Re: [F-Costume] Stiffening fabric

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2013
      On 6/20/2013 9:08 AM, Daniel Sanders wrote:
      > I just ordered a Marc Jacobs fabric online and before it arrives I was
      > wondering about how to stiffen it just in case it was slightly too
      > soft handed. It's a silk cotton blend, so I obviously don't want to
      > use starch. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves? I have read
      > conflicting information about using hairspray. Does anyone have
      > experience with this?
      I'm not sure there's a good answer to that w/o more information....
      where and how are you using the fabric???

      Most fabric that's not stiff enough, if it's in the body of the costume,
      I just flatline it.

      In tops, sometimes a good piece of interfacing placed properly handles
      getting fabric to behave in certain areas.

      On the other hand, when I'm doing peticoats, lots of tucks and some
      cording...

      If it's sleeves, not sure there is a cure beyond starch. Hair spray is
      going to wash out too. You'd have to test a lot, and it could yellow
      you fabric.

      More info please...

      -Cat-
    • Daniel Sanders
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24, 2013
        > <<I'm not sure there's a good answer to that w/o more information....
        > where and how are you using the fabric???>>

        A short sleeved button down and then flatlined for a pair of shorts. Not sure what you mean by "where" am I using it?

        > Most fabric that's not stiff enough, if it's in the body of the costume,
        > I just flatline it.

        Well, I'm flatlining the shorts, but is prefer not to flatline the shirt.

        > In tops, sometimes a good piece of interfacing placed properly handles
        > getting fabric to behave in certain areas.

        I know I'll be using two layers of heavier than average weight stiff silk organza to really give some stability to the collar stand and then one layer of the organza in the collar itself so it's stiff-ish. But where do you mean by "properly placed interfacing"? As in a yoke?

        <<If it's sleeves, not sure there is a cure beyond starch. Hair spray is going to wash out too. You'd have to test a lot, and it could yellow your fabric.>>

        Yeah the yellowing is my fear. It's expensive fabric for a shirting. I'll definitely test. Also, I'm okay with hairspray washing out. I'll just re spray with each ironing. I don't need the garments to stand on their own, I'd just like to be able to add a little crispness, if it comes to that.

        The only thing that has me curious is its listed as a cotton and silk shirting, but says "wouldn't it make up a beautiful shirt, blouse, structured dress or" . . . "Children's/ babies wear". Say wha?? Babies wear makes me thing drapey and soft and shirting makes me think crisp. They charge $7.99 shipping plus the price of the swatch to mail me a sample. . . in a regular envelope. So I'd rather not order a swatch. Because they don't apply it to the shipping on the yardage you get if you place a real order which I've had some websites do. Most don't even charge me for a sample.

        > More info please...

      • Susan Toker
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 24, 2013
          Ask them the percentage of cotton to silk. The more cotton the firmer the
          fabric.

          I remember buying from fabric.com a cotton/silk blend and it was good
          weight for shirts made up in the standard shirt way.

          The silk added a bit of sheen (and maybe some warmth.

          Susan