Fwd: Seeking aspiring costume designers for TV show!

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2012
      Forwarding a bit of mail I got for those of you who are into reality
      shows. (Also see below their mail for more some info...)

      -Cat-

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2012
        I wanted to be a film costume designer since I was born. This TV show would
        have been perfect for me 15 years ago when I had a body that could keep up
        with the physical demands. I stayed home to raise our six kids and I ran
        businesses out of our home.seamstress, Avon Lady, etc. Put my last two
        years of college degree on hold until 1995 and was determined to finish
        college before 40 y.o. I finished my BS in fashion degree one month before
        my 40th birthday. While at college.the last decade, the internet went
        mainstream and started building my costume websites. Also took six costume
        history and research classes in my last decade of college.

        Decade 1: mid 1970s: AA in Fashion: Got married and we decided that we would
        go for his degree as a career. In the meantime, I worked in menswear and
        put my hubby through his last two years of college.

        Decade 2: Early 1980s: College.One year Home Ec. Education: Got pregnant
        and miscarried. Decided to wait to finish my degree. Had two kids at this
        point.and completed the decade with five kids total.

        Decade 3: Mid 1990s: YIPPEE! Finished my fashion degree with an emphasis in
        costume history. We had six kids at home while working on my degree.

        That's okay.I love my job and educating people online about costume for the
        past 16 years. Everyday is exciting! I have researched for film costume
        designers and worked as an extra on period films.so all wasn't lost of my
        childhood dream. I love costumers and have a blast. Every day is a new
        adventure in costuming! I especially love traveling to events to meet
        people in costume. My business gives me a great excuse to go to Mardi Gras,
        costume events, and museums every year! My first costuming experience was
        growing up with Mardi Gras. I have seriously been researching MG costumes
        since 1999. I am leaving for Mardi Gras on Feb. 14. A different childhood
        dream that is coming true.to research Mardi Gras costume history. This
        year's Mardi Gras trip is 10 days of party with people in costume! This is
        my 5th trip since last MG (March 2011) to the Gulf Coast to research Mardi
        Gras costumes. I don't think that my research will ever end. Every city
        celebrates the season differently. I also want to include in my research
        other locations of carnivale, like Rio and Venice.

        Cat, do you mind if I post your announcement on my business FB page? LOL!
        We were actually discussing your film costume research at dinner tonight.

        Penny Ladnier, owner

        The Costume Gallery Websites

        <http://www.costumegallery.com/> www.costumegallery.com

        15 websites of fashion, costume, and textile history

        FaceBook:
        <http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Costume-Gallery-Websites/107498415961579>
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Costume-Gallery-Websites/107498415961579

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2012
          On 2/3/2012 11:18 PM, penny@... wrote:
          > I wanted to be a film costume designer since I was born. This TV show
          > would
          > have been perfect for me 15 years ago when I had a body that could keep up
          > with the physical demands.
          Working on projects during and then right out of college.... decided I'd
          rather eat than do "professional" costume design. I learned working on
          hard projects for only little more than food and supplies... and
          "Credit". I decided I'd rather eat, and keep it as a serious hobby. I
          think more actors make a living wage than costume designers. Sigh.
          Fun, much fun... but you need support to get to the point you can
          support yourself.

          So, since I wanted to eat... use it as a hobby... a very serious hobby
          at times.... w/ much fabric.

          >> Cat, do you mind if I post your announcement on my business FB page?
          LOL!

          Hey, it's an open fb page... I don't think this is a group I've worked
          w/ before... so they just found us... they want to spread it... and
          there are other things listed that would interest our joint group of folks.

          >> We were actually discussing your film costume research at dinner
          tonight.

          LOL. Add to the discussion the problem of software. ACK!!!!!!!!! We
          will get there, we will. really. ack... whimper. Gota. sniff - want
          to play w/ costumes, not pound head on tech.

          -Cat-
        • penny@costumegallery.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2012
            Thank you Cat. I hear you about software problems. I need to move all my
            webpages (85,000) into a newer webpage coding platform.

            A. I am tired of learning new software.

            B. The sheer volume of a makeover is too much for me. I might just try
            to put the new stuff in a new format.

            When I started my business, I swore that I would not be behind a computer
            daily. That is one reason that I take a lot of trips to photograph &
            research costumes. As for the money, there are good years and bad ones.
            But it is that way with any business.

