Pressing pleats in to satin

  • cuprysa
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
      Hello there!

      I am looking for some advice, or at least some opinions. :)
      I am making this dress:
      http://butterick.mccall.com/b5317-products-9434.php
      that has box pleats in the skirt for an Ironman inspired dress.

      It occurred to me that satin could be a nice interpretation of the shiny metal, but I'm concerned that the satin can't hold the pleats. The pleats need to survive several hours of dancing, and a 20 minute car ride.

      I would be purchasing the casa satin (100% poly) from JoAnn fabrics, or something of equal quality.

      I thought I could go for a less pressed look, but the dress just doesn't look right without the crisp pleats. I can go starch crazy, and I can stitch the valleys until the box pleat opens to help the pleats last. But I don't want to look like a hot mess before I even arrive to the party (leaving that way is just fine). :D

      Thoughts? Advice? I will do cotton if necessary, because unfortunately I don't have enough time to make another mock-up.

      Thank you very much :D
      Amanda
    • Ann Garner
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
        Instead of pressing, have you considered top stitching the
        folds? I've also seen where fusible sewing thread was placed inside
        the folds and then ironed to also keep the fold as a fold.
        Ann in Arkansas
      • Amanda
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
          >> top stitching the folds

          Down the length of the skirt? I think I would be concerned how that would look, especially on top of shiny fabric. I guess I've always considered topstitching as a less desirable method.

          >>fusible sewing thread
          Like Stitch Witchery or something similar?

          Thank you for your help :)

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
            At 08:37 PM 1/31/2013, you wrote:

            > >> top stitching the folds
            >
            >Down the length of the skirt? I think I would be concerned how that
            >would look, especially on top of shiny fabric. I guess I've always
            >considered topstitching as a less desirable method.
            >
            > >>fusible sewing thread
            >Like Stitch Witchery or something similar?
            Yes, exactly like Stitch Witchery, but it comes in sewing thread form.
            And you're welcome
            Ann in Arkansas
          • Amanda
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
              OP here. Has anyone tried the Rajah press cloth? I'm looking for a way to chemically set the pleats, and stumbled in to this. Thanks again! :)

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
                I did some googling... lots of tips out there...

                Basic is heavy spritzing w/ a WHITE vinegar and water mix. Press w/
                cloth pressing cloth, carefully.... and let dry before moving on to the
                next secretion. How much vinegar was the debate. Main numbers I saw
                was between 1:8 to 1:1. I think 1:4 might be the best... 1 cup water,
                and 1/4 cup white vinegar. Though it also depends on figure content.

                However... just for fun... here's a bunch of links, avoiding some of
                the add-screaming sites. No special order on importants on these. Do
                read the comments.

                http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=2421
                http://forums.threadsmagazine.com/gatherings/fabric-and-trim/permanent-pleats
                More links:
                http://www.burdastyle.com/discussions/skill-tank/topics/how-would-one-heat-set-accordion-pleats--2
                Insane pro bits: http://fashion-incubator.com/archive/pleating/

                For a few pleats, these are the way to go... but as some of the comments
                note, there's a point where it's a lot easier to have it done by a pro,
                and isn't that expensive.

                -Cat-
                http://www.anniescatalog.com/notions/list.html?cat_id=1522
              • Amanda
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
                  Thanks Cat!
                  I'll check out those links. I found the vinegar trick as well, but I'm not sure how it would react to the poly. I'll do a test spot if I go that route. Also investigating the Rajah press cloth, but the reviews are few and far between. Thanks again!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
                    Hi, How about cotton sateen? If you find a high quality sateen it will have a beautiful sheen and press very well. Also it is easily laundered.

                    --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Amanda wrote:

                    > OP here. Has anyone tried the Rajah press cloth? I'm looking for a way to chemically set the pleats, and stumbled in to this. Thanks again! :)

                  • Amanda
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
                      I went looking for the sateens and egyptian cottons, but they just aren't *quite* shiny enough. Thank you for the suggestion, though!   ^_^
                      Amanda

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
                        He, folks... if you reply to this... please trim out my links. IT's trying to treat that many links as spam.

                        >> I'll check out those links. I found the vinegar trick as well, but I'm not sure how it would react to the poly. I'll do a test spot if I go that route.

                        Should be perfect for polly. But you do need to test... Test for color fastness AND what temperature you want the iron. AND always use a pressing cloth w/ this. Basically anytime you're going to high heat for a fabric, need a pressing cloth. But remember, it's the cloth one this time, not the see-though Teflon one because you're using a LOT of steam.

                        >> Also investigating the Rajah press cloth, but the reviews are few and far between.

                        Haven't looked that up, but wonder if it's vinegar infused.