Stripping adhesives?

  • Dennis Carr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2014
      So a couple of years ago, I asked about stuff in context of fairy wings
      - one of which was adhesives.

      I'm currently in the process of rebuilding said wings, but I find that
      the wire frames don't like to let go of 3M Super 77 Spray, which is the
      substance I used to adhere cellophane to a wire frame. It worked OK,
      but I began a strip when I discovered Fantasy Film
      (http://www.artglitter.com), and found it to be significantly thicker
      than the cellophane film I was using.

      So all this said, I need one piece of advice - what's a good solvent to
      strip 3M Super 77 from a surface?

      -Dennis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2014
        Depending on the surface - acetone. It won't hurt metal, glass or most plastics (test first because it will melt some plastics.)

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2014
          On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 09:28:15 -0800 (PST)
          slc_fire <slc_fire@...> wrote:

          > Depending on the surface - acetone. It won't hurt metal, glass or
          > most plastics (test first because it will melt some plastics.)

          Oh, that'd be perfect, actually - perhaps nail polish remover, if we
          have any around the house. The wings are basically wire frames, and I
          want to strip the last bits off in the first place. =D

          -Dennis
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9, 2014
            If you know the exact adhesive... which you do... check the company's
            website... and/or drop them an e-mail.

            -Cat-
          • Dennis Carr
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 16, 2014
              On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 21:25:27 -0800
              Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

              > If you know the exact adhesive... which you do... check the
              > company's website... and/or drop them an e-mail.

              Seems that nail polish remover didn't quite do it.

              An old tin of Goof-Off, however, did quite nicely, after it was handed
              to me by a friend. =D

              -Dennis