Re: test those costumes WAS Re: [F-Costume] floating skirt

  • Sheree Cobernus
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
      Thanks Ann! There will def be a few test runs!

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 1, 2013, at 7:57 AM, Ann Garner <agarner@...> wrote:

      > At 02:07 PM 5/14/2013, you wrote:
      > >

      > >Hi everyone!
      > >
      > >I want to create a costume that looks like I'm under water. What can
      > >I use to hold my skirt up to look like it's floating?
      > .
      > I've been quite busy at work and just now catching up on some
      > posts. Some folks have given some good ideas for your skirt.
      > What I'd like to point out is that you should do a "dry run" of the
      > costume, or even a mock-up. The things that come to mind are a Carol
      > Burnette skit where she was wearing a hoop skirt, sat down, the front
      > of the hoop flew up. You could not see Carol's face, but you could
      > see her from the waist down! Then there was one of my cousins, in
      > her hooped skirt wedding dress. She could not make it through the
      > door. In a mild panic she is not sure what to do, Her resourceful
      > father just put both hands on her hiney and shoved enough to force he
      > hooped skirt through the door.
      > Ann in Arkansas

    • Ann Garner
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
        At 10:15 AM 6/1/2013, you wrote:

        >Thanks Ann! There will def be a few test runs!
        Yes, it's a bit shocking to realize that you have to remove a
        costume to go to the bathroom. I know one lady that realized that,
        and actually opted for an adult diaper, "just in case". She actually
        did end up having to remove the costume to answer the call of nature,
        and the was not exactly a fast process.
        Another lady I know had a similar problem but an ingenious
        solution: She actually had suspenders on under her skirt. Pull the
        skirt up, bring the suspenders up over her shoulders, and they held
        the skirt up so it was no problem to "take care of business".
        .
        Then let's not forget, where do you carry keys, cash, cards, cell
        phone in/on the costume?
        Ann in Arkansas
      • Ann Garner
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
          A few more test run things to check: getting in and out of a
          vehicle, up and down stairs, and escalators. Sitting at a table,
          too. Eating and drinking. I'm a strong believer in wearing a
          costume for 6 or 8 hours as a test run. Not only does it make any
          issues show up, it also makes it *so* much fun to answer the door. :D
          Ann in Arkansas
        • Sheree Cobernus
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
            I've also read of ladies in hoop style skirts going into the stall forward and straddling the toilet. LOL I never thought of that! It would totally work. Then you just gracefully back out dropping your skirt as you go.

            On Jun 1, 2013, at 11:28 AM, Ann Garner <agarner@...> wrote:

            > At 10:15 AM 6/1/2013, you wrote:
            > >

            > >Thanks Ann! There will def be a few test runs!
            > Yes, it's a bit shocking to realize that you have to remove a
            > costume to go to the bathroom. I know one lady that realized that,
            > and actually opted for an adult diaper, "just in case". She actually
            > did end up having to remove the costume to answer the call of nature,
            > and the was not exactly a fast process.
            > Another lady I know had a similar problem but an ingenious
            > solution: She actually had suspenders on under her skirt. Pull the
            > skirt up, bring the suspenders up over her shoulders, and they held
            > the skirt up so it was no problem to "take care of business".
            > .
            > Then let's not forget, where do you carry keys, cash, cards, cell
            > phone in/on the costume?
            > Ann in Arkansas

          • Carol Botteron
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
              Another "prep" point: Underwear is your friend.

              (1) Wear it. A color similar to your costume may be better than skin color.
              If your black pants split on stage, you'll be glad you're wearing black underwear.

              (2) Decide in advance which underwear you will use with your costume,
              especially if it alters the shape of your body. If you fit a dress with one
              corset, it may not fit with a different corset.

              (3) Wear your chosen underwear when you rehearse. This can help prevent
              unexpected glitches.

              Carol Botteron
              Member, "Arctic Circle," Best of Show, Worldcon 2004
            • Purple Kat
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
                I actually saw a lady in her wedding dress with a hoop skirt use a
                porta-john.. the entire skirt was lifted into a vertical position by
                friends and she backed into the john.
                It looked like someone stuffed a gigantic white lacy flower into the
                entrance of the unit. (giggle giggle)

                I did something similar when I had to use a very narrow bathroom stall
                while wearing an Elizabethan with a collapsible hoop skirt. I backed in and
                actually got the entire dress into the stall. The funny part was when I
                came out the skirt went POOF and the ladies in the bathroom were amazed/
                shocked/ stunned that such a large diameter dress came out of such a narrow
                stall.

                Katheryne

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
                  heh, I"m remembering the scene in Enchanted where she comes out from
                  fairyland into NYC through a manhole cover, with that exaggerated
                  disney-princess dress. Huge skirt, bouncy hoops, and huge puffy
                  sleeves. :D

                  I actually saw a lady in her wedding dress with a hoop skirt use a
                  porta-john.. the entire skirt was lifted into a vertical position by
                  friends and she backed into the john.
                  It looked like someone stuffed a gigantic white lacy flower into the
                  entrance of the unit. (giggle giggle)

                  I did something similar when I had to use a very narrow bathroom stall
                  while wearing an Elizabethan with a collapsible hoop skirt. I backed in
                  and
                  actually got the entire dress into the stall. The funny part was when I
                  came out the skirt went POOF and the ladies in the bathroom were
                  amazed/
                  shocked/ stunned that such a large diameter dress came out of such a
                  narrow
                  stall.

                  Katheryne

                  Sarah Strong
                  sarahstrong13@...

                  References

                  1. mailto:purplkat597@...
                  2. mailto:F-Costume@yahoogroups.com
                  4. mailto:purplkat597@...?subject=Re%3A%20test%20those%20costumes%20WAS%20Re%3A%20%5BF-Costume%5D%20floating%20skirt
                  5. mailto:F-Costume@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20test%20those%20costumes%20WAS%20Re%3A%20%5BF-Costume%5D%20floating%20skirt
                  10. mailto:F-Costume-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional
                  11. mailto:F-Costume-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest
                  13. http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  14. mailto:ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback%20on%20the%20redesigned%20individual%20mail%20v1

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
                    On 6/2/2013 12:24 PM, Sarah Strong wrote:
                    > heh, I"m remembering the scene in Enchanted where she comes out from
                    > fairyland into NYC through a manhole cover, with that exaggerated
                    > disney-princess dress. Huge skirt, bouncy hoops, and huge puffy
                    > sleeves. :D
                    Yea, but that one was movie magic. They had a couple of skirts they
                    used depending on the shot. One wasn't much longer than a tutu.

                    However, when I first started going to ren fairs, had a hoop (ok a bit
                    too large) and a stick shift. Used to drive my little compact car
                    dressed to the fair. Coming out of that car... was a huge poof. Fun
                    to watch the reaction.