test those costumes WAS Re: [F-Costume] floating skirt

  • Ann Garner
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
      At 02:07 PM 5/14/2013, you wrote:

      >Hi everyone!
      >
      >I want to create a costume that looks like I'm under water. What can
      >I use to hold my skirt up to look like it's floating?
      .
      I've been quite busy at work and just now catching up on some
      posts. Some folks have given some good ideas for your skirt.
      What I'd like to point out is that you should do a "dry run" of the
      costume, or even a mock-up. The things that come to mind are a Carol
      Burnette skit where she was wearing a hoop skirt, sat down, the front
      of the hoop flew up. You could not see Carol's face, but you could
      see her from the waist down! Then there was one of my cousins, in
      her hooped skirt wedding dress. She could not make it through the
      door. In a mild panic she is not sure what to do, Her resourceful
      father just put both hands on her hiney and shoved enough to force he
      hooped skirt through the door.
      Ann in Arkansas
    • Sheree Cobernus
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
        Thanks Ann! There will def be a few test runs!

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jun 1, 2013, at 7:57 AM, Ann Garner <agarner@...> wrote:

        > At 02:07 PM 5/14/2013, you wrote:
        > >

        > >Hi everyone!
        > >
        > >I want to create a costume that looks like I'm under water. What can
        > >I use to hold my skirt up to look like it's floating?
        > .
        > I've been quite busy at work and just now catching up on some
        > posts. Some folks have given some good ideas for your skirt.
        > What I'd like to point out is that you should do a "dry run" of the
        > costume, or even a mock-up. The things that come to mind are a Carol
        > Burnette skit where she was wearing a hoop skirt, sat down, the front
        > of the hoop flew up. You could not see Carol's face, but you could
        > see her from the waist down! Then there was one of my cousins, in
        > her hooped skirt wedding dress. She could not make it through the
        > door. In a mild panic she is not sure what to do, Her resourceful
        > father just put both hands on her hiney and shoved enough to force he
        > hooped skirt through the door.
        > Ann in Arkansas

      • Ann Garner
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
          At 10:15 AM 6/1/2013, you wrote:

          >Thanks Ann! There will def be a few test runs!
          Yes, it's a bit shocking to realize that you have to remove a
          costume to go to the bathroom. I know one lady that realized that,
          and actually opted for an adult diaper, "just in case". She actually
          did end up having to remove the costume to answer the call of nature,
          and the was not exactly a fast process.
          Another lady I know had a similar problem but an ingenious
          solution: She actually had suspenders on under her skirt. Pull the
          skirt up, bring the suspenders up over her shoulders, and they held
          the skirt up so it was no problem to "take care of business".
          .
          Then let's not forget, where do you carry keys, cash, cards, cell
          phone in/on the costume?
          Ann in Arkansas
        • Ann Garner
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
            A few more test run things to check: getting in and out of a
            vehicle, up and down stairs, and escalators. Sitting at a table,
            too. Eating and drinking. I'm a strong believer in wearing a
            costume for 6 or 8 hours as a test run. Not only does it make any
            issues show up, it also makes it *so* much fun to answer the door. :D
            Ann in Arkansas
          • Sheree Cobernus
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
              I've also read of ladies in hoop style skirts going into the stall forward and straddling the toilet. LOL I never thought of that! It would totally work. Then you just gracefully back out dropping your skirt as you go.

              On Jun 1, 2013, at 11:28 AM, Ann Garner <agarner@...> wrote:

              > At 10:15 AM 6/1/2013, you wrote:
              > >

              > >Thanks Ann! There will def be a few test runs!
              > Yes, it's a bit shocking to realize that you have to remove a
              > costume to go to the bathroom. I know one lady that realized that,
              > and actually opted for an adult diaper, "just in case". She actually
              > did end up having to remove the costume to answer the call of nature,
              > and the was not exactly a fast process.
              > Another lady I know had a similar problem but an ingenious
              > solution: She actually had suspenders on under her skirt. Pull the
              > skirt up, bring the suspenders up over her shoulders, and they held
              > the skirt up so it was no problem to "take care of business".
              > .
              > Then let's not forget, where do you carry keys, cash, cards, cell
              > phone in/on the costume?
              > Ann in Arkansas

            • Carol Botteron
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
                Another "prep" point: Underwear is your friend.

