Re: [F-Costume] Snow White & the Huntsman Queens wardrobe

  • Daniel Sanders
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2012
      Having not seen the movie and only a few pics of that dress, here's what I see:

      To me it appears to be gold silk satin ribbon that has tiny pin tucks where each angle/bend is. (Which is probably where it gets that bent drinking straw look.) Then, this ribbon has had a stiffening material applied to it and allowed to dry over a custom made form or mold so once dried, with all it's angles, it keeps it's shape.

      The edges of the shoulder pieces are probably wired to help keep the shape. These wired pieces are covered in bathing satin and bent to follow the curve of the torso and it points towards the hips.

      The gold feathers look to be of a matching material that also been stiffened to create that vein/ peak in the center and make each piece curve slightly.

      On Jun 19, 2012, at 12:05 PM, "Cassandra of Kingswear" <cclarkevilla@...> wrote:

      > I'm new here so I'll jump right in. Have you seen this movie? How did they do the sleeve shoulder poofs on the Queens wedding dress. In one scene the dress doesn't have them, but in the next scene there they are. They almost look like drinking straws. Any ideas? Collene Atwood is amazing. I don't know how to add links, but a simple seach will show up the dress.
      > Cassandra

    • Jilly Harris
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 19, 2012
        It's my understand from the few things I've read is that they are made of
        papier mache/parchment.

        Wait- found where I read that:

        http://frocktalk.com/?p=3719

        It's further down in the entry where it focuses on the wedding gown.

        --
        ~Jilly

        "Friendship needs no explanation."

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 19, 2012
          On 6/19/2012 9:05 AM, Cassandra of Kingswear wrote:
          > How did they do the sleeve shoulder poofs on the Queens wedding dress.
          > In one scene the dress doesn't have them, but in the next scene there
          > they are. They almost look like drinking straws. Any ideas? Collene
          > Atwood is amazing. I don't know how to add links, but a simple seach
          > will show up the dress.
          Is this the dress you're talking about?
          http://outnow.ch/Movies/2012/SnowWhiteAndTheHuntsman/Bilder/movie.fs/07

          Don't know. Almost looks more like ratan (or other basket weaving
          stuff). The designer used all kinds of cool stuff from all over the
          world. The queens other dress uses beetle shells. I'd think that if
          it's weaving materials it would be very fragile..

          FYI, to paste a link from a pictures... 1) For just the image, right
          click. Go to Image properties, highlight the url and paste. 2) For
          full page -- put your cursory into the url bar. Click and highlight.
          Ctrl C to copy the link, then paste (ctrl V) it.

          For good image sites, I try to keep these links current:
          http://www.alleycatscratch.com/movie/Costume_Links.htm#Pictures

          -Cat-
        • Doodle
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2012
            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Cassandra of Kingswear" <cclarkevilla@...> wrote:

            > I'm new here so I'll jump right in. Have you seen this movie? How did they do the sleeve shoulder poofs on the Queens wedding dress. In one scene the dress doesn't have them, but in the next scene there they are. They almost look like drinking straws. Any ideas? Collene Atwood is amazing. I don't know how to add links, but a simple seach will show up the dress.
            > Cassandra

            From my facebook page friend-maybe this will help.
            http://frocktalk.com/?p=3719