Re: [F-Costume] Need help with VIctorian Bodice for large bust

  • Sheree
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 15, 2013
      Hi Melody! A properly fitted corset is the key. If its made for her and cinched right the girls shouldn't overflow the top. There is a Truly Victorian pattern for a well endowed lady corset.

      I've had some success building a fitted (not tight) bodice using a pattern I made off a store bought collared shirt that fit me well. You could search Good Will for a shirt that fits perfect then pull it apart to make the pattern.

      But in the end the best fit always comes from well fitting under garments.

      Sheree

      On Jan 15, 2013, at 3:01 PM, "Melody" <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I need help with a large problem,actually 2 large problems,but I digress. My daughter is a 47" F cup, she is 5'1" and short waisted her waist is 38 ,hip 46. She has very small width shoulders also to further complicate it.
      > I have been very unsuccessfully trying to create a Victorian ball gown bodice. None of the patterns I have go up to her boobage diminsions.
      > she is only 26 so she does not want to appear "frumpy old ladyish" but trying to construct a fashionable,stable top is eluding me. We do "Court of Steam" at the QueenMary SteamPunk Symposium once a yearand we need a Ball gown,I am trying to utalize the "skirt,day jacket,matching ball gown bodice" technique for reasons of fundage. I slapped together a quasi ball bodice from her renfaire middle class bodice.It was passsible,but not "pretty". We cannot get a "V'neck"to work,the "girls" keep wanting to escape ,also the mass creates some meeting of the waist and chest area. we tried yanking those bra straps up as high as we could go.afraid a full corset will only make the girls oveflow the top. She cannot tolerate anything high or tight around her body or neck area (Aspergers)
      > HELP!!!
      > much thanks for any ideas,leads, back pats......
      > melody

    • Elizabeth Phillips
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 15, 2013
        Princess line bodices can be adjusted for a very large bust more easily than most other lines.  I'm trying to find something online for you, but this is about the best I could find.  http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/24348/full-bust-fix%c2%a0 Lots of books have much better fitting instructions.  Here are a couple:

        http://www.amazon.com/Fit-Real-People-Clothes-Pattern/dp/0935278656/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358282462&sr=1-8&keywords=sewing+alterations

        http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Photo-Guide-Perfect-Fitting/dp/1589236084/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358282462&sr=1-1&keywords=sewing+alterations

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 15, 2013
          On 1/15/2013 12:01 PM, Melody wrote:
          > Hi, I need help with a large problem,actually 2 large problems,but I
          > digress. My daughter is a 47" F cup, she is 5'1" and short waisted her
          > waist is 38 ,hip 46. She has very small width shoulders also to
          > further complicate it.
          Given that she's VERY different from the patterns... maybe you should
          start with a duct tape pattern so you've got her shape, and then merge
          it into a corset pattern.

          You really do want to start w/ the corset. Get it right, and she's got
          the "foundations" for a number of outfits. I'll second the Truly
          Victorian patterns. http://trulyvictorian.com/LM100.html . Though it
          sounds like you have some tweaking ahead anyway.

          A corset pattern is not always just long bones up the front... you'll
          make a good cup and the breasts will rest in the cup. The outfits you
          see w/ that weird shelf, or breasts up to their neck is ill-fitting
          corsets or tight lacing. You don't have to tight lace to wear a
          corset. You just pull it enough to get a rounder waist, and give the
          breasts proper support.

          OK... back to the t-shirt and duct tape.... It's wrapped a bit
          different than the ren-fair patterning you may be used to. Have her
          wear a bra that puts the breasts where you want them, and a t-shirt that
          is looser (or at least doesn't pull)... for the larger folks, that may
          mean sacrificing a night shirt. ... or cutting the sides in advance and
          then just taping the seams closed.

          (If you search this list, you'll find more details on taping a pattern,
          so here I'm just touching the mods from doing the famous ren-fair bodice
          pattern.)

          Tape the breast area first. Use strips about 1 1/2 feet long max. Do
          the cross-you-heart x taping first... then keep laying pieces down. Pay
          special attention to the cup shape under and over. For taping the
          stomach and back... go for smooth over the bulk, not exact shape. You
          can lay vertical pieces of tape down first to help.

