Re: [F-Costume] Re: aging sequins

  • Susan Toker
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 17 8:52 AM
      Heat and sequins doesn't meet so make sure there is no heat.

      For sequin shoes one simple way is to wear the shoes and walk around as the
      wear pattern will be "normal".

      To "scratch up" the sequins there are very fine steel wool at the hardware
      store that would add fine scratches.

      Susan

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 18 6:06 PM
        thanks all! those are great ideas.

        though I don't think he necessarily wants to scratch them as much as
        with age, the color fades off and leaves clear shiny areas. would
        acetone or something else remove color on sequins without dissolving them?

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 18 8:29 PM
          On 4/18/2013 6:06 PM, Judy Mitchell wrote:
          > though I don't think he necessarily wants to scratch them as much as
          > with age, the color fades off and leaves clear shiny areas. would
          > acetone or something else remove color on sequins without dissolving them?
          Fade... maybe plain old sunlight.

          Acetone may actually melt them.
        • Jehanni
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 18 10:58 PM
            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Judy Mitchell <judymitch@...> wrote:

            > thanks all! those are great ideas.
            >
            > though I don't think he necessarily wants to scratch them as much as
            > with age, the color fades off and leaves clear shiny areas. would
            > acetone or something else remove color on sequins without dissolving them?
            >
            > -Judy

            I'm with Cat...a lot of vintage sequins I've seen are acetate, not the same as modern plastic, and modern plastics seem to vary in composition....

            When in doubt, experiment, experiment, experiment.

            A recent beading article recommended testing bead finishes for color-fastness by:
            1. exposing to strong sun
            2. soaking overnight in water
            3. soaking overnight in alcohol
            4. rubbing with hand lotion, and then rubbing off with white tissue.

            Worth considering all of those.

            Jonatha
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 19 7:22 AM
              Thanks, Cat & Jonatha! He's not working with vintage sequins, but I have
              warned him that if he tries acetone to make sure and try it on some
              testers and not on the actual item! and passed on the suggestions. No
              idea why he wants to age sequin shoes, but apparently he does. (what
              these old things? been in the family for years! ;) )

              -Judy

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 19 4:18 PM
                On 4/19/2013 7:22 AM, Judy Mitchell wrote:
                > . No
                > idea why he wants to age sequin shoes, but apparently he does. (what
                > these old things? been in the family for years! ;) )
                He may need to repair them... so has new sequins to add to the old
                sequins. In which case... if he's trying to match something exact that
                then you may need to do acrylic paint washes to match the colors....
                matching isn't quite the same as aging.