Re: [F-Costume] Building Shapewear?

  • Carol Kocian
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2013
      On Jun 10, 2013, at 1:24 AM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

      > The big problem w/ shapeware is that those fabrics are often custom
      > woven to order by the companies that sell them.

      I read something earlier this year about swimwear knitting machines —
      one section can be knit tighter to compress, and another area not as
      tight. That way they can compress the hips and bust to make the
      swimmer ore of a tube shape. This is for competition, where the
      smoother lines would be needed.

      Sport bras are knit in one piece, too, knit to shape. It's amazing
      what the knitting machines can do these days!

      Anyway, I could see where the same thing would be useful in
      shapewear. The knit could be looser at the edges, done gradually so
      you don't get the line as with panty elastic.

      I could see trying to make something from Spandex, changing how tight
      or loose it is in various areas to control shape. It would be an
      interesting experiment, but of course as Cat pointed out, you would
      have seams.

      -Carol