          When you're done, use a perminate market to mark center front, back and
          sides. Draw the waist line, your top of corset line, and under the bust
          cup line. Couldn't hurt to also draw in the neck for the bodice.

          Carefully cut her out.

          Things get a bit more complicated now because you want to do both corset
          and bodice from this. Look at ;your corset pattern for all the extra
          seaming so you know where you're going to cut. On the breast cups, you
          may end up separating the cup into more triangles to to get shaping.
          That's all OK.

          Draw in your corset cut lines. BEFORE YOU CUT... label EVERY PIECE,
          including the cut away bits. Label carefully unless you like jig-saw
          patterns since you'll lightly tape this back together to work on the
          bodice as well.

          With your pieces cut like the corset, you can see how you're going to
          reshape the corset pieces. You will be making them a bit narrower, but
          remember the goal is stability, not tightness. Breast cups won't change
          in size. And a think I discovered when working on someone largely
          endowed... those w/ a lot in the front, have more muscle in the upper
          back too. So you'll be taking less off the top of the seams than the
          bottom too.

          When it's time to make the bodice... remember, it's just a guide. By
          this point... the underpinnings will be chemise, corset, corset cover
          (and petticoats)... so your duct tape will be smaller than what you
          need... but still it's a guide to shaping your pattern pieces. Guess,
          and then drape the muslin so you can make a real pattern.

          Don't forget to label all your pattern pieces. Also include a sheet w/
          the date and her current measurements so that when you go back to this
          pattern you know what you might need to be adjusting from.

          -Cat-
        • Nightwing Whitehead
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15, 2013
            Milady *needs* a corset!  Not a pseudo-corset that sort of maybe kind of almost does it, a real corset that will confine what should be confined and support what should be supported.  They come in many styles from under the bust to demi to full cover to sweetheart.  Where do you live?  I may be able to direct your path to a corset-fitter near you.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 15, 2013
              Hi Melody. If I read the end of your post correctly, you're saying a corset is out of the question, right? Is there a way to make it more quasi Victorian and add in more of the steam punk idea into the evening top?

              On Jan 15, 2013, at 3:01 PM, "Melody" <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:

              > Hi, I need help with a large problem,actually 2 large problems,but I digress. My daughter is a 47" F cup, she is 5'1" and short waisted her waist is 38 ,hip 46. She has very small width shoulders also to further complicate it.
              > I have been very unsuccessfully trying to create a Victorian ball gown bodice. None of the patterns I have go up to her boobage diminsions.
              > she is only 26 so she does not want to appear "frumpy old ladyish" but trying to construct a fashionable,stable top is eluding me. We do "Court of Steam" at the QueenMary SteamPunk Symposium once a yearand we need a Ball gown,I am trying to utalize the "skirt,day jacket,matching ball gown bodice" technique for reasons of fundage. I slapped together a quasi ball bodice from her renfaire middle class bodice.It was passsible,but not "pretty". We cannot get a "V'neck"to work,the "girls" keep wanting to escape ,also the mass creates some meeting of the waist and chest area. we tried yanking those bra straps up as high as we could go.afraid a full corset will only make the girls oveflow the top. She cannot tolerate anything high or tight around her body or neck area (Aspergers)
              > HELP!!!
              > much thanks for any ideas,leads, back pats......
              > melody

            • Carol Kocian
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 15, 2013
                As others are saying, you need to create the shape with undergarments
                first. If she can't wear a corset, then you have to make it work with
                what you have.

                The Victorian era is a pretty big span of time. Is there a specific
                era you're aiming for?

                I think the 1830s are more youthful looking, less structured than,
                say, the 80s. Lightweight, light colored fabrics and flounces will
                look young and pretty. While you don't need a high neckline, it can
                be to the collarbone or filled in with gauze — which will not be tight.