                (1) Wear it. A color similar to your costume may be better than skin color.
                If your black pants split on stage, you'll be glad you're wearing black underwear.

                (2) Decide in advance which underwear you will use with your costume,
                especially if it alters the shape of your body. If you fit a dress with one
                corset, it may not fit with a different corset.

                (3) Wear your chosen underwear when you rehearse. This can help prevent
                unexpected glitches.

                Carol Botteron
                Member, "Arctic Circle," Best of Show, Worldcon 2004
              • Purple Kat
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
                  I actually saw a lady in her wedding dress with a hoop skirt use a
                  porta-john.. the entire skirt was lifted into a vertical position by
                  friends and she backed into the john.
                  It looked like someone stuffed a gigantic white lacy flower into the
                  entrance of the unit. (giggle giggle)

                  I did something similar when I had to use a very narrow bathroom stall
                  while wearing an Elizabethan with a collapsible hoop skirt. I backed in and
                  actually got the entire dress into the stall. The funny part was when I
                  came out the skirt went POOF and the ladies in the bathroom were amazed/
                  shocked/ stunned that such a large diameter dress came out of such a narrow
                  stall.

                  Katheryne

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
                    heh, I"m remembering the scene in Enchanted where she comes out from
                    fairyland into NYC through a manhole cover, with that exaggerated
                    disney-princess dress. Huge skirt, bouncy hoops, and huge puffy
                    sleeves. :D

                    I actually saw a lady in her wedding dress with a hoop skirt use a
                    porta-john.. the entire skirt was lifted into a vertical position by
                    friends and she backed into the john.
                    It looked like someone stuffed a gigantic white lacy flower into the
                    entrance of the unit. (giggle giggle)

                    I did something similar when I had to use a very narrow bathroom stall
                    while wearing an Elizabethan with a collapsible hoop skirt. I backed in
                    and
                    actually got the entire dress into the stall. The funny part was when I
                    came out the skirt went POOF and the ladies in the bathroom were
                    amazed/
                    shocked/ stunned that such a large diameter dress came out of such a
                    narrow
                    stall.

                    Katheryne

                    Sarah Strong
                    sarahstrong13@...

                    References

                    1. mailto:purplkat597@...
                    2. mailto:F-Costume@yahoogroups.com
                    4. mailto:purplkat597@...?subject=Re%3A%20test%20those%20costumes%20WAS%20Re%3A%20%5BF-Costume%5D%20floating%20skirt
                    5. mailto:F-Costume@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20test%20those%20costumes%20WAS%20Re%3A%20%5BF-Costume%5D%20floating%20skirt
                    10. mailto:F-Costume-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional
                    11. mailto:F-Costume-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest
                    13. http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    14. mailto:ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback%20on%20the%20redesigned%20individual%20mail%20v1

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
                      On 6/2/2013 12:24 PM, Sarah Strong wrote:
                      > heh, I"m remembering the scene in Enchanted where she comes out from
                      > fairyland into NYC through a manhole cover, with that exaggerated
                      > disney-princess dress. Huge skirt, bouncy hoops, and huge puffy
                      > sleeves. :D
                      Yea, but that one was movie magic. They had a couple of skirts they
                      used depending on the shot. One wasn't much longer than a tutu.

                      However, when I first started going to ren fairs, had a hoop (ok a bit
                      too large) and a stick shift. Used to drive my little compact car
                      dressed to the fair. Coming out of that car... was a huge poof. Fun
                      to watch the reaction.