Re: test those costumes WAS Re: [F-Costume] floating skirt

  • Ann Garner
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
      At 10:15 AM 6/1/2013, you wrote:

      >Thanks Ann! There will def be a few test runs!
      Yes, it's a bit shocking to realize that you have to remove a
      costume to go to the bathroom. I know one lady that realized that,
      and actually opted for an adult diaper, "just in case". She actually
      did end up having to remove the costume to answer the call of nature,
      and the was not exactly a fast process.
      Another lady I know had a similar problem but an ingenious
      solution: She actually had suspenders on under her skirt. Pull the
      skirt up, bring the suspenders up over her shoulders, and they held
      the skirt up so it was no problem to "take care of business".
      .
      Then let's not forget, where do you carry keys, cash, cards, cell
      phone in/on the costume?
      Ann in Arkansas
    • Ann Garner
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
        A few more test run things to check: getting in and out of a
        vehicle, up and down stairs, and escalators. Sitting at a table,
        too. Eating and drinking. I'm a strong believer in wearing a
        costume for 6 or 8 hours as a test run. Not only does it make any
        issues show up, it also makes it *so* much fun to answer the door. :D
        Ann in Arkansas
      • Sheree Cobernus
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
          I've also read of ladies in hoop style skirts going into the stall forward and straddling the toilet. LOL I never thought of that! It would totally work. Then you just gracefully back out dropping your skirt as you go.

          On Jun 1, 2013, at 11:28 AM, Ann Garner <agarner@...> wrote:

          > At 10:15 AM 6/1/2013, you wrote:
          > >

          > >Thanks Ann! There will def be a few test runs!
          > Yes, it's a bit shocking to realize that you have to remove a
          > costume to go to the bathroom. I know one lady that realized that,
          > and actually opted for an adult diaper, "just in case". She actually
          > did end up having to remove the costume to answer the call of nature,
          > and the was not exactly a fast process.
          > Another lady I know had a similar problem but an ingenious
          > solution: She actually had suspenders on under her skirt. Pull the
          > skirt up, bring the suspenders up over her shoulders, and they held
          > the skirt up so it was no problem to "take care of business".
          > .
          > Then let's not forget, where do you carry keys, cash, cards, cell
          > phone in/on the costume?
          > Ann in Arkansas

        • Carol Botteron
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
            Another "prep" point: Underwear is your friend.

            (1) Wear it. A color similar to your costume may be better than skin color.
            If your black pants split on stage, you'll be glad you're wearing black underwear.

            (2) Decide in advance which underwear you will use with your costume,
            especially if it alters the shape of your body. If you fit a dress with one
            corset, it may not fit with a different corset.

            (3) Wear your chosen underwear when you rehearse. This can help prevent
            unexpected glitches.

            Carol Botteron
            Member, "Arctic Circle," Best of Show, Worldcon 2004
          • Purple Kat
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
              I actually saw a lady in her wedding dress with a hoop skirt use a
              porta-john.. the entire skirt was lifted into a vertical position by
              friends and she backed into the john.
              It looked like someone stuffed a gigantic white lacy flower into the
              entrance of the unit. (giggle giggle)

              I did something similar when I had to use a very narrow bathroom stall
              while wearing an Elizabethan with a collapsible hoop skirt. I backed in and
              actually got the entire dress into the stall. The funny part was when I
              came out the skirt went POOF and the ladies in the bathroom were amazed/
              shocked/ stunned that such a large diameter dress came out of such a narrow
              stall.

              Katheryne

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
                heh, I"m remembering the scene in Enchanted where she comes out from
                fairyland into NYC through a manhole cover, with that exaggerated
                disney-princess dress. Huge skirt, bouncy hoops, and huge puffy
                sleeves. :D

                I actually saw a lady in her wedding dress with a hoop skirt use a
                porta-john.. the entire skirt was lifted into a vertical position by
                friends and she backed into the john.
                It looked like someone stuffed a gigantic white lacy flower into the
                entrance of the unit. (giggle giggle)

                I did something similar when I had to use a very narrow bathroom stall
                while wearing an Elizabethan with a collapsible hoop skirt. I backed in
                and
                actually got the entire dress into the stall. The funny part was when I
                came out the skirt went POOF and the ladies in the bathroom were
                amazed/
                shocked/ stunned that such a large diameter dress came out of such a
                narrow
                stall.

                Katheryne

                Sarah Strong
                sarahstrong13@...

                References

                1. mailto:purplkat597@...
                2. mailto:F-Costume@yahoogroups.com
                4. mailto:purplkat597@...?subject=Re%3A%20test%20those%20costumes%20WAS%20Re%3A%20%5BF-Costume%5D%20floating%20skirt
                5. mailto:F-Costume@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20test%20those%20costumes%20WAS%20Re%3A%20%5BF-Costume%5D%20floating%20skirt
                10. mailto:F-Costume-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional
                11. mailto:F-Costume-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest
                13. http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                14. mailto:ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback%20on%20the%20redesigned%20individual%20mail%20v1

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
                  On 6/2/2013 12:24 PM, Sarah Strong wrote:
                  > heh, I"m remembering the scene in Enchanted where she comes out from
                  > fairyland into NYC through a manhole cover, with that exaggerated
                  > disney-princess dress. Huge skirt, bouncy hoops, and huge puffy
                  > sleeves. :D
                  Yea, but that one was movie magic. They had a couple of skirts they
                  used depending on the shot. One wasn't much longer than a tutu.

                  However, when I first started going to ren fairs, had a hoop (ok a bit
                  too large) and a stick shift. Used to drive my little compact car
                  dressed to the fair. Coming out of that car... was a huge poof. Fun
                  to watch the reaction.