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2012
              On 2/3/2012 11:45 PM, penny@... wrote:

              > Thank you Cat. I hear you about software problems. I need to move all my
              > webpages (85,000) into a newer webpage coding platform.

              I hear you there. We're only 6k pages aprox. (Did I say only?) Our
              pictures didn't count as pages. Will need to now. In this modern
              world, we need to track where/who w/ the photos as well as all the cool
              costume stuff.

              > A. I am tired of learning new software.

              Tell me about it. We're still the largest Front Page site (non
              modified) that Microsoft has heard off... in fact about 3 times a big as
              anything else. They don't understand how I can publish anymore...
              yea... can't really. It clunks and spits.... and I cross my
              fingers... Then my computer blew up as Christmas... and I can't even
              do that. Must have new computer.

              New software... we're on our 3rd... learning, testing, starting move. or
              almost starting and having to slam on the brakes. Sigh. Had convinced
              myself that Wikipedia would be good... but they're changing their
              support language AGAIN!!!!!!!!! WordPress is now our focus... and
              time's a running out... while all kinds of real life also interferes.

              > B. The sheer volume of a makeover is too much for me. I might just try
              > to put the new stuff in a new format.

              Yup... we're setting it up so there are multiple editors for the next
              run.... so it doesn't depend on one person, and skid to a stop when that
              one person gets sick... and gets slammed w/ far too much real life.

              > When I started my business, I swore that I would not be behind a computer
              > daily.

              I don't mind that. I use the computer to "see" the costumes. (Really
              can't get out much, even missed the last FIDM exhibit... and it's less
              than 5 miles from me.)

              > That is one reason that I take a lot of trips to photograph &
              > research costumes. As for the money, there are good years and bad ones.

              Always cool photos to look at. Love the detailed shots you take.

              > But it is that way with any business.

              The advantage of being a business. We're just a poor little charity
              that pays our server bill off the google adds and we donate to ourselfs
              for anything else... one of the software limiters... and does mean we
              can't hire tech... so we limp along.

              Sigh... would so rather just be studying costumes or helping addict
              someone else to costuming, or helping work on something that's not a
              t-shirt.

            • penny@costumegallery.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2012
                FYI: For those who don't know, Cat & I have had large meta costume websites
                for a long time. That is what this conversation is about.

                Cat Wrote:

                I hear you there. We're only 6k pages aprox. (Did I say only?) Our pictures
                didn't count as pages. Will need to now. In this modern world, we need to
                track where/who w/ the photos as well as all the cool costume stuff.

                Penny's reply:

                I stopped counting the photos years ago too. I count the pages once a
                year.mainly because my advertisers want to know the number. I am an
                organizational nut. When certain topics grow so large, I created a website
                for them. Domains cost under ten dollars a year now.not like in the old
                days when they cost $100 a year. I have over 80 domains right now.but I buy
                the .com, .net, & .org levels of every phrase. For example, costumelibrary,
                I own all three levels. I am working on developing my 16th website.
                costumegallery.com is the umbrella for all our websites. BTW, the only
                domain that I don't own all three levels is this one. Costumegallery.net is
                a costume rental business.

                Cat wrote:
                Tell me about it. We're still the largest Front Page site (non modified)
                that Microsoft has heard off... in fact about 3 times a big as anything
                else. They don't understand how I can publish anymore... yea... can't
                really. It clunks and spits.... and I cross my fingers... Then my computer
                blew up as Christmas... and I can't even do that. Must have new computer.

                Penny's reply:

                Wow! FrontPage! I remember when your computer went haywire! I am so happy
                you got it working again! We have a new laptop but it has crashed so many
                times that we keep it backed up on an external hard drive. We have another
                one external hard drive with four retired computers backed up on it. My
                website at one point was based out of Pensacola, Florida.then Hurricane Ivan
                hit there.my website was gone for a month. I changed host and now it is
                backed up daily in two different cities that are not located in severe
                hurricane locations. What a pain in the butt it was move all of the
                websites. I also have space in a secure location on my server to backup my
                computers.

                Cat wrote:
                Yup... we're setting it up so there are multiple editors for the next
                run.... so it doesn't depend on one person, and skid to a stop when that
                one person gets sick... and gets slammed w/ far too much real life.

