Re: Lincoln - and Vampires... and Zombies

  • Serit
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 6, 2012
      Personally, I agree with Sherlock Holmes: "Ghosts (and vampires and zombies) need not apply."

      That said, however, I think "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" will jump start the real heavy-duty mainstreaming of steampunk, since so much of it is smack-dab in the middle of the 19th century ("Wild, Wild West", anyone? I loved Ross Martin as Artemus Gordon in the original series, and Kevin Kline in the remake movie was just fab)

      Now, if someone did "Queen Victoria, Vampire Slayer", that could really jump start steampunk mainstreaming.

      Best Wishes, Peace, Longevity, Prosperity!!!
      Serit/Steph K.

      p.s. Remember, vote early and often!!

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2012
        weellll.... a while ago there was a Queen Victoria, Werewolf Slayer!
        ok.. it was really Prince Albert that was working on it, and it was
        really the Doctor and someone else that accomplished it. but even so.
        -Judy

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 6, 2012
          On 11/6/2012 2:11 PM, Judy Mitchell wrote:
          > weellll.... a while ago there was a Queen Victoria, Werewolf Slayer!
          > ok.. it was really Prince Albert that was working on it, and it was
          > really the Doctor and someone else that accomplished it. but even so.
          > -Judy
          Almost... isn't it more Queen Victoria, Werewolf?????

          Lots of options there, too.

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 6, 2012
            but this particular case was a Dr Who episode where QV was nearly killed
            by an alien who transformed into a werewolf. but they were able to kill
            it with a diamond in a telescope/laser set-up.
            -Judy

            On 11/06/2012 06:31 PM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

            > Almost... isn't it more Queen Victoria, Werewolf?????
            >
            > Lots of options there, too.

          • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2012
              My pick -

              "A Study in Emerald" by Neil Gaiman - Cthulhu mythos x Victoria x
              Sherlock Holmes. Win!!

              Sandy (& Pierre, who is the real Cthulhu fan in this house)

              At 05:43 PM 11/6/2012, you wrote:

              >but this particular case was a Dr Who episode where QV was nearly killed
              >by an alien who transformed into a werewolf. but they were able to kill
              >it with a diamond in a telescope/laser set-up.
              >-Judy
              >
              >On 11/06/2012 06:31 PM, Cat Devereaux wrote:
              >
              > > Almost... isn't it more Queen Victoria, Werewolf?????
              > >
              > > Lots of options there, too.

              "Those Who Fail to Learn History
              Are Doomed to Repeat It;
              Why They Are Simply Doomed."

              Achemdro'hm
              "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
              -- C. Y. 4971

              Andromeda
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 6, 2012
                On 11/6/2012 8:46 PM, Pierre & Sandy Pettinger wrote:
                > My pick -
                >
                > "A Study in Emerald" by Neil Gaiman - Cthulhu mythos x Victoria x
                > Sherlock Holmes. Win!!
                Just thinking of those costumes.

                Yea, think steampunk is really going to come into it's own w/ these
                alternates.

                Judy... she's both. Helped kill... but that wasn't a wood splinter.

                Fun all around.

                -Cat-
              • Ellen
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 7, 2012
                  My eldest and I saw "Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" Yep, it was a great deal of fun and great costumes. (The book was better, but enjoyed it anyway).
                  As far as the lady vampire, yes, that is her skirt that she "whips" itoff for more maneuverability while chasing down Abe. (Great scene....so much fun. Then there is the carriage and horses scene....oh so much fun stuff!)
                  Great details such as the journals, weapons, etc.

                  If you like pretty good vampire movies, this is one to see. Now out on DVD.....

                  Really looking forward to Abraham Lincoln. Have never heard of the zombie one....but perhaps I will look it up.

                  Thanks for the pics, the thought of sewing Sally Field's dress gives me headache, plus where would I wear it?!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 7, 2012
                    On 11/7/2012 2:29 PM, Ellen wrote:
                    > My eldest and I saw "Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" Yep, it was a great
                    > deal of fun and great costumes. (The book was better, but enjoyed it
                    > anyway).
                    > As far as the lady vampire, yes, that is her skirt that she "whips"
                    > itoff for more maneuverability while chasing down Abe. (Great
                    > scene....so much fun. Then there is the carriage and horses
                    > scene....oh so much fun stuff!)
                    > Great details such as the journals, weapons, etc.
                    Looking though the pics, it did seem like they spent quite a bit of time
                    getting the flavor right... and then running off to the side for lots of
                    vamping fun. Those are the kind of movies that are fun all around. And
                    make a good branch point for fun fantasy costumes.

                    > Really looking forward to Abraham Lincoln. Have never heard of the
                    > zombie one....but perhaps I will look it up.

                    The zombie one is just one of those throw away. It's there to get
                    discussion, get watched, get picked up at the checkout line accidentally
                    when you're thinking Abe and some monster. Sadly doesn't look like
                    they tried at all on the costumes. The old Hammer horror used to have
                    fun but also keep a style... even if it wasn't accurate... didn't look
                    like you pulled it off the floor of your closet. But as I said
                    before... zombie movies are hard on rental clothing.

                    > Thanks for the pics, the thought of sewing Sally Field's dress gives
                    > me headache, plus where would I wear it?!
                    Lot of places have Victorian dances now-a-days. It's a good place to
                    wear those hoops. And it's fun kind of dancing... not the too loud,
                    too crowded modern dance clubs.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 9, 2012
                      Some images from History and the film Lincoln. Mostly guy's outfits,
                      but the flavors match
                      http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/11/08/lincoln_cast_of_characters_compared_to_real_life_inspirations_photos.html?wpisrc=most_viral