Re: [F-Costume] Re: Costume Con 24 design contest

  • mellymel_hsv
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 4, 2005
      --- nmentor467 <nelly.mentor@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Mel. I used both types of dye, though the
      > Fiber Reactive
      > proved to be less 'stable' on the silk than the
      > acid. But for
      > straight, vat dyeing, I'd guess both types would
      > give similar results.
      >
      > The FR dye definitely had more violet undertones
      > though, at least
      > this particular batch from Dharma did. The amazing
      > thing is that in
      > sufficiently concentrated doses, it comes out navy/
      > midnight blue.
      > Funny, that.

      Yeah, I'm still working out quirks to dyeing myself.
      A recent batch of charcoal grey FR dye (and plenty of
      it) on silk velvet turned out taupish-lavender.
      Testing in black Rit produced pretty much the exact
      same color. *scratches head* Still trying things to
      get a charcoal grey. . .

      I've pretty much decided never to use the FR stuff on
      100% silk anymore, unless I'm looking for a pale,
      possibly slightly shifted version of the given color.
      FR periwinkle and lavender dyes worked fine for my
      Dream gown (a pale color), but when I dyed some
      habotai with FR navy and midnight blue dyes for my
      Blood Red undergown, it turned out vivid royal purple,
      even after 15 hours in the dye bath. Pretty color,
      but not exactly what I was looking for.

      -Mel

      __________________________________
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • jehanni2
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 4, 2005
        --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Judy Mitchell <judymitch@o...>
        wrote:

        > And I believe Jonatha is lurking on the list as well, she
        has
        a number
        > of designs in the folio, and some that won as well.
        >
        > My we are a creative bunch! that's great!!
        >
        > -Judy

        I am lurking--can't wait to see the whole folio with everyone's
        designs, and more besides. As to us being a creative bunch, I'm
        thinking that Madame Moderator and other list participants' (gentle)
        haranguing about deadlines, encouraging, explaining, discussing, and
        overall attentiveness to the contest is a Good Thing (by the way, my
        mom used those initial caps long before Martha Stewart trademarked
        them). I am one who feels creativity begets creativity--knowing
        others are interested in a project tends to spark my own thoughts
        and inventions. It's not one-ups-manship competition,
        but...say...the fractalization of inspiration.

        And we need more inspiration happening in the world.

        Jonatha
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 4, 2005
          jehanni2 wrote:

          > And we need more inspiration happening in the world.

          Jean's trying to nudge to to doing something for CC25 in St Louis.
          dunno... my artistic abilities.... I'm much better at analyizing than
          coming up with something whole-cloth (as it were).