Sculpy for decroative buttons?

  • ellen_rustad
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2014
      Hello smart people!
      I am making WInkie outfits (the Wicked Witch's tower guards in the Wizard of Oz movie) for my hubby and myself. I cannot find the silver decorative buttons that adorn the outfit, so I am making them out of scuply/premo clay.
      My question is: what do you use to fasten the clay button to the fabric? I want the button's surface to be smooth, so it will need shanks in the back. I did not find button shanks at the craft store, but found jump rings instead. THe buttons are strictly decorative, and since I am not going to wash the outfits, the buttons do not need to tolerate washing.
      Any helpful tips out there, especially before I start making about 100+ of them?
      Thanks!
      ellen
    • jehanni2
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2014

        Having made some 2 1/2 in diameter, 1/4 in thick buttons from Fimo to seat LEDs for a lighted costume, I can also tell you that poly-clay buttons are fairly heavy for their size. I did not have much trouble with breakage, but the buttons were to stabilize the LED wiring, not functionally buttoning and unbuttoning, and located at the hem of a tea-length  skirt, so not in a place that got a lot of wear. 1/4 in thick is probably over-engineered. ;-)

        My tip for making is, just as you make a mold for pouring the resin, you'll want to make a jig for bending the wire shanks.  You can use a wig-jig or similar brand to make sure you're making a consistent curve.

        You might consider using cheap wire coat-hangers (the thinnest ones you can get) for your wire stock.

        If the only wire you can find is craft wire, you can always hammer it once you've made the curve to harden it, but it's less tedious to start with harder wire.

        Good luck!

        Jonatha