Scuply Buttons

  • ellen_rustad
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 7, 2014
      Hey All!
      I did not see my first post, so I am repeating it here. Sorry if this is a duplicate.
      I am making WInkie Outfits (The Wicked Witch's tower guards from the Wizard of Oz movie) for myself and my husband. I cannot find, nor am willing to pay for, the buttons that adorn the outfit.
      I planned on using Sculpy/Premo clay to make the buttons, and attach a fastener prior to baking, and spray paint them once done. I could not find shanks at the craft store, so I bought jump rings instead. I want the buttons to be secure, however the outfits are not going to be washed/dry cleaned. The buttons are decorative only,
      So, is there any advice anyone has before I start making over 100 clay buttons? I figured this would be a good place to start, so thank you in advance for any help!

      Ellen
      Message 3 of 12 , Apr 7, 2014
        Hi Ellen,

        What if you used the DIY covered buttons? You could just attach the design to the top. (http://shemadeitcrafts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Fabric-covered-Buttons-She-Made-it.jpg) You could also use small eye screws set in the clay.

        Another option, other than polymer clay, is to make a mold and cast the buttons out of resin. They will be much more durable and you can make a ton fast.

        Sheree

        Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7, 2014
          Why not just get the right diameter dowel and slice it to whatever thickness is appropriate?  would save time and money.  There is also a small sort of staple you can get in the hardware section which would work for button shanks. Or you could just drill two holes in them.

          Sha

          Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 11:28 AM
          Subject: [F-Costume] Re: Scuply Buttons

          Message 5 of 12 , Apr 7, 2014
            Don't think jump rings will hold w/ clay.... and not sure clay will have
            the strengh in general to put up w/. the abuse a button takes.

            At least you need to anchor the button. To get the shank to hold better
            you want something like __O__ (consider the O open at the bottom a
            bit.) Those bars will hold into the clay better.

            I like the resin idea better to... but use this shape of anchor.

            What about taking a plain button and over painting it or something?

            -Cat-
          • ellen_rustad
            Message 6 of 12 , Apr 7, 2014
              thanks, never thought of resin....do you think I can mix it to be silver metallic colored? May have to check out the art supply store this week. thanks!!
              Ellen
            • ellen_rustad
              Message 7 of 12 , Apr 7, 2014
                Thanks Sha, we had considered that. However, I don't want the holes in the top of the button. (I am kinda fussy!) We had considered it, though. Husband is already making the spears, so he has his job!
                Ellen
              • ellen_rustad
                Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7, 2014
                  I thought about buying buttons, but the size and shape and quantity makes it almost as expensive as the wool felt!
                  I think I will try the resin, however, as that seems to be a better choice.
                  Thanks all for the advice!
                  Cat-do you have an idea where to find such shanks or what they are called? I have yet to go to the fabric store (again) to look

                  Ellen
                  Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7, 2014
                    On 4/7/2014 3:31 PM, ellen_rustad@... wrote:
                    > Cat-do you have an idea where to find such shanks or what they are
                    > called? I
                    You can make them. All you need is a pair of needle nose pliers and on
                    round nose. Get a stiff or med stiff wire. (Just not the very soft
                    jewelry twist kind.)

                    Message 10 of 12 , Apr 8, 2014
                      You can absolutely tint resin. In fact there is a metal dust that can be sprinkled on the mold before you add the resin that is in fact metal so when the cast is pulled it looks exactly like a metal piece. You can also mix it into the resin but this uses up more of the powder.

                      Here is the info - http://www.smooth-on.com/faq_display.php?faq_id=6

                      The Engineer Guy is a supplier http://www.theengineerguy.com/

                      The costs look high but it takes very little material to make button molds so don't order large quantities. In fact you can make the master mold out of polymer clay then run the resin casts out of it.

                      Sheree

                      Message 11 of 12 , Apr 8, 2014
                        Is this the costume you are making? And you want to make the buttons on the chest and sleeves?

                        http://haveyounerd.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/myth_magic_8.jpg

                        Message 12 of 12 , May 30, 2014
                          Yes, that is the exact costume I made. My husband made the buttons out of wooden beads (1.5" and 1" sizes). He put one bead on a dowel, then sanded one edge flat (he's a woodworker/carpenter, he has the skill and know-how not to grind away the bead. Unlike my skill with a sander!). Then he dipped the sanded bead into silver paint (dowel and all) and set them up to dry.
                          They were prefect!

                          I will post photos in the photo section.

                          Ellen

                          Sorry for the delay in response, once he figured out how to do it, we finished the buttons and the outfits.