aging sequins

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 15, 2013
      Hi brain trust!

      I've had someone ask how to age sequins, for example you know
      those sequins shoes you see at the store? ever seen the ruby slippers at
      the smithsonian? the sequins scratch, lose their shine and dull a bit
      with age & wear. So how would you age something like sequin shoes
      without having to wait years for it to occur naturally? I was thinking
      tea-dying dulls things, but I don't know that it would stick to the sequins.

      -Judy
    • Daniel Sanders
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 15, 2013
        I wonder if doing rub n buff a few times would do the trick? Maybe tea dye, then rub n buff?

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 15, 2013
          Maybe try rubbing a bit of shoe polish in areas?

          I wonder if doing rub n buff a few times would do the trick? Maybe tea dye, then rub n buff?

          On Apr 15, 2013, at 12:04 PM, Judy Mitchell <judymitch@...> wrote:

          > Hi brain trust!
          >
          > I've had someone ask how to age sequins, for example you know
          > those sequins shoes you see at the store? ever seen the ruby slippers at
          > the smithsonian? the sequins scratch, lose their shine and dull a bit
          > with age & wear. So how would you age something like sequin shoes
          > without having to wait years for it to occur naturally? I was thinking
          > tea-dying dulls things, but I don't know that it would stick to the sequins.
          >
          > -Judy

        • antigone68104
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 17, 2013
            I've never tried this, but what about tossing them in a dryer on tumble/no heat?

            Leah

            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Judy Mitchell <judymitch@...> wrote:

            > Hi brain trust!
            >
            > I've had someone ask how to age sequins, for example you know
            > those sequins shoes you see at the store? ever seen the ruby slippers at
            > the smithsonian? the sequins scratch, lose their shine and dull a bit
            > with age & wear. So how would you age something like sequin shoes
            > without having to wait years for it to occur naturally? I was thinking
            > tea-dying dulls things, but I don't know that it would stick to the sequins.
            >
            > -Judy

          • Susan Toker
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 17, 2013
              Heat and sequins doesn't meet so make sure there is no heat.

              For sequin shoes one simple way is to wear the shoes and walk around as the
              wear pattern will be "normal".

              To "scratch up" the sequins there are very fine steel wool at the hardware
              store that would add fine scratches.

              Susan

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 18, 2013
                thanks all! those are great ideas.

                though I don't think he necessarily wants to scratch them as much as
                with age, the color fades off and leaves clear shiny areas. would
                acetone or something else remove color on sequins without dissolving them?

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 18, 2013
                  On 4/18/2013 6:06 PM, Judy Mitchell wrote:
                  > though I don't think he necessarily wants to scratch them as much as
                  > with age, the color fades off and leaves clear shiny areas. would
                  > acetone or something else remove color on sequins without dissolving them?
                  Fade... maybe plain old sunlight.

                  Acetone may actually melt them.
                • Jehanni
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 18, 2013
                    --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Judy Mitchell <judymitch@...> wrote:

                    > thanks all! those are great ideas.
                    >
                    > though I don't think he necessarily wants to scratch them as much as
                    > with age, the color fades off and leaves clear shiny areas. would
                    > acetone or something else remove color on sequins without dissolving them?
                    >
                    > -Judy

                    I'm with Cat...a lot of vintage sequins I've seen are acetate, not the same as modern plastic, and modern plastics seem to vary in composition....

                    When in doubt, experiment, experiment, experiment.

                    A recent beading article recommended testing bead finishes for color-fastness by:
                    1. exposing to strong sun
                    2. soaking overnight in water
                    3. soaking overnight in alcohol
                    4. rubbing with hand lotion, and then rubbing off with white tissue.

                    Worth considering all of those.

                    Jonatha
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 19, 2013
                      Thanks, Cat & Jonatha! He's not working with vintage sequins, but I have
                      warned him that if he tries acetone to make sure and try it on some
                      testers and not on the actual item! and passed on the suggestions. No
                      idea why he wants to age sequin shoes, but apparently he does. (what
                      these old things? been in the family for years! ;) )

                      -Judy

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 19, 2013
                        On 4/19/2013 7:22 AM, Judy Mitchell wrote:
                        > . No
                        > idea why he wants to age sequin shoes, but apparently he does. (what
                        > these old things? been in the family for years! ;) )
                        He may need to repair them... so has new sequins to add to the old
                        sequins. In which case... if he's trying to match something exact that
                        then you may need to do acrylic paint washes to match the colors....
                        matching isn't quite the same as aging.