Re: [F-Costume] regency patterns

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 9 8:53 AM
      I really like the Regency Wardrobe pattern from La Mode Bagatelle. It covers a very broad range of sizes, and has enough interchangeable parts (bodices, skirts, sleeves) so you can make a great many different looking styles.

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 9 1:42 PM
        On 9/9/2013 8:10 AM, s wrote:
        > What is your favorite regency gown pattern? Do you build skin out
        > (including a period corset) or do you use modern undergarments?
        I've got to admit that I often cheat with Regency. You can get a decent
        silhouette w/ a bra and a slip made off the dress pattern w/o sleeves,
        and maybe a lower neck. It will look a bit better if you have a long
        line bra because that fixes your posture a bit.

        That said, corded corsets aren't too bad. And you may want to put a
        small pad just below the high back seam so the dress drapes down from
        there w/o sitting on da rear.

        The biggest trick w/ Regency patterns is fitting the bust. Be sure to
        muslin. Even the folkwear pattern has problems there.

        -c-
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 10 5:54 AM
          Thanks Cat!

          I'm prepared (and dreading) mocking up. I'm a well endowed lady, as are the friends I'm making for, so I get the feeling I'm going to have to alter patterns to get around the assets. Am I correct in thinking these dresses aren't supposed to fit around and under the breats to an empire waist? They would have had stays to flatten the girls and smooth the torso but not cinching it in tiny right?

          My concern - the ladies I'm making these for insist on wearing their victorian corsets to slim their waist line. I keep trying to tell them it won't look right.

          Where do I find a good stay pattern? I have time to make both stays and dresses so I'd rather they have the right undergarments or fashion the dresses to fit a modern bra instead of the V corsets.

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 10 6:42 AM
            I've made the La Mode Bagatelle pattern for a large lady, and it looked great on her. As far as I know she wore modern underwear with it. The dress is an empire waist style, so slimming the waist is not going to show at all on the outside. I think it's one reason this style is flattering to larger ladies, you don't need a waist to look good in it. Also it's not about flattening the bust.
            The LMB Regency Wardrobe pattern goes up to at least a 22, which was what I recall making... I may have added a little bit to the length of the front pieces just below the bust, because she was very well endowed. we used the crossover front style, which is very nice, results in a v-neck line.
            Don't dread the muslin! the mockup is your friend, use it to fully understand the construction as well as refining the fit. Since the skirt hangs loose from the high waist band, you don't necessarily need to mock up the skirt if you want to skimp on the muslin. but you do need to test the fit of the bodice and sleeve, because those really do need to fit properly in order to look right and feel comfortable.

            --
            Sarah Strong
            sarahstrong13@...

          • Carol Kocian
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 10 6:51 AM
              The Regency era has more of a natural shape than what we usually
              think of with stays and corsets. With modern undergarments, you could
              try a balconette bra. That's the type that lifts and has the straps
              set farther out, towards the shoulders, for a maximum square-shaped
              exposure. Stays of the time started to have gores in them, more of a
              cup shape.

              The waistline is high, so it's not necessary to have a small natural
              waistline. The problem, and your clients may be aware of it, is that
              high-waisted gowns can make the wearer look pregnant. Most women have
              a bit of stomach protrusion, unless very slim or with tight, toned abs.

              There is a trick to get around that: after building the bodice, hang
              the front of the skirt a bit farther forward. Don't have it right
              against the midriff. If it starts a little more forward, it will
              drape past the stomach and minimize any poochiness.

              War of 1812 reenactment is popular these days, so do you know if
              there is an active group in your area? Gadsby's Tavern Museum, in
              Alexandria, Virginia (just outside DC) is having a costume symposium
              in a couple of weeks. The theme is the regency era, so you would be
              able to find experts who can help.

              -Carol

              On Sep 10, 2013, at 8:54 AM, slc_fire wrote:

              > Thanks Cat!
              >
              > I'm prepared (and dreading) mocking up. I'm a well endowed lady, as
              > are the friends I'm making for, so I get the feeling I'm going to
              > have to alter patterns to get around the assets. Am I correct in
              > thinking these dresses aren't supposed to fit around and under the
              > breats to an empire waist? They would have had stays to flatten the
              > girls and smooth the torso but not cinching it in tiny right?
              >
              > My concern - the ladies I'm making these for insist on wearing
              > their victorian corsets to slim their waist line. I keep trying to
              > tell them it won't look right.
              >
              > Where do I find a good stay pattern? I have time to make both stays
              > and dresses so I'd rather they have the right undergarments or
              > fashion the dresses to fit a modern bra instead of the V corsets.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Sheree
              >
              > Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we
              > might as well dance!

            • judymitch
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 10 7:21 AM
                I also made mine using la mode bagatelle (and I'm part of the large league  too ;) ). I just made the bodice petticoat for under and we semi-draped the gown since I eas modeling it on one of the hostess' s dress from Regency House. No corsetting involved.

                Regency is more about straight columnar look than curvy corsetted looks. Some of the younger girls wore corsets, but as you already know they weren't V style.
                    -Judy

                Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone
              • Susan Toker
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 10 7:40 AM
                  Via google search
                  https://www.google.com/#q=regency+corsets

                  To help with time/effort there may be modern shape wear or even bra that would work to support the ladies but smooth the body.  Basically something that supports the bust with no straps or thin straps near the shoulder points (arms).
                  Regency dresses are forgiving on waists.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 10 8:23 AM
                    Thanks for the tips Carol! If I drape the front skirt a bit more foraward like you said can I still drape the back? I was going to follow the back drape on this dress http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1ZDyU_gBTFg/Tiznkw9BNoI/AAAAAAAABo4/XGVJ3SWiwSg/s320/white+regency3.JPG Would that be too much draping if I do front and back?

                    I'm in the Atlanta area so I'll have to look into groups around here.