Antique linen parasol : cleaning help

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2013
      HI All,
      I just purchasesd a Vintage parasol,covered in what appears to be linen. The cover is presently very dirty(like dust settled into the fabric and sat, discoloring it) it is in remarkedly good condition given the age(I'd say 1910-20) It is or was a white or light beige/ecru color ,3/4 of the cover it the "white" and the last 1/3rd is a pink with light striped woven into it. The 2 pieces are connected with a faggoting (?)stitch the handle tip and shaft are painted wood.
      I need to know the best way to clean the fabric.Should I try vaccuuming the cover first? or perhaps try blasting the dust out with a compressed air can? What soap/detergent is reccomended for the linen,as i don't want to shrink it. About 30 yrs ago I conserved a similar paraasol in about the same state--trouble is I had a small stroke 2 yrs ago and I can't remember how I did it...other then it had distilled water in the plan.Do you think carbonated water might clean it better then still wate? just a thought.
      Anyway,any help appreciated.
      melody
      Ps .anyone know of a good book on how to recover old parasols?I couldn't find one and I gor conflicting answers on wether the cover had to be cut on the bias,for stretch or could be cut on grain in giant triangles.
      Thanks again
      melody
    • Elizabeth Phillips
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2013
        Try vaccuuming it first.  After that, I can't help, unfortunately.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2013
          A conservator technique is to vacuum with the fabric supported between two
          screens. Start with the lowest setting on the vacuum.

          Then there is wet vacuuming, although I'm not sure what you would use for
          that.

          The soap most recommended is Orvus.

          -Carol

          > Try vaccuuming it first.  After that, I can't help, unfortunately.

        • Jehanni
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2013
            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Melody" wrote:
            <snip> Ps .anyone know of a good book on how to recover old parasols?I couldn't find one and I gor conflicting answers on wether the cover had to be cut on the bias,for stretch or could be cut on grain in giant triangles.<snip>

            I have a great book to suggest: Rachel E. Pollock is La Bricoleuse, Costume Craft Artisan extraordinaire. She teaches Theatrical Costuming, blogs on Live Journal, and has written a self-published parasol book that is really worth while. She's also done several projects with fabric design on Spoonflower, including a set of historical folding-fan repros I'm bookmarking for this year. Her parasol book is available in e-book, paperback and hardback. I got the paperback myself.

            http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=314829

            http://www.lulu.com/shop/rachel-e-pollock/sticks-in-petticoatsparasol-manufacture-for-the-modern-costumer-full-color/paperback/product-2138316.html;jsessionid=C7F87E7A958AA87245A08C9419090D3D

            Jonatha