                -Carol

                > On Jan 15, 2013, at 3:01 PM, "Melody" <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Hi, I need help with a large problem,actually 2 large problems,but
                >> I digress. My daughter is a 47" F cup, she is 5'1" and short
                >> waisted her waist is 38 ,hip 46. She has very small width
                >> shoulders also to further complicate it.
                >> I have been very unsuccessfully trying to create a Victorian ball
                >> gown bodice. None of the patterns I have go up to her boobage
                >> diminsions.
                >> she is only 26 so she does not want to appear "frumpy old ladyish"
                >> but trying to construct a fashionable, stable top is eluding me.
                >> We do "Court of Steam" at the QueenMary SteamPunk Symposium once a
                >> year and we need a Ball gown, I am trying to utalize the "skirt,
                >> day jacket, matching ball gown bodice" technique for reasons of
                >> fundage. I slapped together a quasi ball bodice from her renfaire
                >> middle class bodice. It was passsible,but not "pretty". We cannot
                >> get a "V'neck"to work, the "girls" keep wanting to escape, also
                >> the mass creates some meeting of the waist and chest area. we
                >> tried yanking those bra straps up as high as we could go. afraid a
                >> full corset will only make the girls oveflow the top. She cannot
                >> tolerate anything high or tight around her body or neck area
                >> (Aspergers)
                >> HELP!!!
                >> much thanks for any ideas,leads, back pats......
                >> melody
              • Melody Watts
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
                  Hi Carol, thanks for the reply. Our "Bio" says it's 1845, but our group with the exception of me, haven't a clue what Victorian fashions cover...so we run the gambit of quasi civil war hoop to 1890 Bustle gowns..sometimes (horrors!) mixing the together(I always just blame the "SteamPunk" aspect for that.or my sostumers brain would explode ; > )
                  I try to make seperates to deal withthe uneven sizes of top & bottom,SO I have made a simple dropped shoulder jacket /carriage bodice for day wear with simple store bought vintage look  blouses underneath
                  , I also scour the 2nd hand stores for items to"remake" to look appropriate.". Found a little black jacket that worked. But the ballgown top eluded me. I added black lace ruffles to the ren bodice base at the neckline ,armholes and drop waistline May try the gauze fichu to fill the "gaposis" I have happen with her necklines. thanks for thei deas

                  But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?"

                  As others are saying, you need to create the shape with undergarments
                  first. If she can't wear a corset, then you have to make it work with
                  what you have.

                  The Victorian era is a pretty big span of time. Is there a specific
                  era you're aiming for?

                  I think the 1830s are more youthful looking, less structured than,
                  say, the 80s. Lightweight, light colored fabrics and flounces will
                  look young and pretty. While you don't need a high neckline, it can
                  be to the collarbone or filled in with gauze — which will not be tight.

                  -Carol

                  > On Jan 15, 2013, at 3:01 PM, "Melody" <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi, I need help with a large problem,actually 2 large problems,but
                  >> I digress. My daughter is a 47" F cup, she is 5'1" and short
                  >> waisted her waist is 38 ,hip 46. She has very small width
                  >> shoulders also to further complicate it.

                • Melody Watts
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
                    I now have a yr to work on this now as it  is only in Jan. of each yr.will be collecting ideas and prototyping ideas. If U think of any ,pls feel free to forward them on

                    " But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?"

                    Hi Melody. If I read the end of your post correctly, you're saying a corset is out of the question, right? Is there a way to make it more quasi Victorian and add in more of the steam punk idea into the evening top?

                    On Jan 15, 2013, at 3:01 PM, "Melody" <hobbitmomof4@...> wrote:

                    > Hi, I need help with a large problem,actually 2 large problems,but I digress. My daughter is a 47" F cup, she is 5'1" and short waisted her waist is 38 ,hip 46. She has very small width shoulders also to further complicate it.
                    > I have been very unsuccessfully trying to create a Victorian ball gown bodice.  > melody

                  • Melody Watts
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 17, 2013
                      Please see high lighted  *** notation. thanks

                      " But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?"

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 18, 2013
                        Sorry, I saw that after I sent my response (what I get for reading emails in he dead of the night).  I didn't correct it then as I wanted to be able to offer a better solution when I did, but I have no clear ideas as to how to best solve this.  I keep seeing layers of lace but nothing concrete enough to pass along yet.

                        From: Nightwing Whitehead nightwingwhitehead@...>

                        To: F-Costume@yahoogroups.com

                        Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 2:30 PM

                        From: Melody hobbitmomof4@...>

                        To: F-Costume@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 18, 2013
                          Well, did I read correctly in another post that the event is showcasing the year 1845?