Re: Fw: OT: SCA 12th Night Costume STOLEN

  • Lady Kareena Sartek
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
      Depends if the thief stole them for other than as costumes. When we
      were moving by U-haul and stayed the night at a motel, our U=Hual was
      stolen and unfortunately huuby had stuffed our costumes in a piece of
      furniture, which was one of the stuff they stoled out of the truck.
      They also took my son's Ewok costume at the time, not the mask we
      made, so we assumed thought it was a footed furry sleeper? Hope she
      finds them though--never got outrs back, though swore before left El
      Cajon I thought saw a ring of mine, a dragon on, in a pawnshop window.
      The cops also told us jewelry can be sold on the black market and
      alot of other stuff too.
      Pam

      > Hello all - just passing this along, the more people that know
      about
      > it, the less chance the bad guys have of getting rid of it....
      > Sandy
      >
      > >Begin forwarded message:
      > >
      > > > From: "Elise Engelhardt" <engelhardte@a...>
      > > > Date: Mon Jan 9, 2006 9:53:17 AM US/Pacific
      > > >
      > > > Some beautiful, painstakingly handmade costumes and jewelry
      were stolen
      > > > Saturday (1/7) from a car in front of an SCA friend of mines'
      house off
      > > > 680 & Hostetter. Just thought somebody might see this on Ebay
      or
      > > > something. There is a link to pictures of everything. ~Elise
      > > >
      > > > From: Rachael Keish
      > > >
      > > > Hello all-
      > > > (I'm sending this post to literally everyone in my email
      address book.
      > > > At a minimum, it will serve as a sad reminder to never leave
      anything
      > > > of value in your car.)
      > > >
      > > > Genevieve de Vendome's (Toni Whyte's) beautiful Elizabethan
      12th Night
      > > > costume and jewelry was STOLEN from her car in front of my
      house last
      > > > night.
      > > >
      > > > Below is a detailed list of the missing items which are of great
      > > > sentimental value (not to mention a lot of work on the part of
      many
      > > > SCA artisans). Several pictures are also posted online at:
      > > > http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hysteria95126/my_photos
      > > > The album is "Stolen gown belongs to Toni aka Genevieve."
      > > >
      > > > Please cross post his missive to any and all lists that you can
      think
      > > > of in hopes of locating the stolen items; with only six degrees
      of
      > > > separation, hopefully someone somewhere will see these if &
      when they
      > > > surface.
      > > >
      > > > If anyone hears or sees anything resembling these at pawn
      > > > shops/antique stores/email lists/ ebay, please let me know:
      > > > rachael DOT keish AT gmail DOT com.
      > > > I'm offering a reward for the gowns and pendants, no
      questions asked,

      > > > just to try and recover them.
      > > >
      > > > Sincerely,
      > > > Marguerite du Royon
      > > > AKA Rachael Keish
      > > > ____________________________________________
      > > >
      > > > Stolen item descriptions:
      > > > - A custom made rennaissance-type pendant of 22 kt. gold,
      emeralds,
      > > > and a black baroque pearl. Piece was of a dolphin being ridden
      by a
      > > > sea-nymph. Black baroque pearl forms the dolphin's head, and the
      > > > dolphin is suspended from a green emerald pin by two chains. An
      > > > emerald dangled also below the dolphin.
      > > >
      > > > - Laurel's medallion pendant of a renaissance style.
      Cloisonnee, with
      > > > a background of gold with a green laurel wreath, within a silver
      > > > frame. The laurel pendant is suspended from a pin by two
      chains, and
      > > > three freshwater pearls dangles from the bottom of it.
      > > >
      > > > - Custom-made 16th Century Elizabethan gown, with hoop skirt and
      > > > corset. White brocade, with gold trim. Sleeves are made of
      strips of
      > > > brocade with gold trim, that have white silk organza puffs in
      between
      > > > them. The matching gold pill-box-type round hat has embroidery
      and
      > > > pearls around the sides, and a red cross of toulouse
      embroidered on
      > > > top.
      > > >
      > > > - Custom-made red velveteen open gown/ropa/overgown with gold
      silk
      > > > lining. Short rounded sleeves, made of crossed-strapwork
      trimmed in
      > > > red and gold braid, with white silk-organza puffs showing
      through.
      > > > The collar shows the gold lining and has two red cross of
      toulouse
      > > > embroidered on it at each corner.
      > > >
      > > > - Ruby cabachone earrings, with three seed-pearls.
      > > >
      > > > - Costume jewelry set of necklace, bracelet, and earrings. Gold
      plate
      > > > with red marquis shaped stones.
      > >

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > "Those Who Fail To Learn History
      > Are Doomed to Repeat It;
      > Those Who Fail To Learn History Correctly --
      > Why They Are Simply Doomed.
      >
      > Achemdro'hm
      > "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
      > -- C.Y. 4971
      >
      > Andromeda

    • mellymel_hsv
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
        The cops also told us jewelry can be sold on the black market and
        alot of other stuff too.
        Pam

        Sad but true, most pawn shops ask no questions when they get jewelry. I have a friend who's been in the business for 19 years as a gold dealer and he has at least a little more of a conscience about it, but he tells me about how the market works. They just buy it to sell to refineries where it will be melted down and reprocessed. Unless it obviously has some serious value to it as a finished piece (as in antique or something along those lines, which is rare in a pawn shop). With the price of gold steadily rising these days (today it's running around $540/troy oz. USD, which is actually headed down a little this week) they can make a killing off of it, because 9 times of 10, the person selling it to the pawn shop has no idea of the gold market and what it's worth or how to find out even. They turn around and sell it at the current market price (which is a lot of times double, triple, even quadruple what they bought it for). Most cases are engagement/wedding rings
        from divorcees or people just down on their luck who need the cash, but they get the thieves as well.

        And that's so very sad! Such beautiful work! Will pass this around in the hope that it helps her!

        Love and Light,
        Mel

      • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
          Sorry - copied the post without the locale: Fremont,
          California (Bay area, for those who don't recognize the city).

          Sandy