                Penny's reply:

                Good luck with your new process. My hat is off to you! We have a handful
                of volunteer interns that help with typing and cleaning some of the
                graphics/ fashion plates. Our interns have been with us for several years.
                Presently we are working on four 1968 clothing trade journals to go online.
                We have all learned a lot from the magazines. The magazines are trend
                prediction reports for girl's wear, boy's wear, junior girls, teenager boys
                and girls, womenswear and menswear for 1968 & 1969. The images for the
                reports are fun too!

                Cat wrote:
                I don't mind that. I use the computer to "see" the costumes. (Really
                can't get out much, even missed the last FIDM exhibit... and it's less
                than 5 miles from me.)

                Penny's reply:

                I truly understand. A lot of people cannot go to the exhibits for several
                reasons. That is why the web is so wonderful.exhibits can be there at
                people's fingertips. Where I grew up we lived so far from museums and
                couldn't afford to travel to them. I read encyclopedias from front to back,
                over and over again. I thought, these places and things really couldn't be
                out there in the world. When my husband went to Egypt. I told him that I
                really didn't believe that the pyramids were really there until I see a
                photo of him at them. He got off the plane and handed me the photo.

                Cat wrote:
                Always cool photos to look at. Love the detailed shots you take.

                Penny's reply:

                Thank you! Sometimes I do not see the full costume details until I zoom in
                on the photos. We have certain areas that we focus upon in costumes. When
                we view one costume, there may be 20 good photos to choose from to go
                online. My husband and I compete as to who can take the best photos of a
                costume. I have about 30,000 photos that we have taken to go online. I also
                just bought a collection of 1,500 antique 19th & early 20th century photos.
                Hopefully this summer we are inventing a new way to take costume photos.
                Have to wait for my biggest advertiser to come in for the $$$. This
                invention will blow away the industry. We are having this invention built
                this summer and sticking a patent on it. But because a patent will be
                involved, I can't say what the invention is.

                Cat wrote:

                The advantage of being a business. We're just a poor little charity that
                pays our server bill off the google adds and we donate to ourselfs
                for anything else... one of the software limiters... and does mean we can't
                hire tech... so we limp along.

                Penny's reply:

                You could apply for grants being a charity. Please don't discount yourself
                for being a charity. You play a vital role in the industry! That is what
                my husband and my conversation was about tonight. What a vital role you
                play in the costuming world. He had asked me why I don't cover more film
                costumes. When someone has a great website for a given section of the
                costume world, I don't tread there. I do some film costumes, if it is
                dropped in my lap like the Young Victoria film was. But you are the expert
                in that area. I decided a long time ago to not go into a topic where people
                devote their life to specific areas of costume. I just sit back and enjoy
                your work. I don't dive into an Elizabethan because Drea's site is the
                expert. I respect my peers.

                It was a BIG decision to move over to a subscription site. We had a panel
                of people discuss this for six months before moving in this direction. But
                the funding was necessary to move the Gallery into the direction that I
                wanted. We frequently need to update computers, camera and video equipment,
                take the trips, etc. People don't realize how much money is involved with
                having big websites.my tax guy does! A question that I am frequently asked:
                How do you make money doing this? We make money from our subscribers and
                advertisers. The advertisers came to me because they are fed up with Google
                ads & affiliate programs.

                One of our new classroom students asked me recently. "What do you do for
                your day job?" I told that this has been my day & night job for 16 years.
                For the first ten years of business, it was 7 days a week with 12 hour days.
                Now I take weekends off. Cat, I know that you keep about the same hours that
                I do and have for years. Your works is VERY appreciated and hope that we
                are doing this for a very long time! It is a passion that we want to share.

                Sigh... would so rather just be studying costumes or helping addict someone
                else to costuming, or helping work on something that's not a t-shirt.

                Penny's reply:

                Love it!!!!

                .

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 4, 2012
                  Warning... discussion is about costume websites, only a bit of costume
                  content below...

                  On 2/4/2012 2:17 AM, penny@... wrote:

                  > FYI: For those who don't know, Cat & I have had large meta costume
                  > websites
                  > for a long time. That is what this conversation is about.
                  >
                  > ... ...
                  >
                  > I stopped counting the photos years ago too. I count the pages once a
                  > year.mainly because my advertisers want to know the number. I am an
                  > organizational nut. When certain topics grow so large, I created a website
                  > for them.

