Re: [F-Costume] Re: Inara costumes

  • Naresha
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
      > Try the DVDs, also they were selling the
      costumes from Firefly > at some website--try that
      too. It actually had the best close > ups of
      Mal's browncoat I've ever seen. I actually save
      those
      > two pics as planned one day to make my husband
      that costume.
      > Pam

      Thanks Pam! I actually did check the site where
      the costumes are being auctioned - alas, that
      dress is not one of them! And I THINK I
      mentioned in my first email - I meant to if I
      didn't say it - that the DVDs aren't any good for
      the bottom half of the dress. You only ever see
      Inara from the waist up except for once and she's
      running down the stairs at the time as well as
      wearing her gold robe over the top. Trust me, I
      have been over that scene in slow-mo as many
      times as I can before going cross-eyed! :-P

      Good luck with Mal's coat - whenever you fet
      around to it! It's a very good coat!

      Resha

      ~To forgive calls upon our love, to forget calls upon our strength~

      AIM: Naresha21 MSN: candyman_gypsy@... Yahoo: fruitcake5m1
      Personal LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/nareshaninya/
      Writing LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/writingsofresha/

      My Website! Slash Me Happy
      http://www.websamba.com/SlashMeHappy

      http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Resha

      http://au.movies.yahoo.com
    • Avien
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
        Hi!

        I made Kaylee's outfit that she wears during the pilot so I got a few good
        looks of Inara's while doing that. This is on the list to make after the
        ones I have fabric for are made up. =)

        Anyway, you were looking for back views of this and I haven't figured out
        how to screencap but I think the website that you listed might be willing to
        take a few extra for you if you asked. Otherwise there are several fan
        boards that might have someone.

        I have the times listed below and what I found at each of them if you want
        to try looking at it on your puter or request a screencap. Most of them I
        went through frame by frame so I don't know how screencapping would work.
        One frame was good but not the next type of thing.

        Anyway, I saw the back neckline to be a simple v without any of the
        gathering detail that is on the front neckline/straps. Center back zipper
        that had a centered application instead of lapped, and definitely not
        invisible. Side back darts that ended before the neckline but prolly went
        down to the hips. A center back godet just like the front godet. The back
        is prolly just in three pieces, the godet and two backs and all of the
        shaping is done by the center back seam and the two darts. The medallions
        on the belt go all the way around. I didn't find a good clean shot of them,
        wasn't concentrating on that too much, but I think the medallions fit
        exactly or the links are taken in slightly on either side of the center back
        one.

        Any more questions and I'll see what I can do.
        HTH!
        Avien

        Ch. 9 39:08-09
        doesn't show back view but pretty much convinces me no lining all the way

        Ch. 9 39:25-26
        Center back zipper and center back godet just like the front - shows how far
        the godet goes up

        Ch. 18 1:16:43
        Centered zipper rather than lapped or invisible and shows how far up the
        godet goes as well, also shows back neckline

        Ch. 18 1:17:09
        Back dart

        Ch. 18 1:17:42
        Rather blurry but shows the line of the back neck

        Ch. 19 1:21:32-33
        Back dart prolly goes up to the shoulder blade, not all the way to the
        neckline

      • Sarah
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
          This is the same image, but somewhat larger.
          http://gallery.angel-btvs.co.uk/displayimage.php?album=233&pos=29

          I know there were some shots in the making of bits of the dvd that
          showed her from the back. If I get a chance, I'll find them and cap
          them for you.
          Sarah

          --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Naresha Ninya"
          <north_shore_fruitcake@y...> wrote:

          > Hey folks, I'm pretty quiet over here normally, but now I've set
          my
          > sights on a non-LotR costume! :-)
          >
          > I've decided I want to make a copy of Inara's purple dress from
          the
          > 2hr episode Serenity of the TV show Firefly. It was intended to
          be
          > the pilot, but apparently ended up screening later through the
          > series.
          >
          > She wears it through a lot of the episode, however, she often has
          > gold robe over the top and in addition to that, Inara is almost
          > shown solely from the waist up! We do see the lower half of the
          > dress when she is running down the stairs about two thirds of the
          > way through , but my TV isn't really designed to play DVDs and my
          > computer isn't DVD compatible either, so needless to say I can't
          get
          > a good look at it.
          >
          > Try as I might, I have only been able to find ONE full length shot
          > of the dress, but it is front on and gives me NO idea on the back
          of
          > it. I was wondering if there was anyone here who was more
          familiar
          > with Firefly costumes or knew where I could find someone - or
          > someones! - who could help me out! Below is the link for the full
          > length shot - you're looking at Morena Baccarin, the pretty
          brunette
          > on the far left had side of the bottom row.
          >
          > http://still-flying.net/images/promopics/index.php?
          p=group06.jpg&pg=0

          > Any advice would be GREAT!
          >
          > Resha

        • Sarah
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
            I went ahead and capped what I found. Just after Mal, Zoe and Jayne
            get back to Serenity and Mal is telling Inara to get to the other
            shuttle, she turns away from him and turns her back to the camera.
            Sorry, forgot to check the chapter and scene number. You can clearly,
            well, kinda, see the back of the dress.
            http://rivendelldesigns.net/firefly/inara_purple/
            If you watch it in action, you'll see it appears to be slit in the
            back just as it is in the front.
            Sarah