Re: Distressing costumes (was The Broken Continent)

  • Cat D
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2012
      > I've also heard of putting the items in the wash with a bunch of tennis
      > balls.

      I prefer an old pair of light colored sneekers over tennis balls. Just remove any velcro. More thudding than the balls.

      Also, add a big towel... if helps buffer the fabrics a bit/ (That combo is my fav for washing and conditioning fabrics.)

      >I know of using Fuller's Earth to age props/sets for film and TV, I
      > think costume designers use that and some other products to age items.

      Yes, there are a whole set of products for professional aging... but they cost more. You can do a lot w/ your own elbow grease and some things from the kitchen or art shelf.

      Don't forget dragging it behind a car on a dirt road.

      -Cat-
    • clawofiron
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 5:08 AM
        > The photo didn't come though. Just send a link, or it has to go into the photo section. If it was attached, the group doesn't let it though.

        The photos are in the photo section in a folder called, "The Broken Continent." You can also see the photos in the links I posted.

        The main website: http://www.brokencontinent.com/
        This page has the photos cycling. The clothes I made are on the dark-haired actress.

        The Kickstarter Campaign: http://getbroken.tv/
        This page has extra photos. But you have to scroll down for them, I believe.

        > If you've got a shirt, dipping it in tea tones down the color. Dirtier in steaks, you can wash on Burnt Siena paint (Brownish). Also various greens. Just use acrylic paint diluted by water.

        I might try this next time. I finished my costume the night before the photo shoot, so I didn't have the chance to properly distress them. Thank you so much for the tip of acrylic paint diluted by water. That will probably be a winner.

        > Also, a nail file and/or sandpaper over spots that wear make it look worn. Look at an old pair of jeans, and/or an old shirt. See where it's junked up, worn out.

        I've heard of people doing this, but for some reason, I've always been a bit hesitant to try it. I guess I'll try it on some scrap fabric first. I think I was worried about snagging and pulling the fabric apart.

        Thank you so much for the links! I really appreciate it! I'm sure I will spend a lot of time looking through the sites.

        Sharp rocks and a cement mixer, huh? lol - That would certainly work.

        I love the look of distressed costumes, I just need to get over the feeling that I'm ruining my hard work, instead of enhancing it.
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2 5:48 AM
          > The photos are in the photo section in a folder called, "The Broken
          Continent." You can also see the photos in the links I posted.

          Dah, found it.

          > I finished my costume the night before the photo shoot, so I didn't
          have the chance to properly distress them.

          I know how that goes. Done that too many times, and a friend just did
          it this week. All part of the costuming fun. And we don't need sleep
          when we're working on a costume.

          >Thank you so much for the tip of acrylic paint diluted by water. That
          will probably be a winner.

          Just a caution... plain acrylic paint doesn't stay on nearly as well as
          using dye or bleach, or the pro products. But then your chalk and dust
          doesn't survive washings either.

          Acrylic medium can be mixed in w/ the paint. Not sure how well acrylic
          medium works really diluted. Testing always works.

          > I've heard of people doing this, but for some reason, I've always
          been a bit hesitant to try it. I guess I'll try it on some scrap fabric
          first. I think I was worried about snagging and pulling the fabric apart.

          Well, nail files aren't that rough... and you want a lighter grade of
          sand paper. Also when you rub hold the fabric as taunt as you can.

          Fabric is pretty sturdy against an nail file. Depending on the fabric,
          you may need to pay attention to which way you're rubbing. But they're
          great on edges, pockets and collars. Small, and easy to get just what
          you want scruffy.

          > Sharp rocks and a cement mixer, huh? lol - That would certainly work.

          For Disney it was a cost effective way to take care of a normally labor
          intensive effect.