                  That's easier to do w/ historical. With movie costumes, or many fantasy
                  costumes in general, they derive naming from a "story", that has key
                  words that are jealously guarded. So for us, it made sense to keep
                  everything under the Alley Cat Scratch "brand". Is why we never went
                  after any of the spellings of LOTR Costume, and since "hobbit" is much
                  more protected... dangerous for losing identity. Istead I stress way
                  to much on how to give each sub-web an identity... one that works both
                  for costumers, and for Google (having admired that this strategy doesn't
                  work for the Wayback machine.)

                  > Domains cost under ten dollars a year now.not like in the old
                  > days when they cost $100 a year. I have over 80 domains right now.but
                  > I buy
                  > the .com, .net, & .org levels of every phrase. ...

                  We skimp on that, but depend on Google to separate out the difference...
                  and grrrrrrr at matches, and also since we share the name w/ an 80's boy
                  band, leave them someplace to go. (Google is good at sorting out
                  "valid" sites. Also a lot of the variant of our name, the "X" folks pay
                  megga $$$ for 'cause they like "alley cat" and all the variants. Sigh.
                  Weird world if ya mistype. )

                  The other advantage of keeping everything under ACS is that when we're
                  really active w/ traffic, like during movie time, our website rating
                  goes WAY up, into the high tracked territory. That helps the adds
                  (which feed the server) and helps costumers and sewer locate us because
                  we get good bounce for being a very high-traffic site, vs just a
                  high-traffic site. (And I'll do anything, to help folks find the site....)

                  > Wow! FrontPage!

                  Of the older tools, it's one of the best for costuming sites because of
                  how easily it handles photos. In fact, it's been the hands down winner
                  for just about all of the image-heavy costume sites. Folks are now
                  painfully transitioning... but there's not been a good middle of the
                  road tool for large sites. (ie, easy to use, but can handle the trafic,
                  and handle the images properly, and google friendly.)

                  > I remember when your computer went haywire! I am so happy
                  > you got it working again!

                  Ooops, not quite right. Beast is kinda up. I have no printing. It's
                  even slower before. Can't publish right now. Had my poor C drive have
                  a crash and a really fab computer tech resurrect what he could.
                  (Shot-out: Hey folks in LA, I can't recommend Alhambra Computer Service
                  enough.) Am waiting for the supply chain to refill after Christmas...
                  really BAD time to buy a computer now... and converting hoards of things
                  because I'm not going to be able to buy the licenses for my next machine
                  (and I don't use black/grey market software). New machine will be a
                  hybrid of a lot of old components put in the new machine, and plugged in
                  peripherals. The good news is that the photos for costumes aren't at
                  risk, though a lot of the e-mail write-ups are tangled in this upgrade.
                  Sigh... but working on it.

                  New version will be organized to keep all the costume stuff a bit
                  separate. And yup, I've got all kinds of photos that haven't gone up
                  yet. Eye candy for the future.... but I don't want to let the photos
                  loose w/o their tracking data. (That doesn't just help me organize,
                  will help folks doing costume research when they can easily find the
                  sources, so they can search in those directions.)

                  External drives are important for backing up all the pictures that
                  costumers collect. Cloud storage has it's usages, BUT cloud, being out
                  of our personal control can disappear... and that's wayyyyy wayyyy
                  wayyyyy of topic of info useful for costumers. (Cloud sources don't
                  just disappear, but when studios get into fair-use vs. takedown, folks
                  that have private photo collections on various pubic location can find
                  their photos disappearing, so I've got a no-trust of a lot of the photo
                  sites.)

                  Penny, will need to talk off-line about backup strageties. W/ Front
                  Page, since it's a push system (that puts the page up exact on the
                  web)... the whole web is also on a person's computer. Almost all the
                  modern options that database the article, it becomes "pull" (ie data is
                  pulled from the database and page created on the spot). This creates
                  new back-up challenges.

                  > next
                  > run.... so it doesn't depend on one person, and skid to a stop when that
                  > one person gets sick... and gets slammed w/ far too much real life.
                  >
                  > Penny's reply:
                  >
                  > Good luck with your new process. My hat is off to you! We have a handful
                  > of volunteer interns that help with typing and cleaning some of the
                  > graphics/ fashion plates

                  We've had a group of folks that create whats out on the Alley Cat
                  Scratch pages almost from the beginning, but the publishing has been
                  choked w/ me. ACS manages to be what it is BECAUSE we have a group of
                  folks working together... joint brain -- it knows much more than any one
                  or two folks know.

