Re: [F-Costume] Re: Need urgent fabric advice!

  • Daniel Sanders
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
      Hey. I think your best bet would be silk velvet for the coat. It's easier to line that in something a bit heavier if you want the coat to have more body than it is to make another velvet look more
      fluid.

      Are you still considering doing the shirt in a pale blue? I think that idea would be nicer. Though cream is good too. Just my two cents. I wonder about a textured crepe for the shirt? They make "kimono" and "elephant ear" crepes that gave a subtle texture to them that would look nice. Though, I honestly can't remember the price of them off the top of my head.

      Cotton velvet for the pants I think is a good idea, (I think someone suggested that and I agree).

      Have you considered buying ready to dye fabric and dying it yourself? That would knock a little bit of the price off as well as giving your friend another step to document in their project. Which might be kind of neat.

      I really like your design by the way.

      On Oct 28, 2012, at 9:02 AM, "Hazel Daniel" <hazel.daniel@...> wrote:

      > Here is a picture of it......It's not coloured in but I will try to get it done for you ladies :) Hope it helps
      >
      > http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o496/Hazel_Daniel/talref.jpg
      >
      > Please ignore my handwriting, its just my amateur musings ^^;

    • Hazel Daniel
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
        If you're talking about those "lining" fabrics that the regular fabric
        stores sell. Yea, don't buy them. They don't wear well, they don't
        wash well, and they fall apart after a bit.
        I meant more like 'shiny' satins like cheap costumes are made from, or
        fabrics with a high lustre to them....you know the sort that you
        photograph and get BRIGHT GLAREEEEEE.

        Picking a fabric is only partially about color. It's about the "hand"
        of a fabric. Soft, very-soft, stiff, thick, etc.
        My apologises for not explaining further, I was tired when I wrote my
        OP. Ideally I'm looking for a fluid, plain comfortable fabric that
        isn't so thin that you can see through it.
        I'm intrigued by the texture of dupion (Im looking at the faux stuff,
        rather than the pricy silk stuff), but I hear its a crisp fabric?

        Overcoat - dark blue velvet. There's a silk velvet and a cotton velvet
        on ebay that I have my eye on, and I can't decide between them. IF
        you're on a budget... you can replace silk velvet w/ a stench velvet.
        IT hold up better, washes better and had close to the same hand. Cotton
        velvet will be a lot stiffer and totally change the look.
        Do you mean stretch velvet? That's the fabric I usually go for but I
        made a similar garment and found its tendency to curl at the edges
        really frustrating. That's why I was hoping to make it out of a non
        stretchy velvet. Silk velvet is similiar to stretch velvet? Learn
        something new everyday ^^. But I have a sample of silk velvet and it is
        so thin I swear I could read through it. Hope this doesn't sound
        disgusting but I don't plan on washing the overcoat..... The silk velvet
        on ebay that I am watching is literally just under £10 per metre
        which is quite a bargian for that fabric, given what it usually retails
        at.

        I like sort of fluid and drapey fabrics.......and I don't know what to
        line it with either, aside from the colour.Lining can effect the hand as
        well, it can add a little or a lot of stiffening. Not everything needs
        to be lined. But I have a tendency to go w/ different weights of
        cotton, unless I want something to stay very flowy. If it's meant to
        show, then pick two things you like and consider their hand together.
        (One costume I did, the lining was 3x the cost of the outer fabric and
        2x as thick. Worked and looked wondeful. But that's an exception.)
        It's just the overcoat/overdress (whatever you want to call it) that I
        want to line, and I would ideally like to keep it quite flowy. The
        lining will be quite visiable, since the trumpet sleeves are split open
        at the elbow, and the overcoat has a full split that is split in the
        front all the way up to the waistline. I think I considered using cheap
        satin for lining, but I didn't know whether to use the dull or the shiny
        side. :3
        > > Advice on trouser fabric would be nice too.> That's where you might
        want to use the cotton velvet, or if less shine a > mid-weight or above
        woven..
        Thanks Catt!

      • Hazel Daniel
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
          Hey. I think your best bet would be silk velvet for the coat. It's
          easier to line that in something a bit heavier if you want the coat to
          have more body than it is to make another velvet look more fluid.

          Are you still considering doing the shirt in a pale blue? I think that
          idea would be nicer. Though cream is good too. Just my two cents. I
          wonder about a textured crepe for the shirt? They make "kimono" and
          "elephant ear" crepes that gave a subtle texture to them that would look
          nice. Though, I honestly can't remember the price of them off the top of
          my head.
          I'm really aiming for a soft white colour, just mainly because in most
          of her other designs (I roleplay her online so i like designing things
          for said scenes) she has a white underlayer. Perhaps if I can I will
          make both a white and pale blue shirts. As I said to Catt I'm intrigued
          by the texture of dupion, but I hear its a crisp fabric, and since it'll
          be next to my skin I'd like to be comfy!
          Have you considered buying ready to dye fabric and dying it yourself?
          That would knock a little bit of the price off as well as giving your
          friend another step to document in their project. Which might be kind of
          neat.

          > I really like your design by the way.

          I haven't really considered dying at all. Never touched the stuff, even
          though I have quite a bit of practice fabric lying around.
          and thank you. :) I can't take credit for the embroidery, its borrowed
          from a pair of elves from LOTR.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 29, 2012
            Another option for a cheap velvet source - curtains. You can definately find some cheap on ebay. I've also had luck finding the poly silks in curtains.