Re: Pattern Mod help

  • Hazel Daniel
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 19, 2012
      Do you know of any good patterns for the foundation garment I could use? Ideal fabrics? I know that coutil is used alot in corsets....

      So the foundation is sewn into the side seams of the dress with a waist ribbon belt that is slightly smaller than the waist and closed with hook+eye..and obviously the dress is closed with whatever closure (zipper in my case)...is that right?

      Usually when I buy patterns I get them online, but I've started to get them from the fabric department when I'm in the capitial. They are kept in a bunch of cabinets behind a sort of bar thing where they keep the catalogs so I dont think you're actually allowed to rummage for yourself, have to ask a staff member for the specific one you want. Could always ask next time I'm in there. :)

      I refuse to so much as buy a button until I get those measurements, so all I can do is twiddle my thumbs and seek advice on this dress.

      Fittings? I wish I had the luxury of such a thing. We live in separate areas of the country, so honestly the first time I'll know if it fits her properly on not is when she tries on the final garment.

      This is my first time making something that isn't designed to fit me specifically.....This dress will make me have premature grey hairs at the end!

    • aquazoo@patriot.net
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 19, 2012
        At the fabric store, just explain that you are trying to decide between a
        couple of different patterns, and that you would like to see the
        instructions for each before you decide. The clerk might want to pull the
        sheets out of the envelope for you, if they are concerned that anything
        will get rumpled too much.

        Coutil is the best, but any fabric that is tightly-woven and firm should
        do. Natural fibers will be more comfortable against the skin.

        While a corset will anchor the weight of the dress at the waist, you will
        probably want to extend it to flare over the hips. Depending on the shape
        of the client, boning that ends at the waist can be really uncomfortable.

        Something else that will help support the sleeves is to have them snug in
        the upper arm. That way it's not the neckline or shoulder straps carrying
        all the weight.

        -Carol

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 19, 2012
          If the pattern you end up using as a starting point doesn't include a
          foundation (lots of bridal patterns do) then you'll want to derive it
          from the dress pattern, only make it fit more snugly. The neckline will
          be the same so it holds up the dress neck line. Coutil is used for
          corsets because it is strong enough to hold up to squeezing the body
          into the artificial shape. This doesn't have to do that. It just needs
          to be strong enough to hold the bones in place, which are holding the
          dress up. Calico would be adequate for a little strapless cocktail
          dress, you might want something a bit more sturdy for this, but if you
          have a hard time finding coutil it's not essential. (unless the wearer
          needs that kind of shaping)

          You are *not* going to be able to make this dress fit properly without
          fittings. You will need her to come for a fitting with the first test in
          muslin, possibly a second if there are a lot of changes you have to
          make, and again in the real fabric. There isn't enough $$ to pay me to
          do this type of project without that. I know there are seamstresses who
          manage somehow to get meaningful info from a fitting by mail, but I'm
          not one of them!

          Yes, the foundation is sewn to the top edge of the dress like a
          glorified facing, and anchored at the seams so things stay where they
          belong. The ribbon belt is inside the foundation because it may be the
          smallest measurement of all, and similarly anchored every couple inches,
          with the last inch or two at the ends free so you can operate the hook
          and eye, and get them really snug. A zip sounds fine for the dress.
          (Invisible zips are wonderful for places like this where you don't want
          a big honking zipper placket screaming ZIPPER)

          yeah, make sure you get good measurements, and lots of them, and an
          adequate deposit.

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 19, 2012
            On 11/19/2012 9:42 AM, Elizabeth Phillips wrote:
            > Absolutely get the measurements with the foundation garments the
            > person is going to wear!
            I'd want to go beyond that point. Foundation garments are critical...
            AND I'd want a t shirt duck tape over that to make the pattern.
            Measurements only tell so much... unless you get many... and then you
            have to trust the measurement taker. (We discussed that a few weeks ago
            here.)

            You also might mention that folks around here are nervous about the fit
            w/o lots of mailed fitting of the muslin, and think that the actress may
            have also been taped.

            So when you're estimating, include mailing costs and time of the extra
            muslins.

            -Cat-
          • Naresha
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 20, 2012
              No fittings?  That's going to be exceptionally problematic even with the most precise and detailed measurements, especially with a dress that is designed to hug the body and moreover, NEEDS to in order to support itself, you will need fittings.  I recently made a strapless sun dress for a friend of mine (admittedly this was the most complicated sun dress I have ever come across - A Vogue pattern with 27 different pattern pieces) and with my mother, the seamstress taking it over due to the ridiculously tight time frame involved, we still both struggled to get this dress to fit properly with almost weekly fittings.  We got to the point of putting the dress on her, noting the required changes/pinning etc, making the alterations, putting it back on her, checking, amending etc multiple times each fitting. (Note to self: never agree to make three dresses in less than three months when every pattern requires modification or is overly complicated to begin
              with!)  We ran out of time to make it 110% smooth and perfect but it stayed up, sat nicely, looked good on and she loved it.  Even with the experience of both me and my mother and the patience of our client, we both nearly ended up bald we tore our hair out so much with this dress and getting the foundation to the point where it was good enough for the dress to fit and be wearable.  We could quite easily have spent at least another month finenessing it to the point of perfection.