                  And, gee... would could get rid of a lot of my dyslexic typos too.

                  But... empowering more folks to bring their knowledge and energy
                  together is what we're aiming at.

                  > I truly understand. A lot of people cannot go to the exhibits for several
                  > reasons. That is why the web is so wonderful.exhibits can be there at
                  > people's fingertips.

                  The costume photos get edited differently than the beauty photos that
                  pop up for use in news, or to show the basic concept.

                  I remember when we first stated pulling details out of the photos we had
                  taken, or were given permission to use. The detail that shows up in the
                  costumes is just eye popping... and by framing the photo differently and
                  adjusting the light and contrast, there's a whole new world of texture
                  and detail that shows up. Then there was the whole thing how we'd crop
                  and frame - asymmetrically neck to below waist, one sleeve to just past
                  the other shoulder... to get them most bang for the buck for
                  "recognizable" close-up.... was considered crazy back then, now I've
                  seen museums using that crop to show the real eye-candy of costumes in
                  their exhibits. IT's fun to find those details and to create the
                  enthusiasm in costumes... that might otherwise be missed w/o making the
                  details easy to see. Fun, while educating.

                  > When
                  > we view one costume, there may be 20 good photos to choose from to go
                  > online.

                  It's fabulously great when you get a chance to get that many shots of a
                  costume. I so often work from blurred crops from over a shoulder, or
                  too darks. It's gotten me lots of practice using Photoshop's edit
                  features... and I can brag about pulling detail out of black. Really do
                  need a new camera that shoots great detail low light photos. (Too many
                  of the new ones achive a crisp look by throwing out the details.... to
                  the point that my over 10yo camera shoots better photos in dark if I can
                  tripod it.)

                  With 20 good photos, you've got the "trial" of trying to find the best
                  of the set to push for google to use as the main take-away.

                  Once we get the new web site up/organized, then there's a fight to get
                  better recognition.... have trouble getting photo permissions because
                  our site has gotten too much "trash" as just a "fan" site, so even when
                  we're doing legitimate reviewing, and providing a lot of publicity on
                  something, we get dissed, and can't even get the photo permissios of
                  some local blogs. Sigh... have I said before, prefect just playing
                  costumes... vs all this other stuff... but seems required to do
                  better, and more in depth costume research... so it's on the to-do plate.

                  > My husband and I compete as to who can take the best photos of a
                  > costume. I have about 30,000 photos that we have taken to go online. I
                  > also
                  > just bought a collection of 1,500 antique 19th & early 20th century
                  > photos.

                  So total yummy. I still need to go though the hundreds (and hundreds)
                  of negatives our family has to pull out the cool costume content from
                  just family connects. (Hey, one whole branch was newspaper reporters
                  and publishers... much documentation... badly organized that needs a
                  costume/historical eye to sort out. Research is in my blood,
                  litterally.) There's lots of things to discover... but it takes a lot
                  of organizing to get it to the useful point.

                  > Hopefully this summer we are inventing a new way to take costume photos.
                  > Have to wait for my biggest advertiser to come in for the $$$. This
                  > invention will blow away the industry. We are having this invention built
                  > this summer and sticking a patent on it. But because a patent will be
                  > involved, I can't say what the invention is.

                  Ooooohhhh, looking forward to it. There's lots of new camera
                  technology out there, and ways to display print and video. Just
                  because a lot of costume is history doesn't mean we don't use the new,
                  latest and greatest technology to learn even more from it, and to
                  hook-in and inspire new costumers and scholars.

                  > You could apply for grants being a charity. Please don't discount yourself
                  > for being a charity.

                  Not discounting, BUT, there's a certain amount of freedom staying
                  uncomplicated. We move up to the next level when it simplifies (or on
                  the other side, amplifies) what we do with costuming. That doesn't mean
                  we would turn down grants... but right now our priority is on the
                  conversion, and the conversion being very friendly with Google. (Hey
                  I've VERY good w/ google and there's a lot of pitfalls in the conversion
                  to new technology.)

                  > You play a vital role in the industry! That is what
                  > my husband and my conversation was about tonight. What a vital role you
                  > play in the costuming world.

