Need urgent fabric advice!

  • Hazel Daniel
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 27, 2012
      Hello again! *waves* Warning, long post!

      I am helping out my friend who is currently doing photography at college, and part of her coursework is to do some documentary type thing......basically she is going to photograph every stage of me making a costume from start to finish.

      I have my original character Talathiel's outfit planned, but I am completely flummoxed for what fabrics to use. My character is of a regal background, if that helps but I don't really want to spend anymore than £10/$16 a metre.

      Shiny fabrics are a bit off putting to me, I always think they look a bit tacky/cheap. I would show you a design pic, but I dont have it scanned in my computer.

      Padme's battle Dress is similar to it, at least in terms of the undershirt and overdress/coat.

      Top - white/cream/ivory. I'm going to be adding embroidery to the sleeves.

      Overcoat - dark blue velvet. There's a silk velvet and a cotton velvet on ebay that I have my eye on, and I can't decide between them. I like sort of fluid and drapey fabrics.......and I don't know what to line it with either, aside from the colour.

      Advice on trouser fabric would be nice too.

      I need answers asap, because the sooner I know what to get the better I know how much I'll spend and get the stuff in. I order pretty much exclusively online, since there's practically VERRRRY little choice and its expensive in my local one in town.

      Help VERY much appreciated! <3
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 27, 2012
        On 10/27/2012 3:09 PM, Hazel Daniel wrote:
        > I have my original character Talathiel's outfit planned, but I am
        > completely flummoxed for what fabrics to use. My character is of a
        > regal background, if that helps but I don't really want to spend
        > anymore than £10/$16 a metre.
        We really are going to need a pic to help... everything else is just big
        guesses.

        > Shiny fabrics are a bit off putting to me, I always think they look a
        > bit tacky/cheap..
        If you're talking about those "lining" fabrics that the regular fabric
        stores sell. Yea, don't buy them. They don't wear well, they don't
        wash well, and they fall apart after a bit.

        > Top - white/cream/ivory. I'm going to be adding embroidery to the sleeves.

        Picking a fabric is only partially about color. It's about the "hand"
        of a fabric. Soft, very-soft, stiff, thick, etc.
        > Overcoat - dark blue velvet. There's a silk velvet and a cotton velvet
        > on ebay that I have my eye on, and I can't decide between them.
        IF you're on a budget... you can replace silk velvet w/ a stench
        velvet. IT hold up better, washes better and had close to the same
        hand. Cotton velvet will be a lot stiffer and totally change the look.
        > I like sort of fluid and drapey fabrics.......and I don't know what to
        > line it with either, aside from the colour.

        Lining can effect the hand as well, it can add a little or a lot of
        stiffening. Not everything needs to be lined. But I have a tendency to
        go w/ different weights of cotton, unless I want something to stay very
        flowy. If it's meant to show, then pick two things you like and
        consider their hand together. (One costume I did, the lining was 3x
        the cost of the outer fabric and 2x as thick. Worked and looked
        wonderful. But that's an exception.)

        > Advice on trouser fabric would be nice too.

        That's where you might want to use the cotton velvet, or if less shine a
        mid-weight or above woven.. unless you're going to the harem trouser look.

        See, w/o pics... there's not a lot we can help with.

        If you don't have a scanner... what about using your phone. Light the
        pic as well as you can or take the pic outside to shoot.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 27, 2012
          As Cat says, without pix it can be hard for us to give useful advice.
          But, consider "raw silk" or silk noil, for something that has a nice
          drape, is not shiny, but has a nice rich texture, and will probably be
          on the less-expensive side. Especially shop around on line, I know I
          keep hearing friends talk about great deals they have found that way.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
            Here is a picture of it......It's not coloured in but I will try to get it done for you ladies :) Hope it helps

            http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o496/Hazel_Daniel/talref.jpg

            Please ignore my handwriting, its just my amateur musings ^^;
          • Daniel Sanders
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
              Hey. I think your best bet would be silk velvet for the coat. It's easier to line that in something a bit heavier if you want the coat to have more body than it is to make another velvet look more
              fluid.

              Are you still considering doing the shirt in a pale blue? I think that idea would be nicer. Though cream is good too. Just my two cents. I wonder about a textured crepe for the shirt? They make "kimono" and "elephant ear" crepes that gave a subtle texture to them that would look nice. Though, I honestly can't remember the price of them off the top of my head.

              Cotton velvet for the pants I think is a good idea, (I think someone suggested that and I agree).

