FW: [Spot-News] Increase in Membership Fees 1/1/2011

  • Scott Bradley
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2010
      -----Original Message-----
      From: owner-spot@... [mailto:owner-spot@...] On Behalf Of
      nancyterselic@...
      Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:37 AM
      To: spot-news@...
      Cc: hawkes-keye@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Spot-News] Increase in Membership Fees 1/1/2011

      Found at: http://www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/membership.html

      This announcement is an official informational release by the Society for
      Creative Anachronism , Inc. Permission is granted to reproduce this
      announcement in its entirety in newsletters, websites and electronic mailing
      lists.

      From the Board of Directors

      Due to extraordinary legal expenses from an ongoing lawsuit, the SCA has
      determined that our best option is to raise membership fees in most classes
      by $8.00, effective January 1, 2011. Family membership rates will not
      increase, although the family cap for memberships will be raised by $5.00
      effective the same time.

      When we indicated in 2009 that membership fees would raise gradually over
      the next three years, we were not fully aware of the extent and impact of
      the legal fees required to defend our organization. Earlier this year we
      received a realistic projection for legal expenses through 2011. We are
      committed to protecting not only the SCA Inc., but the assets of every SCA
      group. This lawsuit may go on for additional years and cost-cutting alone
      will not be sufficient.

      We are formulating a plan to get the SCA back on track and are selecting
      options to restructure our operating business model. One option is a move to
      electronic kingdom newsletters with a print-on-demand option for those who
      would like to get their version in hardcopy. With these changes, there are
      many details to consider including: legal issues surrounding the fulfillment
      of our current subscription liability; the development of an electronic
      publishing framework for use by kingdom chroniclers that supports both
      web-publishing and print-on-demand; writing relevant changes to governing
      documents, officer handbooks, and kingdom procedures; and making dramatic
      programming changes to the SCA website and corporate systems.

      The current migration of corporate and Society officer email addresses to a
      more robust infrastructure is a step in this direction.

      It is our hope that as financial circumstances evolve we will be able to
      re-evaluate the entire membership fee structure once the effectiveness of
      the restructured business model can be determined. This would include
      evaluating the necessity of collecting NMS as well as potential reductions
      in membership fees.

      There will be many stages in this process where feedback will be needed and
      solicited. We want to be completely transparent with any changes that will
      be made, and will share details as they become available. As every year, the
      budget will be posted on the SCA website as soon as it is approved for your
      review. Our job is to keep you as fully informed as possible and in that
      spirit we welcome any and all questions and comments. For the moment, please
      submit questions and comments through comments@.... This address does
      not accept attachments for security reasons, so please place all comments in
      the body of your message.

      Finally, this process will be very difficult and take many months to
      complete, so please bear with us. During this time, Board members will be
      attempting to attend as many events as possible to be available to answer
      your questions. The SCA Board of Directors.

      This announcement is an official informational release by the Society for
      Creative Anachronism , Inc. Permission is granted to reproduce this
      announcement in its entirety in newsletters, websites and electronic mailing
      lists.

      "I have a puckish side that will not be denied." - Bones

      "I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was
      service. I acted and behold, service was joy." - Rabindranath Tagore

      Weight Watchers®
      Official Site. Discover Weight Loss Freedom with Weight Watchers Today.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4cf7310e20f44a6dc5st06duc

      From: "nancyterselic@..." <nancyterselic@...>