                  Thanks, but it really needs to be a "we play". The others are quieter,
                  but still there, and still working.

                  > He had asked me why I don't cover more film
                  > costumes.

                  Turns out very different than historical costume. Lots of "rights"
                  arguments. Lots of study on what constitutes fair use. Movie studios
                  DO NOT want "fair use" defined in the courts... so you dance w/ them.
                  (Back when the LOTR movies were coming out, I actually worked at that
                  studio, so that was even weirder - we had permission for more photos
                  than we used from the exact right people at NL to give the permissions,
                  BUT we both agreed to error on the side of extreme claustrophobic desire
                  of what fair use might be from some over zelous suits at the studio
                  above NL "wanted", even if not legal.)

                  Need to know photographer rights vs. studio designers.... and be willing
                  to compromise (... and using just enough photos for research and study
                  vs. "all" to discourage buys down the line of the main product.)

                  Need to spend time researching trademark vs. copyright instead of
                  researching costume. Need to have website setup to handle Cease and
                  Desist letters (even if over zealous on their part, and overreaching) so
                  that only part of the site might be effected. Need to figure out how to
                  handle adds and links that don't tick off "official licensed resellers"
                  w/o having nothing, or drownings. (Having these guys actively on your
                  side will calm over frothing studio execs better than a large pail or
                  water, or having your own lawyer.) Also, they've always got bigger
                  lawyers...

                  Need to vet any donated photos have to be vetted to make sure that
                  they're not coming from improper sources. (ie, we don't buy anything,
                  or even accept spy pics from folks who's sighed confidentiality
                  agreements until they're expired. That's very painful sometimes. Fab
                  stuff. Heck, in that category, I and to sensor my own eyes every day
                  when I did web entries... I walked pack 8x10 eye candy every day, and
                  helped sort/lable some of the PR photos.)

                  And this doesn't even include the politics that hit when hitting fan
                  bases or cross over with folks that do grey-market costumes. (Got
                  physically threatened there once. Was glad I was able to just laugh that
                  dude off... and his own partner yanking him away... explaining why he
                  might become toast.)

                  Or count that fan-based politics about costumes vs. that movie, or the
                  stars. VERY different priorities. Costume site CANNOT discuss costumes
                  in detail with a no-spoiler rule. (Where a costume is worn, and the
                  emotional content of a scene, and the restrictions/requirements of an
                  actor's actions... effect costume choices. There's a reason that most
                  of the early computer gen action flicks had characters in stiff leather. )

                  Also amazing how much explaining the "movie magic" freaks out some
                  folks... so this becomes part of the behind the scene work for movie
                  costumes. (Think back on all the discussions on how the LOTR
                  fellowship cloaks work - they don't keep anyone warm, they look cool;
                  they're not weather proof and the straps are there to look good, so kit
                  can be lifted/slid off back boards. There may be 3 or more versions of
                  "one thing - think the fellowship cloaks, Matrix had 7 different fabric
                  or leather cloaks of various patterns, overlooked scrip notes change a
                  costume mid-shoot lik Frodo's main shirt.) It's politics and dance,
                  along w/ the pure research.

                  Large Sigh....

                  But love it.

                  Historic costume has another whole set of issues that are specific to
                  it. Each area has it's own specialty.... and stresses. Websites that
                  succeed adapt to the requirements.

                  > When someone has a great website for a given section of the
                  > costume world, I don't tread there. I do some film costumes, if it is
                  > dropped in my lap like the Young Victoria film was. But you are the expert
                  > in that area. I decided a long time ago to not go into a topic where
                  > people
                  > devote their life to specific areas of costume.

                  There are times where it steps on no-ones toes. There aren't rules
                  here.... but unless you've got a lot or something or it's a
                  love-of-the-heart there's a mater of practically of how much energy
                  get's expended when someone else has it "nailed".

                  There's always room for special gallery sites that feature a movie
                  because someone has extra contacts that allow extra access and special
                  knowledge. Party! It means more knowledge for everyone!

                  > It was a BIG decision to move over to a subscription site. We had a panel
                  > of people discuss this for six months before moving in this direction. But
                  > the funding was necessary to move the Gallery into the direction that I
                  > wanted. We frequently need to update computers, camera and video
                  > equipment,
                  > take the trips, etc.

