Re: [F-Costume] Building Shapewear?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2013
      The big problem w/ shapeware is that those fabrics are often custom
      woven to order by the companies that sell them. Even in Los Angeles,
      having all the LA garment district to play in... and the west side
      (where price is no limit) , I've found it really tough to find much
      power net at any price. I'm sure there's some on the net, somewhere...
      but then you get seams.

      > My main concerns are one; the shapewear will show through, creating
      > the dreaded "visible panty line" or peeking out under the edges of the
      > costume, two; the costume will not sit nicely with the shapewear
      > underneath or three; the costume will not work with any of the readily
      > available shapewear items.

      Most shapewear doesn't panty line, though you may get a line at the
      bottom of the rear if it's just a top piece. The long-line panti...
      usually has a high waist, sometimes even to under bust... and the leg
      goes to mid-thigh and magically doesn't show under much.

      As for the "peaking out", these can be cut and hemmed w/ stretch
      stitches, and some times stretch binding if it's a stress edge. Sometime
      you have to combine pieces to get what you want --- the right brief
      mixed with a long line upper.
      > - some are quite slender and won't need much shaping, more just some
      > gentle smoothing but others will need a bit more industrial strength
      > sucking in.
      Shape wear fixes both... it's actually smoothing the bumps and stopping
      the giggling that everyone naturally has.

      For larger sizes... DO NOT try and stuff someone into a too small
      shaper... because rising splitting everything and being uncomfortable,
      it adds different curles and bumps.

      > What I'm also wondering is how to handle the bare-legged outfits?
      Skin toned tights, or even a set of nylons (gasp)! Bare legs are a
      new thing. Most of the time folks cover them for that smoother look.
      It should also help those thin "boots" stay up. It's amazing how much
      even nylon does to pump up the look of your legs. If you have
      discoloration or veins... then you'll want to switch to a high quality
      skin toned dance tight. (The cheep tights won't cover up much, no
      secure much.)

      -Cat-
    • Carol Kocian
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2013
        On Jun 10, 2013, at 1:24 AM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

        > The big problem w/ shapeware is that those fabrics are often custom
        > woven to order by the companies that sell them.

        I read something earlier this year about swimwear knitting machines —
        one section can be knit tighter to compress, and another area not as
        tight. That way they can compress the hips and bust to make the
        swimmer ore of a tube shape. This is for competition, where the
        smoother lines would be needed.

        Sport bras are knit in one piece, too, knit to shape. It's amazing
        what the knitting machines can do these days!

        Anyway, I could see where the same thing would be useful in
        shapewear. The knit could be looser at the edges, done gradually so
        you don't get the line as with panty elastic.

        I could see trying to make something from Spandex, changing how tight
        or loose it is in various areas to control shape. It would be an
        interesting experiment, but of course as Cat pointed out, you would
        have seams.

        -Carol