Re: [F-Costume] Source of beaded chiffon

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2013
      On 9/30/2013 5:28 AM, slc_fire wrote:
      I'm not recreating the exact dress colors. I'm using the jump dress as inspiration or guide to create a woodland fairy/sprite/faun. I want it to be structurally the same as the jump dress (same kinds of fabric and same pattern of dress) but in brown and green instead of black and red.
      You should be able to find something w/ those frosty faceted beads.  Those are more modern.  It's the fabrics w/ the old style, finer silver and gold work that don't exist.

      As more beading is becoming computerized and the Chinese net (looks like tule, but it utterly soft) is used more... there are fabrics and look (somewhat) and behave (almost exactly) like turn of the 18th and 19 century fabrics.

      When the whole world went crazy for the Titanic dresses  it was almost funny to watch the scramble to get something back into stock that had the look for all those costume, bridal and prom dresses that EVERYONE had to have.  But, the good thing is that led to wonderful tone on tone embroidery on the net fabric.    If anyone was at a Costume Con or Costume College where I did that "Historic Dress - Modern Fabrics" panel... and saw me do the trick w/ whipping 2 yards though a ring...  That was non beaded net w/ just the fancy embroidery.

      Oh... and just for fun.  Since I'd been running around ALL over SoCal... and I do mean ALL over... and Moez/EmBe was so totally sweet and calling San Francisco and New York for the fabric... got a wonderful rep for being some kind of a Crystal Ball for fabric.  They forget I said "wedding" and Moez added to the fiction.   And then came the silk and cotton velvet craze from LOTR.    Fun. Fun.

      -Cat-
    • jehanni2
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 6, 2013
        You may have already tried googling "opera gloves" but if not, this website appears to have a variety of options at different price points. I have not ordered from them, but they look like they might be worth exploring. http://www.greatlookz.com/category/dressy_gloves.gloves_by_length.opera_length/

        ---In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, <f-costume@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hopefully there are no big costume shops looking for saris now. :) And because this is my own costume I can go with anything that strikes my fancy - granted I really LOVE the facetted bead detail. I love the weight and swoosh the beads make. The other thing I'm finding hard to find are brown over the elbow opera gloves. I've found every color BUT brown. Sigh.

        Sheree

        Sent from my iPad

        On Sep 27, 2013, at 5:21 PM, Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

        On 9/27/2013 7:48 AM, slc_fire wrote:
        ZOMG!! EUREKA! I've hit the mother load! Indian Dupatta! The sari fabric seems to be just a bit heavier but the dupatta are perfect. Now the hard part is picking just one!
        Thanks!!
        Multiple times in history, sari's were a major component of dresses.  So... it's not just a cheat, it's history.  Ex: regency... though often they went for more embroidery, less bead; Edwardian (your "Titanic" era).

        I'm pretty sure (but just from my research), the My Fair Lady Embassy  gown and for Cammeron's Titanic movie his folks were trolling for the old fashion chiffon beading at the same time I was looking for one of my sister's wedding dresse... and we drove the sari shops crazy.)

        -Cat-
      • jehanni2

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 7, 2013
            Thanks! I'll take a look!

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 7, 2013
              Thanks! This may be a better route all around. I have very thick upper arms so I have a hard time finding anything that will fit. This also gives me the freedom to use any material I want.