faded gown-need advice

  • hobbitmomof4
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
      Hi All. I have a modern Jessica Mc CLintock corset top ballgown I wear to some Quasi-Victorian events. It is a medium blue color. the problem I have is that the skirt has large "faded" spots ,a color shift has happened where spots of it has turned a violet blue shade. The underarms have lost color,either from deodorant reaction or sweat ,but the skirt is a mystery.
      It is 100% Acetate and dry clean only ,warm iron, light steam.
      I have read 2 schools of thought 1) I'm screwed, 2) you can redye in "iDye" for acetate/poly, (but then the caveat of"dry clean only" keeps popping up with hot water dying required by the "iDye" brand being necessary.
      Any ideas or experiences with this problem? I love the dress,but hate to look like a bag lady wearing it all faded out and weird.
      *Note "IDye" poly requires heat at 140 I believe for 45-1 hr boiling time, but again the "dry clean only" buga boo.
      Could I maybe mix the dye in a spray bottle and Iron it into the material at 140 degrees and rinse?
      ANy magic out there?
      melody
    • antigone68104
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
        I can't help with the dye questions. I do know, though, that under US care label laws once a manufacturer lists one safe care method on the tag they don't _have_ to say whether any other method would be safe. This dress might be safe to wash and dye, or it might not -- "do you feel lucky, costumer?". [/ bad Clint Eastwood impression]

        Do you have a wide hem on the gown, or a wide seam allowance, where you could test the gown and see if it's washable? The usual method is to mix up a mild soap and water solution, apply it to the fabric (where it won't show if this isn't wash-safe), then rub with a piece of white cloth to see if any dye washes out. Rinse out the soap/water, then air dry and see if the fabric shrank, lost sizing, or feels odd.

        From the description of those faded spots, I suspect something got on the skirt at some point and didn't get cleaned up before it reacted with the dye. I don't know what that's going to do to any redying.

        Leah

        --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "hobbitmomof4" <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:

        > Hi All. I have a modern Jessica Mc CLintock corset top ballgown I wear to some Quasi-Victorian events. It is a medium blue color. the problem I have is that the skirt has large "faded" spots ,a color shift has happened where spots of it has turned a violet blue shade. The underarms have lost color,either from deodorant reaction or sweat ,but the skirt is a mystery.
        > It is 100% Acetate and dry clean only ,warm iron, light steam.
        > I have read 2 schools of thought 1) I'm screwed, 2) you can redye in "iDye" for acetate/poly, (but then the caveat of"dry clean only" keeps popping up with hot water dying required by the "iDye" brand being necessary.
        > Any ideas or experiences with this problem? I love the dress,but hate to look like a bag lady wearing it all faded out and weird.
        > *Note "IDye" poly requires heat at 140 I believe for 45-1 hr boiling time, but again the "dry clean only" buga boo.
        > Could I maybe mix the dye in a spray bottle and Iron it into the material at 140 degrees and rinse?
        > ANy magic out there?
        > melody

      • carolkocian
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
          If you can't dye it, what about fabric paint? You could go with the
          approach of "if you can't fix it, feature it." Add a deeper blue and maybe
          a lighter blue for a deliberate variegated effect.

          It may be less period-correct, but if the events are Quasi then a creative
          approach may be perfectly appropriate.

          -Carol

          > Hi All. I have a modern Jessica Mc CLintock corset top ballgown I wear to
          > some Quasi-Victorian events. It is a medium blue color. the problem I
          > have is that the skirt has large "faded" spots, a color shift has
          > happened where spots of it has turned a violet blue shade. The underarms
          > have lost color, either from deodorant reaction or sweat, but the skirt is
          > a mystery.
          > It is 100% Acetate and dry clean only ,warm iron, light steam.
          > I have read 2 schools of thought 1) I'm screwed, 2) you can redye in
          > "iDye" for acetate/poly, (but then the caveat of"dry clean only" keeps
          > popping up with hot water dying required by the "iDye" brand being
          > necessary.
          > Any ideas or experiences with this problem? I love the dress,but hate to
          > look like a bag lady wearing it all faded out and weird.
          > *Note "IDye" poly requires heat at 140 I believe for 45-1 hr boiling
          > time, but again the "dry clean only" buga boo.
          > Could I maybe mix the dye in a spray bottle and Iron it into the material
          > at 140 degrees and rinse?
          > ANy magic out there?
          > melody
        • Melody Watts
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
            Thanks for the imput. Nothing has gotten on the gown it kind of resembles what you would see if you left the dress folded up in the back of your car window for a month in full sunlight and it lost color where exposed. This did not happen ..as I store my costumes in a dark closet in a dark, little used, room  Its not an all over fade ,just "blotches" no defined edges just large spaces of lost color,not to white ,just a shade lighter. the bodice part that would have the most "body heat,noisture contact is the original color,except for a half moon under the pits where the sweat hit-that has gone to a light violet color from a medium blue
             The gown has a heavy satin feel and came with a wrap about 48" long That remains true to color.
            I am the 2nd owner of this gown,had it for about15 years,so I know how it was treated in my care.
            I thought Acetate was a yarn dyed at mfg fabric ,so I'm befuddled it faded like it did.
             I guess I could try layeri of a lace over  the skirt if nothing else.

