Building Shapewear?

  • Naresha
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2013
      Hi folks,

      Hoping you can help me.  I'll be working on a few superhero style costumes in the near future and of course, the vast majority of mere mortals are not in superhero shape!  Of course, I know about the benefits/necessities of shapewear under costumes, but what I am wondering about, with the...skimpiness...of some of the costumes I will be making is the feasibility of wearing standard store bought shapewear underneath it.  Most of the shapewear I have come across here (in Australia) is rather thick and heavy and usually designed with full briefs or legs etc.

      My main concerns are one; the shapewear will show through, creating the dreaded "visible panty line" or peeking out under the edges of the costume, two; the costume will not sit nicely with the shapewear underneath or three; the costume will not work with any of the readily available shapewear items.

      My question is, has anyone ever built in shapewear (meaning, sewing it in as part of the costume so that it is all one and the same piece) and if so what sort of results did you have?  OR has anyone ever made their own shapewear or modified store bought shapewear?  I've got a lot of costumes, in a variety of shapes that I am making for myself and a variety of differently sized friends - some are quite slender and won't need much shaping, more just some gentle smoothing but others will need a bit more industrial strength sucking in.

      What I'm also wondering is how to handle the bare-legged outfits?  One of the outfits I'm wanting to do for myself (Ms Marvel) is a high necked swimsuit style of outfit (i.e. bare arms and legs) with a long stocking type of boot that stops about mid thigh level.  For me personally, my thighs are one of my chunkier areas and if possible, I'd like to be able to have something that smooths them out a bit BUT all the thigh shapewear I have come across is very thick, and quite obvious in what it is.  Most comic book cosplayers I know go with a couple of pairs of flesh coloured tights or dance tights but I am exceptionally self conscious about my thighs and know I would spend the whole time in costume fussing about how my legs looked!

      Thanks in advance for any help!

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2013
        The big problem w/ shapeware is that those fabrics are often custom
        woven to order by the companies that sell them. Even in Los Angeles,
        having all the LA garment district to play in... and the west side
        (where price is no limit) , I've found it really tough to find much
        power net at any price. I'm sure there's some on the net, somewhere...
        but then you get seams.

        > My main concerns are one; the shapewear will show through, creating
        > the dreaded "visible panty line" or peeking out under the edges of the
        > costume, two; the costume will not sit nicely with the shapewear
        > underneath or three; the costume will not work with any of the readily
        > available shapewear items.

        Most shapewear doesn't panty line, though you may get a line at the
        bottom of the rear if it's just a top piece. The long-line panti...
        usually has a high waist, sometimes even to under bust... and the leg
        goes to mid-thigh and magically doesn't show under much.

        As for the "peaking out", these can be cut and hemmed w/ stretch
        stitches, and some times stretch binding if it's a stress edge. Sometime
        you have to combine pieces to get what you want --- the right brief
        mixed with a long line upper.
        > - some are quite slender and won't need much shaping, more just some
        > gentle smoothing but others will need a bit more industrial strength
        > sucking in.
        Shape wear fixes both... it's actually smoothing the bumps and stopping
        the giggling that everyone naturally has.

        For larger sizes... DO NOT try and stuff someone into a too small
        shaper... because rising splitting everything and being uncomfortable,
        it adds different curles and bumps.

        > What I'm also wondering is how to handle the bare-legged outfits?
        Skin toned tights, or even a set of nylons (gasp)! Bare legs are a
        new thing. Most of the time folks cover them for that smoother look.
        It should also help those thin "boots" stay up. It's amazing how much
        even nylon does to pump up the look of your legs. If you have
        discoloration or veins... then you'll want to switch to a high quality
        skin toned dance tight. (The cheep tights won't cover up much, no
        secure much.)

        -Cat-
      • Carol Kocian
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2013
          On Jun 10, 2013, at 1:24 AM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

          > The big problem w/ shapeware is that those fabrics are often custom
          > woven to order by the companies that sell them.

          I read something earlier this year about swimwear knitting machines —
          one section can be knit tighter to compress, and another area not as
          tight. That way they can compress the hips and bust to make the
          swimmer ore of a tube shape. This is for competition, where the
          smoother lines would be needed.

          Sport bras are knit in one piece, too, knit to shape. It's amazing
          what the knitting machines can do these days!

          Anyway, I could see where the same thing would be useful in
          shapewear. The knit could be looser at the edges, done gradually so
          you don't get the line as with panty elastic.

          I could see trying to make something from Spandex, changing how tight
          or loose it is in various areas to control shape. It would be an
          interesting experiment, but of course as Cat pointed out, you would
          have seams.

          -Carol