RE: RE: Re: [F-Costume] Source of beaded chiffon

  • jehanni2
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 6, 2013
      Oh, and forgot to mention you *can* sew your own. I've done it using a vintage Vogue pattern that belonged to my mom. In their current collection, V8311 looks like a similar pattern, but doesn't include an over-the-elbow length, so you'd have the experiment and measure.

      I wanted gloves in a specific christmas-themed poinsettia lace, and because of the tiny seam allowances, I sewed them by hand. The thumb gusset is most complicated, but the rest is just (tedious) attention to making even stitches, and lots of little parts.

      ---In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, <f-costume@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      You may have already tried googling "opera gloves" but if not, this website appears to have a variety of options at different price points. I have not ordered from them, but they look like they might be worth exploring. http://www.greatlookz.com/category/dressy_gloves.gloves_by_length.opera_length/

      ---In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, <f-costume@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hopefully there are no big costume shops looking for saris now. :) And because this is my own costume I can go with anything that strikes my fancy - granted I really LOVE the facetted bead detail. I love the weight and swoosh the beads make. The other thing I'm finding hard to find are brown over the elbow opera gloves. I've found every color BUT brown. Sigh.

      Sheree

      Sent from my iPad

      On Sep 27, 2013, at 5:21 PM, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

      On 9/27/2013 7:48 AM, slc_fire wrote:
      ZOMG!! EUREKA! I've hit the mother load! Indian Dupatta! The sari fabric seems to be just a bit heavier but the dupatta are perfect. Now the hard part is picking just one!
      Thanks!!
      Multiple times in history, sari's were a major component of dresses.  So... it's not just a cheat, it's history.  Ex: regency... though often they went for more embroidery, less bead; Edwardian (your "Titanic" era).

      I'm pretty sure (but just from my research), the My Fair Lady Embassy  gown and for Cammeron's Titanic movie his folks were trolling for the old fashion chiffon beading at the same time I was looking for one of my sister's wedding dresse... and we drove the sari shops crazy.)

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2013
        Thanks! I'll take a look!

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2013
          Thanks! This may be a better route all around. I have very thick upper arms so I have a hard time finding anything that will fit. This also gives me the freedom to use any material I want.