                  I kept things free and out of my pocket for as long as "Real Life" went
                  my way. Things changed. As said before, I'm VERY good w/ Google, so I
                  can ring out a few extra pennies that way. Being full "free" means
                  we've get more latitude on fair-use. add the charity (which even when
                  the IRS couldn't figure out what category to put us into, agreed we
                  were), it gives us a bit more protection. (Being right or wrong
                  doesn't matter if a studio goes after you... being on good terms does.)

                  For the rest... we depend on the kindness of strangers.... and FRIENDS!
                  As said before, we've better for the joint dream.

                  > People don't realize how much money is involved with
                  > having big websites.my tax guy does! A question that I am frequently
                  > asked:
                  > How do you make money doing this? We make money from our subscribers and
                  > advertisers. The advertisers came to me because they are fed up with
                  > Google
                  > ads & affiliate programs.

                  Affiliate programs mostly suck. Google, it's the big dance.

                  Since our site traffic goes WAY up and down seasonally, and by movie
                  release/re-release... it's much harder to explain to advertisers... or
                  they want to pay next to nothing for ALWAYS vs balance out or pay
                  premium for premium times. ACK! So, it's a cheat for me to push those
                  decisions off to them and their Google account. Means less money for
                  us, but also less hastle. Don't have to worry about adds that might
                  cross a copyright or tradmark line.. just get to say, take it up w/
                  Google. Don't have to worry about higher payout during popular times,
                  or even figure out that "popular time"... just let Google's bidding take
                  care of that. DO have to worry about drawing in the right traffic to
                  the right pages... though Google must like what we do because they
                  actually send folks to us (ie free adds). Do have to worry about
                  traffic being high enough to get the better adds... BUT that's OK w/ all
                  the advantages. Do have to pound on Google about add catetories.
                  (Anyone remember the Prop H8ate boomdoggle? Google totally redid their
                  add selection options after enough folks pounded, or shut down their
                  adds completely.)

                  Also, our demographic, while sharing a lot of dedicated costume folk,
                  has a LOT of different, non-overlapping parts. You get a lot more of
                  the educational/university folk/institutions. They look to your for
                  more details, for more educational, etc. Many interested much more in
                  the study vs. the recreation. More committed long term. (Yea, I know
                  that's not not a good summary... but just using it for contrast. Real
                  general, over simplified on both... totally skiping the large demo we
                  share.) We get a lot more first time costumers - teens and twenties
                  that are seeing something for the first time that inspires them to want
                  to sew, AND with them, the mother/grandmother/even father they're
                  bringing on with them. A lot of our folks are specifically interested in
                  creations... not just study. (We have both... but lean more towards the
                  physical.)

                  Because movies automatically get the "fan" label, a number of the
                  academics find that that "need" to even hide their credentials because
                  in some stuffier educational circles, it's not consider "proper" study,
                  or even for interest. So while you can list and footnote exact info, we
                  sometimes have to ask our folks to take the word of unspecified folk.
                  (With a fancier website, this is something we're really working on
                  trying to fix... and salute those who tell the pressure group to
                  go-fly.) This makes acceptance of some of the research harder, and
                  does put off some folks.. but we hope their love of the movie and
                  specific costumes bring them back... either as helper, or researcher.

                  We both have non-English speakers to our website... ours since they
                  often come for such a specific costume in mind, wouldn't convert to a
                  monthly. The same goes for those we draw in just looking for Halloween
                  stuff.... though we try to convert them to more serious costuming...
                  they've got a while before they'll call themselves costumers... our
                  folks are earlier on the food chain... so model is again different.

                  So each type of site handles it different... different requirements,
                  different solutions.

                  > One of our new classroom students asked me recently. "What do you do for
                  > your day job?" I told that this has been my day & night job for 16 years.
                  > For the first ten years of business, it was 7 days a week with 12 hour
                  > days.
                  > Now I take weekends off. Cat, I know that you keep about the same
                  > hours that
                  > I do and have for years.

                  I wish I still could. da big Sick rules instaed... I spend more of the
                  time trying to just find brain cells or sit up at the computer. Can't
                  anymore. So even with Judy and everyone else doing lots, the site
                  suffers. BUT... will get there. Are getting there....

                  Anyway... rambling far too long... on what it takes to play at costume
                  webs, vs costumes... please excuse the typos and extra rambling....