1920s-30s police uniforms

  • antigone68104
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2013
      A gentleman in another group I'm part of has a couple questions on Chicago police uniforms of the "pulp era".

      1) From what he's found, shoes and belts would be black leather. Would any other leather items (the specific one looks like an ammo bag -- the cop's carrying a Tommy gun) also be black leather?

      2) Did the CPD of that era have different colored insignia for different ranks? Many modern police departments will use silver for the rank and file, and gold for higher ranks -- was this done in the 1920s?

      Leah
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2013
        There is a Crime museum in Chicago. That might be a great place to start especially for pictures from the period. http://www.crimemuseum.org

        Surprisingly the wikipedia page for the Chicago police department has a lot of good insignia information (both current and historical). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Police_Department as well as a great reference and link section.

        I believe there is also a Mob museum in Las Vegas. Many gangsters came from the Chicago area so the curator of the museum may be a great source.

        Hope that helped a little,