              Have you considered buying ready to dye fabric and dying it yourself? That would knock a little bit of the price off as well as giving your friend another step to document in their project. Which might be kind of neat.

              I really like your design by the way.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
                If you're talking about those "lining" fabrics that the regular fabric
                stores sell. Yea, don't buy them. They don't wear well, they don't
                wash well, and they fall apart after a bit.
                I meant more like 'shiny' satins like cheap costumes are made from, or
                fabrics with a high lustre to them....you know the sort that you
                photograph and get BRIGHT GLAREEEEEE.

                Picking a fabric is only partially about color. It's about the "hand"
                of a fabric. Soft, very-soft, stiff, thick, etc.
                My apologises for not explaining further, I was tired when I wrote my
                OP. Ideally I'm looking for a fluid, plain comfortable fabric that
                isn't so thin that you can see through it.
                I'm intrigued by the texture of dupion (Im looking at the faux stuff,
                rather than the pricy silk stuff), but I hear its a crisp fabric?

                Overcoat - dark blue velvet. There's a silk velvet and a cotton velvet
                on ebay that I have my eye on, and I can't decide between them. IF
                you're on a budget... you can replace silk velvet w/ a stench velvet.
                IT hold up better, washes better and had close to the same hand. Cotton
                velvet will be a lot stiffer and totally change the look.
                Do you mean stretch velvet? That's the fabric I usually go for but I
                made a similar garment and found its tendency to curl at the edges
                really frustrating. That's why I was hoping to make it out of a non
                stretchy velvet. Silk velvet is similiar to stretch velvet? Learn
                something new everyday ^^. But I have a sample of silk velvet and it is
                so thin I swear I could read through it. Hope this doesn't sound
                disgusting but I don't plan on washing the overcoat..... The silk velvet
                on ebay that I am watching is literally just under £10 per metre
                which is quite a bargian for that fabric, given what it usually retails
                at.

                I like sort of fluid and drapey fabrics.......and I don't know what to
                line it with either, aside from the colour.Lining can effect the hand as
                well, it can add a little or a lot of stiffening. Not everything needs
                to be lined. But I have a tendency to go w/ different weights of
                cotton, unless I want something to stay very flowy. If it's meant to
                show, then pick two things you like and consider their hand together.
                (One costume I did, the lining was 3x the cost of the outer fabric and
                2x as thick. Worked and looked wondeful. But that's an exception.)
                It's just the overcoat/overdress (whatever you want to call it) that I
                want to line, and I would ideally like to keep it quite flowy. The
                lining will be quite visiable, since the trumpet sleeves are split open
                at the elbow, and the overcoat has a full split that is split in the
                front all the way up to the waistline. I think I considered using cheap
                satin for lining, but I didn't know whether to use the dull or the shiny
                side. :3
                > > Advice on trouser fabric would be nice too.> That's where you might
                want to use the cotton velvet, or if less shine a > mid-weight or above
                woven..
                Thanks Catt!

              • Hazel Daniel
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
                  Hey. I think your best bet would be silk velvet for the coat. It's
                  easier to line that in something a bit heavier if you want the coat to
                  have more body than it is to make another velvet look more fluid.

                  Are you still considering doing the shirt in a pale blue? I think that
                  idea would be nicer. Though cream is good too. Just my two cents. I
                  wonder about a textured crepe for the shirt? They make "kimono" and
                  "elephant ear" crepes that gave a subtle texture to them that would look
                  nice. Though, I honestly can't remember the price of them off the top of
                  my head.
                  I'm really aiming for a soft white colour, just mainly because in most
                  of her other designs (I roleplay her online so i like designing things
                  for said scenes) she has a white underlayer. Perhaps if I can I will
                  make both a white and pale blue shirts. As I said to Catt I'm intrigued
                  by the texture of dupion, but I hear its a crisp fabric, and since it'll
                  be next to my skin I'd like to be comfy!
                  Have you considered buying ready to dye fabric and dying it yourself?
                  That would knock a little bit of the price off as well as giving your
                  friend another step to document in their project. Which might be kind of
                  neat.

                  > I really like your design by the way.

                  I haven't really considered dying at all. Never touched the stuff, even
                  though I have quite a bit of practice fabric lying around.
                  and thank you. :) I can't take credit for the embroidery, its borrowed
                  from a pair of elves from LOTR.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 29, 2012
                    Another option for a cheap velvet source - curtains. You can definately find some cheap on ebay. I've also had luck finding the poly silks in curtains.