Re: Distressing costumes (was The Broken Continent)

  • clawofiron
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
      > The photo didn't come though. Just send a link, or it has to go into the photo section. If it was attached, the group doesn't let it though.

      The photos are in the photo section in a folder called, "The Broken Continent." You can also see the photos in the links I posted.

      The main website: http://www.brokencontinent.com/
      This page has the photos cycling. The clothes I made are on the dark-haired actress.

      The Kickstarter Campaign: http://getbroken.tv/
      This page has extra photos. But you have to scroll down for them, I believe.

      > If you've got a shirt, dipping it in tea tones down the color. Dirtier in steaks, you can wash on Burnt Siena paint (Brownish). Also various greens. Just use acrylic paint diluted by water.

      I might try this next time. I finished my costume the night before the photo shoot, so I didn't have the chance to properly distress them. Thank you so much for the tip of acrylic paint diluted by water. That will probably be a winner.

      > Also, a nail file and/or sandpaper over spots that wear make it look worn. Look at an old pair of jeans, and/or an old shirt. See where it's junked up, worn out.

      I've heard of people doing this, but for some reason, I've always been a bit hesitant to try it. I guess I'll try it on some scrap fabric first. I think I was worried about snagging and pulling the fabric apart.

      Thank you so much for the links! I really appreciate it! I'm sure I will spend a lot of time looking through the sites.

      Sharp rocks and a cement mixer, huh? lol - That would certainly work.

      I love the look of distressed costumes, I just need to get over the feeling that I'm ruining my hard work, instead of enhancing it.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2012
        > The photos are in the photo section in a folder called, "The Broken
        Continent." You can also see the photos in the links I posted.

        Dah, found it.

        > I finished my costume the night before the photo shoot, so I didn't
        have the chance to properly distress them.

        I know how that goes. Done that too many times, and a friend just did
        it this week. All part of the costuming fun. And we don't need sleep
        when we're working on a costume.

        >Thank you so much for the tip of acrylic paint diluted by water. That
        will probably be a winner.

        Just a caution... plain acrylic paint doesn't stay on nearly as well as
        using dye or bleach, or the pro products. But then your chalk and dust
        doesn't survive washings either.

        Acrylic medium can be mixed in w/ the paint. Not sure how well acrylic
        medium works really diluted. Testing always works.

        > I've heard of people doing this, but for some reason, I've always
        been a bit hesitant to try it. I guess I'll try it on some scrap fabric
        first. I think I was worried about snagging and pulling the fabric apart.

        Well, nail files aren't that rough... and you want a lighter grade of
        sand paper. Also when you rub hold the fabric as taunt as you can.

        Fabric is pretty sturdy against an nail file. Depending on the fabric,
        you may need to pay attention to which way you're rubbing. But they're
        great on edges, pockets and collars. Small, and easy to get just what
        you want scruffy.

        > Sharp rocks and a cement mixer, huh? lol - That would certainly work.

        For Disney it was a cost effective way to take care of a normally labor
        intensive effect.