice with you when I can. If I read the site right, will you guys be hosting an event here in Wapak at the fairgrounds on January 21st? If so, hopefully I will get to meet you all. Take care for now, and thanks again. :)

                      Andy

                      --- In FG_Newcomers@yahoogroups.com, Tom Bolenbaugh <tom.bolenbaugh@...> wrote:

                      > Well remember that where you live and where you call home, SCA wise, don't
                      > have to be the same.
                      >
                      > On Monday, January 2, 2012, Berdanier <baroness_cat@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Thank you for the link. I was basing my guess on Mariassa. I thought
                      > she lived up there but I guess we just had an event there. My brain is not
                      > all here today.
                      > >
                      > > Cat
                      > >
                      > > ________________________________
                      > > To: FG_Newcomers@yahoogroups.com
                      > > From: sbradley3@...
                      > > Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 11:32:01 -0500
                      > > Subject: RE: [FG_Newcomers] Hello...
                      > >

                      > > Cathryn,
                      > >

                      > > It is technically part of Middle Marches. See the map at the link below.
                      > >

                      > http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Oaken_Pages/middle_marches.htm
                      > >

                      > > Capt. Boris Movila
                      > >
                      > > Warlord, Barony of Flaming Gryphon

                      "Enemies are the price of Honor." - Terry GoodKind

                    • Tom Bolenbaugh
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 4, 2012
                        Hi Scott,

                        We don't have an event scheduled up in Wapak this January, you may be looking at an old site.  The next event in the Barony will be January 14th in Hamilton.

                        http://hawkeskeye.org/12th/twelfthnight.htm

                        It's a fun, small event and a good chance to meet folks.

                        Nico
                      • Tom Bolenbaugh

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 4, 2012
                            Andy,
                            The only non knight event I see is Ceilidh XXIV and it is scheduled for March 10 2012 in Wapakoneta.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 5, 2012
                              Andy,

                              My apologies. I was mistaken on a couple of points.

                              On 1 Jan 2012 at 23:56, I wrote:

                              > I'm afraid our group doesn't do anything as far north as Wapakoneta --
                              > Troy is about as north as our events usually go.

                              Uaually -- but in this case you are correct: our Ceilidh event in March
                              *is* planned for Wapakoneta, which is a bit north of our borders. I
                              hope we see you there!

                              > The northernmost boundary of Flaming Gryphon is Darke, Miami and
                              > Champaign counties.

                              I was going by the Kingdom web site, but it is incorrect. We also have
                              Shelby county, which is just south of Auglaize County (which contains
                              Wapakoneta).

                              That'll teach me to make assumptions!

                              --
                              Lancelin Peregrinus
                              Marche of the Winged Hills

                              ~~~~~ Randomly-Selected Thought for the Day ~~~~~
                              "Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to
                              mankind." -- John F. Kennedy
                            • Dafydd Blaidd
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 5, 2012
                                On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Tom Bolenbaugh wrote:

                                > Oh! Wait, you mean the chivalry retreat. That's a get-together for the
                                > knights of the kingdom. Basically a retreat for our chivalry. Not an
                                > event per-say.

                                On the other hand, we *will* hold an event called Ceilidh at that same
                                site in Wapakoneta on March 10.

                                Regardless, we hope to meet you at an upcoming fight practice or at our
                                Twelfth Night on January 14 in Hamilton.

                                --

                                In Service to Barony and Kingdom
                                /> Baron Dafydd "Taffy" Blaidd, OP