Re: [F-Costume] Frustrated - need sewing machine recommendation

  • Aly/Cemper
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 21, 2011
      I use a Singer Quantum Futura  CE-500.  Mine embroiders, quilts and sews, has automatic tension and about 100 stitches.I like it. The reviews mention a bobbin problem but I haven't noticed anything beyond the norm with the bobbin that happens after you've been sewing for 8 hours. My suggestion is that you acquire as much information  and do as much research as possible. I sewed with a Brother for about 7 years and put the poor machine through the ringer although I only paid a hundred bucks for it. My mom has a Viking and I love the machine but I was also restricted by what I could afford and the Singer provided me with all I needed and was affordable. I've had it for about 5 years and really love it.
      ~Cemepr

      One cannot silly-walk into Mordor.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 21, 2011
        I'm another very happy Viking owner, in fact I have a 150 (older
        mechanical type), a 1050, and a #1. oh, and my vintage industrial is a
        Viking too. My serger and coverstitch are Berninas, and I like them a
        lot too. I have also heard good things about Janome, but have never
        owned one.
        I don't know a lot about the newer lines of Vikings, but I have been
        very happy with the ones I have. They have been real workhorses.

        On 8/21/2011 11:35 AM, Trisha McMillian wrote:
        > Hi all, I'm certain somebody in this group has some advice on this matter
        >
        > I'm moving into a phase in my costume making where I'm getting more
        > proficient and starting to make some money from it and the machines i've
        > been using (computerized Brother PC-420 and SE-350) just aren't cutting
        > it anymore. I have and industrial Juki for straight stitching and a
        > blind hemmer and those are great, what I need is a machine that doesn't
        > break down and cry and give me error after error or just fall apart
        > completely like the Brothers do when I give it something slightly more
        > taxing than typical fashion fabrics.
        >
        > To break it down a machine that:
        > - is reliable
        > - doesn't need a degree in engineering to operate
        > - can do button holes
        > - is powerful enough to deal with some what challenging costume fabrics
        > - is good at getting into fiddly bits like armholes etc
        > - and possibly even has a few decorative stitches (would be nice but not
        > vital)
        > - trying to keep it under $1000 but if it's an investment that will
        > really stand the test of time can go higher
        >
        > I've been trying to research online but there are so many machines I
        > feel like I'm going around in circles.
        >
        > Thanks in ad advace for any help, just feelng so frustrated and fed up
        > with these machines breaking down all the time!!!
        > Brooke

      • Elizabeth Phillips

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 22, 2011
            I have a professional costuming/clothing business, so my machines are used daily, for years on end. I have a stable of 10 ancient husqvarna vikings, mostly model 6440. This model is about 35 years old. The bobbins are metal and come in a 5 pack at JoAnns in a red and yellow package (so you can use the 40% off coupons on them) http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIKING-HUSQVARNA-6460-SEWING-MACHINE-10-CAMS-MORE-64-60-/220837806500?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item336af581a4

            I have a Janome Gem Silver, which is very light and portable and does good buttonholes. I was surprised to not find an on eBay. I bought mine new for $250.

            I have a Bernina 910 for doing even top stitching and satins. http://www.ebay.com/itm/bernina-910matic-sewing-machine-/270800984492?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item3f0cff19ac

            I have a portable Thompson walking foot for *really* heavy duty stuff.

            Dina
            www.cloakmaker.com

            --- In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, Sarah Strong <sarahstrong13@...> wrote:

            > I'm another very happy Viking owner, in fact I have a 150 (older
            > mechanical type), a 1050, and a #1. oh, and my vintage industrial is a
            > Viking too. My serger and coverstitch are Berninas, and I like them a
            > lot too. I have also heard good things about Janome, but have never
            > owned one.
            > I don't know a lot about the newer lines of Vikings, but I have been
            > very happy with the ones I have. They have been real workhorses.
            >
            > On 8/21/2011 11:35 AM, Trisha McMillian wrote:
            > > Hi all, I'm certain somebody in this group has some advice on this matter
            > >
            > > I'm moving into a phase in my costume making where I'm getting more
            > > proficient and starting to make some money from it and the machines i've
            > > been using (computerized Brother PC-420 and SE-350) just aren't cutting
            > > it anymore. I have and industrial Juki for straight stitching and a
            > > blind hemmer and those are great, what I need is a machine that doesn't
            > > break down and cry and give me error after error or just fall apart
            > > completely like the Brothers do when I give it something slightly more
            > > taxing than typical fashion fabrics.
            > >
            > > To break it down a machine that:
            > > - is reliable
            > > - doesn't need a degree in engineering to operate
            > > - can do button holes
            > > - is powerful enough to deal with some what challenging costume fabrics
            > > - is good at getting into fiddly bits like armholes etc
            > > - and possibly even has a few decorative stitches (would be nice but not
            > > vital)
            > > - trying to keep it under $1000 but if it's an investment that will
            > > really stand the test of time can go higher
            > >
            > > I've been trying to research online but there are so many machines I
            > > feel like I'm going around in circles.
            > >
            > > Thanks in ad advace for any help, just feelng so frustrated and fed up
            > > with these machines breaking down all the time!!!
            > > Brooke

          • brooke waller
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 26, 2011
              Thank you so much for the great tips on the machines I keep hearing fabulous things about the viking 6440 so I think I'm going to go that route and get a used one from a dealer in town. I'll have to keep the other ones you mentioned in mind if my business grows : )

              Thanks so much again for taking the time to share your expertise!
              Brooke