Re: [F-Costume] Pressing pleats in to satin

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
      I did some googling... lots of tips out there...

      Basic is heavy spritzing w/ a WHITE vinegar and water mix. Press w/
      cloth pressing cloth, carefully.... and let dry before moving on to the
      next secretion. How much vinegar was the debate. Main numbers I saw
      was between 1:8 to 1:1. I think 1:4 might be the best... 1 cup water,
      and 1/4 cup white vinegar. Though it also depends on figure content.

      However... just for fun... here's a bunch of links, avoiding some of
      the add-screaming sites. No special order on importants on these. Do
      read the comments.

      http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=2421
      http://forums.threadsmagazine.com/gatherings/fabric-and-trim/permanent-pleats
      More links:
      http://www.burdastyle.com/discussions/skill-tank/topics/how-would-one-heat-set-accordion-pleats--2
      Insane pro bits: http://fashion-incubator.com/archive/pleating/

      For a few pleats, these are the way to go... but as some of the comments
      note, there's a point where it's a lot easier to have it done by a pro,
      and isn't that expensive.

      -Cat-
      http://www.anniescatalog.com/notions/list.html?cat_id=1522
    • Amanda
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
        Thanks Cat!
        I'll check out those links. I found the vinegar trick as well, but I'm not sure how it would react to the poly. I'll do a test spot if I go that route. Also investigating the Rajah press cloth, but the reviews are few and far between. Thanks again!

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
          Hi, How about cotton sateen? If you find a high quality sateen it will have a beautiful sheen and press very well. Also it is easily laundered.

          --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Amanda wrote:

          > OP here. Has anyone tried the Rajah press cloth? I'm looking for a way to chemically set the pleats, and stumbled in to this. Thanks again! :)

        • Amanda
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
            I went looking for the sateens and egyptian cottons, but they just aren't *quite* shiny enough. Thank you for the suggestion, though!   ^_^
            Amanda

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
              He, folks... if you reply to this... please trim out my links. IT's trying to treat that many links as spam.

              >> I'll check out those links. I found the vinegar trick as well, but I'm not sure how it would react to the poly. I'll do a test spot if I go that route.

              Should be perfect for polly. But you do need to test... Test for color fastness AND what temperature you want the iron. AND always use a pressing cloth w/ this. Basically anytime you're going to high heat for a fabric, need a pressing cloth. But remember, it's the cloth one this time, not the see-though Teflon one because you're using a LOT of steam.

              >> Also investigating the Rajah press cloth, but the reviews are few and far between.

              Haven't looked that up, but wonder if it's vinegar infused.