need info on 12C German Hospitallers

  • Purple Kat
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2012
      I have a male friend who is interested in creating a 12C German
      Hospitallers outfit -- all I know is that they wear black monk's robes
      with a red cross on the front.

      can anyone help me find more info? websites? yahoo groups?

      thanks
      Katheryne
    • ravenfire
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2012
        I hope this helps:
        http://www.webpages.free-online.co.uk/ksj/modkts.html

        --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Purple Kat <purplkat597@...> wrote:

        > I have a male friend who is interested in creating a 12C German
        > Hospitallers outfit -- all I know is that they wear black monk's robes
        > with a red cross on the front.
        >
        > can anyone help me find more info? websites? yahoo groups?
        >
        > thanks
        > Katheryne

      • Melody Watts
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 13, 2012
          Hi, I have a question, does anyone know how to clean red linen that is Victorian era?
          I just purchased a parasol that has a red linen cover and a white with red polka dot linen over cover. Lace goes around the perimitor too.
          I am told the fabric is basically strong,a few pin holes ,no major tears.
           I imagine it has a few decades of dust and grime in the material..
          Question is :should I clean it, and with what?
          I am worried about the red dye being fugitive and staining the white linen if i try water wash.
          ANy ideas or expertise here?
          thanks,
          Melody

          Recent Activity:

          Visit Your Group

          .

        • Melody Watts
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 14, 2012
            Hi All,
             I need help constructing a "Corset" for a SteamPunk  event I want it to look like a "skeleton" corset...just the "Bones" showing ,no materiasl,...BUT... I want the "Bones" to look metalic-but not be. Any ideas on materials to use for the "Bones" metal is out o f the question.

              thanks,
            Melody

            .

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 14, 2012
              >> I need help constructing a "Corset" for a SteamPunk event I want
              it to look like a "skeleton" corset...just the "Bones" showing ,no
              materiasl,...BUT... I want the "Bones" to look metalic-but not be. Any
              ideas on materials to use for the "Bones" metal is out o f the question

              I'm almost thinking that you need to just paint in/over what you want to
              show up.

              Acrilic paints mixed w/ fabric medium will paint on fabrics. There are
              some nice metallics. However, I'm not sure how well they'll mix with
              fabric medium. You might want to put an undercoat of either black or
              white (test) that's mixed all the full ratio w/ fabric medium to bound
              property. Then... mix your metallic w/ a bit of fabric medium (it helps
              it stretch w/ the fabric not crack),

              The negative area (non bones area) can also be subtually painted, or at
              least shaded.

              -Cat-
            • adurham52
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 14, 2012
                I'd be leery of washing it--the red may indeed run into the white.

                One safe way of removing the dust is to go to the hardware store and get some fine fiberglass screening (you'll want about an 18" square). Bind the edges (you can sew on bias tape, or even just wrap masking tape around the edges).

                Place this over the fabric, and then use a hand-held vacuum (or the hand brush attachment on your regular vacuum) to lightly vacuum the piece. The screening supports the fabric. Don't try to scrub the brush over the screening--use a light hand.

                If you still decide that you want to wash it, wet a q-tip in distilled water and gently roll it on the red fabric (and the red polka dots)in an inconspicuous spot to see if any red transfers.

                --Ann in Florida