RE: [F-Costume] King Kong Costume Questions

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2005
      >>She is definitely wearing a velvet robe (pale green with some sort of
      floral etching?) when they show her in her room - and it is a different robe
      when she is staked out after supposedly she is taken from her room (hmmm,
      did she have time to change? LOL).

      Ah the fun of movie magic and folks changing their minds.

      >> That robe is plain (off-white?) with a lace strip or something down the
      center front

      It starts eggshell and then gets darker. It's not actually just plain.
      There is a woven pattern in it. Found it is just one pic I was playing
      with. Cannot find it at all in others. Geeze, what was some of this?
      Reshoots??? w/ out a backup???

      >>and ties at the collar.

      I was just thinking it was a ripped collar, but it does look like a big tie.
      Weird.

      >> Don't think the length changes - just looks shorter when her arms are
      help upward.

      The tree bridge/stake scenes... unless the wind is blowing VERY hard... it's
      not mid calf. The sleeves are there. So she's wearing the robe, but length
      doesn't match up.

      >> I did look later in the scenes where she is standing looking at Kong and
      the robe is mid-calf when her arms are down.

      It grows again.

      >>Don't even remember the robe in the corridor (I mean, what it looked
      like).

      Very similar. Different voided pattern... still looks velvet though.
      Because of the color grading can't tell if it's blue or green. Also can't
      tell if she's wearing the same slip.

      >>BTW-she has some wonderful costumes! I love the flowy white dress at the
      end.

      Yes and it's a great twist on what the origin of the dress is. (See, I am
      being slightly spoiler conscious.) Just a tiny little surprise, but nice.

      For other folks... best pics here:
      http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/king_kong/photos.php . And, as you may be
      figuring out... there will be a small Kong Costume site. Besides
      documenting a few costumes, it will also allow us to try out some new stuff.
      OK... so it's coming out before the scrapbook update, but both are coming
      this year.

    • Dale Rae
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 19, 2005
        Cat,
        I did really enjoy the time period stuff in this movie - from the depression scenes to the haircuts/styles & costumes. Very nice and made the movie fun to watch. I am going to check out that site you posted on the costumes as I may want to do some doll costumes!
        Dale
        PS-and loved Andy Serkis in his role (other than Kong!). :)

        Dale Rae Designs
        info@...
        www.dalerae.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 19, 2005
          >>I did really enjoy the time period stuff in this movie - from the
          depression scenes to the haircuts/styles & costumes. Very nice and made the
          movie fun to watch.

          Very stylized 30s. Looking at family pics was my first introduction to that
          era... a lot of the folks were dressed much more 20s and much more battered.
          The costumes were more of a "fantasy" 30s. Accurate for the time, but
          didn't feel worn or show enough differences among the different levels of
          folks . Yes, Act III is formal clothing and Act I is every day, but the
          texture wasn't as deep as expected. (OK, I'm really picky.)

          >> I am going to check out that site you posted on the costumes as I may
          want to do some doll costumes!

          I've have enhanced of those photos up in a day or two. I've also got quite
          a few of the original Kong stuff saved. I know the DVD is out... but have
          old vid caps that show the richness of at least Ann's original stuff. Will
          pop those up later... and then DVD versions eventually. Had studied those
          because I wanted to do a whole wardrobe for Gene from the original. Nice
          bias stuff.

          Not sure if I'll get that web up quit as fast, but we'll see.

          >>PS-and loved Andy Serkis in his role (other than Kong!). :)

          It looked like he was really having fun with it.

        • swimarcher@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 19, 2005
            I guess I didn't recognize Andy out of his Kong or Gollum outfits. I just
            saw the movie this weekend. What role does he play in the movie?
            Mark

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 19, 2005
              >>I guess I didn't recognize Andy out of his Kong or Gollum outfits.

              Lumpy the cook: http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view
              <http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Action/Ki
              ng_Kong&image=kingkong53.jpg&img=9&tt>
              &link=Action/King_Kong&image=kingkong53.jpg&img=9&tt=

              -Cat-

              _____