costuming Les Miserables

  • CAT
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2005
      Thanks to my charming daughter, I have been volunteered to do the
      costuming of her high school's musical, Les Mis. Argh!!! I have a
      picture book and am very familiar with the period for the cotumes but
      I would appreciate greatly any and all help for references you all
      might have. I'll keep you posted on my progress as I go along.
      Thanks!
      Cheryl
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 2005
        >>Thanks to my charming daughter, I have been volunteered to do the
        costuming of her high school's musical, Les Mis. Argh!!!

        <G> You can't run from your kids... you just get volunteered.

        >>I have a
        picture book and am very familiar with the period for the cotumes but
        I would appreciate greatly any and all help for references you all
        might have

        Show Costume Plot is here:
        http://www.costume.com/rental/showplot/LesMiserablesschooledition.htm

        But need a lot more info before we could answer anything else. Are you and
        a few other experienced folks making these. Are you experienced in
        historical and that time period? Or are the parents responsible for
        providing the kids costumes and you're just coordinating. Budget???
        Parents each paying for their own, etc.

        You mention a picture book... is that of historical costume in general, the
        period? What? What's your book budget? And time to study before you've
        got to be sewing....

        All that said, best bet is to get to a good library, a college library is
        better than a community library. If you've got time, immerse yourself in
        the painting of the time as well. Patterns: http://www.gbacg.org/buying.htm

        On the other hand... if there's no time and no budget, just know the basic
        shapes. Look in thrift stores for coats you can cut down and shape. You
        can bind the edges in seam binding... so you just cut and shape.

        Women's... see our hobbit shirt instructions. When costumed Oliver! for
        high school level. We found cheep fabric and bought 10 yards for each girl.
        We jammed 8 into the shirts and skipped petticoats on all of them. Was
        faster. But to do that you need to make a very thick sturdy waist band,
        break a few needles and mutilate a lot of pins. (3 inch waistband, 4
        thicknesses of the heaviest interfacing... but some of those skirts are
        still being used 15 years later).

        Remember things like head coverings for all, aprons or shawls to accent the
        pieces..

        For the poor, for high school.. if they wear uniforms... use the too small,
        worn out uniform bits where you can.

        Les Miz is all about class differences. A lot of the costumes are going to
        need to be aged... and you'd be surprised what it will do to school
        uniforms. Start with tea... and go on from there

        http://www.costumes.org/advice/costcraftsmanual/tmpjk15.htm

        http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Fabric/Distressing.htm

        http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Leather/DistressLeather.htm

        Have fun...