Advice needed on gold belt

  • Bowker,Cynthia M
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
      I'm making an Irulan Corrino (Dune miniseries) costume, and I'm having trouble with one part of it. Here's a picture of the costume (sorry for the bad quality - I couldn't find any pictures online, and I don't have any way of taking screen captures from a DVD, so I had to use the old fashioned method of taking a picture of the TV screen!)

      http://pinterest.com/pin/569635052838470082/

      See that gold medallion-thingy on her belt? It's a six-sided shape with an arrow attached to it. In the miniseries, it looks like it's made of some sort of gold metal. I tried making it out of posterboard/foamboard painted gold, but it looks REALLY cheap and fake. Any suggestions? Thanks!

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
        What about sculpty? It would give it a bit more weight. You could also make it out of styrene plastic (can find it at model shops). That too would give a bit more weight but it's easy to cut. If you have the contacts (In the Atlanta area – Freeside has one) you could 3D print it.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
          Hey… the library where I work just got a 3D printer. Great suggestions – thanks!

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Cynthia Bowker
          Library IT
          University of Florida

          What about sculpty? It would give it a bit more weight. You could also make it out of styrene plastic (can find it at model shops). That too would give a bit more weight but it's easy to cut. If you have the contacts (In the Atlanta area – Freeside has one) you could 3D print it.

        • Daniel Sanders
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
            What's a 3d printer?

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
              It's a printer that uses plastics or resins to print an object in 3 dimensions. It’s great for prop building but at the moment most home units are small so it limits the size of objects you can make.

              Here is a vid of an industrial size in action - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aghzpO_UZE

              Here is a home version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPNxm5sWJIk

              There are also plans on the net so you can scratch build one yourself. The maker community is very helpful with making your own.