Re: [F-Costume] Antique linen parasol : cleaning help

  • carolkocian
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2013
      A conservator technique is to vacuum with the fabric supported between two
      screens. Start with the lowest setting on the vacuum.

      Then there is wet vacuuming, although I'm not sure what you would use for
      that.

      The soap most recommended is Orvus.

      -Carol

      > Try vaccuuming it first.  After that, I can't help, unfortunately.

    • Jehanni
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2013
        --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Melody" wrote:
        <snip> Ps .anyone know of a good book on how to recover old parasols?I couldn't find one and I gor conflicting answers on wether the cover had to be cut on the bias,for stretch or could be cut on grain in giant triangles.<snip>

        I have a great book to suggest: Rachel E. Pollock is La Bricoleuse, Costume Craft Artisan extraordinaire. She teaches Theatrical Costuming, blogs on Live Journal, and has written a self-published parasol book that is really worth while. She's also done several projects with fabric design on Spoonflower, including a set of historical folding-fan repros I'm bookmarking for this year. Her parasol book is available in e-book, paperback and hardback. I got the paperback myself.

        http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=314829

        http://www.lulu.com/shop/rachel-e-pollock/sticks-in-petticoatsparasol-manufacture-for-the-modern-costumer-full-color/paperback/product-2138316.html;jsessionid=C7F87E7A958AA87245A08C9419090D3D

        Jonatha