Re: aging sequins

  • Jehanni
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 18, 2013
      --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Judy Mitchell <judymitch@...> wrote:

      > thanks all! those are great ideas.
      >
      > though I don't think he necessarily wants to scratch them as much as
      > with age, the color fades off and leaves clear shiny areas. would
      > acetone or something else remove color on sequins without dissolving them?
      >
      > -Judy

      I'm with Cat...a lot of vintage sequins I've seen are acetate, not the same as modern plastic, and modern plastics seem to vary in composition....

      When in doubt, experiment, experiment, experiment.

      A recent beading article recommended testing bead finishes for color-fastness by:
      1. exposing to strong sun
      2. soaking overnight in water
      3. soaking overnight in alcohol
      4. rubbing with hand lotion, and then rubbing off with white tissue.

      Worth considering all of those.

      Jonatha
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 19, 2013
        Thanks, Cat & Jonatha! He's not working with vintage sequins, but I have
        warned him that if he tries acetone to make sure and try it on some
        testers and not on the actual item! and passed on the suggestions. No
        idea why he wants to age sequin shoes, but apparently he does. (what
        these old things? been in the family for years! ;) )

        -Judy

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 19, 2013
          On 4/19/2013 7:22 AM, Judy Mitchell wrote:
          > . No
          > idea why he wants to age sequin shoes, but apparently he does. (what
          > these old things? been in the family for years! ;) )
          He may need to repair them... so has new sequins to add to the old
          sequins. In which case... if he's trying to match something exact that
          then you may need to do acrylic paint washes to match the colors....
          matching isn't quite the same as aging.