            " But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?"

            I can't help with the dye questions. I do know, though, that under US care label laws once a manufacturer lists one safe care method on the tag they don't _have_ to say whether any other method would be safe. This dress might be safe to wash and dye, or it might not -- "do you feel lucky, costumer?". [/ bad Clint Eastwood impression]

            Do you have a wide hem on the gown, or a wide seam allowance, where you could test the gown and see if it's washable? The usual method is to mix up a mild soap and water solution, apply it to the fabric (where it won't show if this isn't wash-safe), then rub with a piece of white cloth to see if any dye washes out. Rinse out the soap/water, then air dry and see if the fabric shrank, lost sizing, or feels odd.

            From the description of those faded spots, I suspect something got on the skirt at some point and didn't get cleaned up before it reacted with the dye. I don't know what that's going to do to any redying.

            Leah

            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "hobbitmomof4" <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:

            > Hi All. I have a modern Jessica Mc CLintock corset top ballgown I wear to some Quasi-Victorian events. It is a medium blue color. the problem I have is that the skirt has large "faded" spots ,a color shift has happened where spots of it has turned a violet blue shade. The underarms have lost color,either from deodorant reaction or sweat ,but the skirt is a mystery.
            > It is 100% Acetate and dry clean only ,warm iron, light steam.
            > I have read 2 schools of thought 1) I'm screwed, 2) you can redye in "iDye" for acetate/poly, (but then the caveat of"dry clean only" keeps popping up with hot water dying required by the "iDye" brand being necessary.
            > Any ideas or experiences with this problem? I love the dress,but hate to look like a bag lady wearing it all faded out and weird.
            > *Note "IDye" poly requires heat at 140 I believe for 45-1 hr boiling time, but again the "dry clean only" buga boo.
            > Could I maybe mix the dye in a spray bottle and Iron it into the material at 140 degrees and rinse?
            > ANy magic out there?
            > melody

          • Jehanni
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
              --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Melody Watts <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:

              <snip> Its not an all over fade ,just "blotches" no defined edges just large spaces of lost color,not to white ,just a shade lighter. the bodice part that would have the most "body heat,noisture contact is the original color,except for a half moon under the pits where the sweat hit-that has gone to a light violet color from a medium blue
              >  The gown has a heavy satin feel and came with a wrap about 48" long That remains true to color.
              > I am the 2nd owner of this gown,had it for about15 years,so I know how it was treated in my care.
              > I thought Acetate was a yarn dyed at mfg fabric ,so I'm befuddled it faded like it did.<snip>

              Acetate is notorious for both light-fading and laundering poorly. iDye Poly will not help, and will most likely ruin it.

              Laundering will most likely ruin it, unless you're very fond of unevenly shrunken, crinkled texture. I've washed acetate satin skirts in both cold and warm water, and they do some really fascinating things, if you're into random distressing... but that does not appear to be your intention.

              (I have some once-royal blue acetate satin with substantial light-fading into the violet, mauve, and gray shades, harsh along fold lines, that I made into an E.A. Poe homage, complete with spiderweb lace and chemoluminescent bracelet decorations, so I know what you mean with the fabric fading.)

              The suggestion about using fabric paint is intriguing, if you lean that way. Its is highly unlikely you can repair the color to it's former state, but you might be able to disguise or "celebrate" the inconsistent tones with judicious embellishment. Odds are the gown will continue to fade, and fade unevenly, especially when exposed to strong sunlight.

              The transience of most blue dyes is why old quilts and garments seem so overwhelmingly olive drab or tan, rather than blue and green.

              Jonatha
            • Jehanni
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 17, 2013
                --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Melody Watts <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:
                <snip>I guess I could try layer of a lace over  the skirt if nothing else.<snip>

                General laundering instructions for acetate:
                General Acetate Fiber Care Tips — Most acetate garments should be dry-cleaned, but if laundering is indicated, use the following guide:

                Handwash in warm water with mild suds.
                Do not twist or wring out garment.
                Do not soak colored items.
                Press while damp on wrong side with cool iron. For finishing on the right side, use a pressing cloth.

                Twisting and wringing out can permanently crease the fabric, and acetate is not that strong when wet, so it may separate or distort the weave. Pressing on the right side with no press cloth can leave random shiny marks, and sometimes singe the fabric.

                For reference (it may be nothing like an effect you want) I posted two pics of my faded blue acetate gown, which has a lace skirt overlay, in the album Jonatha's Costumes.

                Good luck, and let us know how it comes out if you decide to try something.

                Jonatha