Cat--Re:large bust/Victorian bodice problem

  • Melody Watts
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 20, 2013
      Cat: Thank you the built in bra idea ! It may just be the solution I couldn't find
      I'm going to do a "mock up" with her present strapless bra in the bodice I made and see if it meshes and works for her.
      Thanks again to your wonderful ,pickable brain!
      melody
       Ps I make regular "V" shaped darts at the bust point and modified banana shaped darts at the waist front. Do you think a princess dart/cut might be a better choice in the future?
      melody

      " But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?:

      From: Cat Devereaux <CatDevereaux@...>
      Subject: Re: [F-Costume] regarding the large bust/Victorian bodice problem

      On 1/17/2013 9:23 PM, Melody wrote:
      > thanks to all who answered my query re:the Vic.Bodice problem. I got
      > some great ideas and suggestions. Some suggested a corset, would be
      > fine for normal people, Aspergers people sometimes are not able to
      > tolerate confining garments wrapped tightly about them ,
       Cat:   If OK, after all that said... other option...

      1) take and build one of her old bras into the bodice. If you line it
      you can hide the bra strap in the middle and let the bra ends just come
      out the back about an inch from the center back. So, you put on the top
      together. Fasten the bra, and then fasten the back of the dress. (Just
      did that on a recent bridal gown for a lady w/ a larger bust who wanted
      to be able to do any style of dance, or dipping and still be secure.)

    • Ann Garner
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 21, 2013
        At 09:12 PM 1/20/2013, you wrote:

        >Â Ps I make regular "V" shaped darts at the bust
        >point and modified banana shaped darts at the
        >waist front. Do you think a princess dart/cut
        >might be a better choice in the future?
        >melody
        .
        When I make darts, I never make "V" darts. The
        body is not straight lines. Even if the dart on
        the pattern is V, I still curve it, to fit the
        body. I apply this to any sewing of garments
        with darts. I took a pattern modifying class,
        and this one thing was worth the class.
        Ann in Arkansas
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 21, 2013
          On 1/21/2013 5:02 PM, Ann Garner wrote:
          > >Â Ps I make regular "V" shaped darts at the bust
          > >point and modified banana shaped darts at the
          > >waist front. Do you think a princess dart/cut
          > >might be a better choice in the future?

          That double dart is the easiest to slide into if you've never made
          pattern adjustments before. But if you're comfortable w/ it, it's easy
          to move on from there.

          Turn that fitting inside out... and take the darts to a join point at
          the apex of the bust -- the center sticky-out point. It won't exactly
          be two straight lines and the small curve, but close.

          > When I make darts, I never make "V" darts. The
          > body is not straight lines. Even if the dart on
          > the pattern is V, I still curve it, to fit the
          > body. I apply this to any sewing of garments
          > with darts. I took a pattern modifying class,
          > and this one thing was worth the class.
          And on to step two, Make those prince pieces a bit more curved...