              One good find from this project was the material I used on the foundation - horsehair interfacing.  Thick but not overly stiff - it, along with a few bones, helped make the dress look really nice and finished and definitely helped in giving that extra bit of stiffness for keeping a strapless dress in place. Check the pattern before you get too carried away with looking for a second pattern for a foundation garment - a lot of them may already have a foundation built into pattern.  I would definitely ask if you can have a look at the instruction sheets - as others have suggested, just explain what information you're wanting from them and with any luck, they'll show you or be able to give you some advice based around their own knowledge and experience.

              As for the measurements...  I've learned only to trust measurements I take myself. When making things for overseas friends, I have had instances where a basic t-shirt dress dress meant for a petite size 8-10 (Australian) fitted their plus size 14-16 partner - and that was after I supplied a measurement chart and instructions!  Thankfully it was such a basic shape (and for a close friend) that in the end, they shipped me a t-shirt that had the fit they wanted when they sent the dress back and I picked the seams apart and hacked the dress down to the correct size based on that.  If your client is providing their own measurements, then make sure they understand that the finished product will be based on those measurements and that you can only make it based on what she tells you - with any luck, a run down of the things raised here will perhaps assist in persuading her to take the time to come to you for a fitting or two or accepting the added cost of
              you going to her with the dress for fittings and definitely go with Sarah's suggestion of a deposit that covers your materials and first few hours of work on this project.

              ________________________________
> [...]

              > I suggest not buying any materials before you get a sufficient deposit to cover them and your first few hours. Installments are good for everyone's cash flow...
              >
              > On 11/19/2012 9:50 AM, Hazel Daniel wrote:
              > >
              > > Oh! You mean kinda like having a separate boned bodice sewn into the dress, kinda like a sandwich?
              > >
              > > Really? I thought you weren't allowed to remove the instructions in the shop. The nearest place that sells any sort of patterns in the capital, which is half hour train ride away.
              > >
              > > I don't even have accurate measurements for my client, she says she'll give them to me when she pays for the commission itself after christmas, end of december, the new year.

            • Carol Kocian
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 20, 2012
                On Nov 20, 2012, at 6:16 AM, Naresha wrote:

                > No fittings? That's going to be exceptionally problematic even
                > with the most precise and detailed measurements, especially with a
                > dress that is designed to hug the body and moreover, NEEDS to in
                > order to support itself, you will need fittings.

                Agreed! The alternative is for the client to understand the
                compromise needed. The original dress was made with lots of structure
                and with the actress available for fittings. I don't think you're
                going to get that exact dress, but you can get some features. The
                fabric, the color and the trimming will look beautiful even if it's
                not the exact lines.

                The patterns you've shown will be beautiful gowns, the only
                difference is that they do not have the heavy sleeves. You're not
                looking at the off-the-shoulder neckline.

                Plus you were talking about a stretch velvet, which will behave
                differently than a woven fabric. Your fitting "muslin" will need to
                have similar stretch to your stretch velvet.

                Part of the conversation with the client is, what parts of the
                original gown does she like the best? What does it need to have, vs.
                what can be compromised in order to be able to make it long-distance?

                -Carol
              • Jim or Chris Porter
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 20, 2012
                  Would it help with the weight if the bodice and skirt were constructed a separate pieces?

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 23, 2012
                    Awwwww man.......*headdesk* I swear someone up there has it in for me. Just when I think I've found a pattern....

                    --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, slc_fire <slc_fire@...> wrote:

                    > I've made this dress. It is a ROYAL bleep bleep BLEEEP.... it's a very difficult convoluted neckline. My mother is a professional seamstress and she was cussing like a sailor. It's a gorgeous dress but it takes serious patience and a bachelor degree in engineering to understand the neck. The pictures are deceiving. It’s almost like fabric origami. I’m not kidding. You have to cut, pinch, tuck, iron, and pray.
                    >
                    > Sheree
                    >
                    > Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!

                  • Jim or Chris Porter
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 23, 2012
                      There is a similar Vintage Vogue in the current catalog that does not seem to have the collar. Perhaps it is less origami-like?