see thru fabric

  • s
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6 1:53 PM
      Can anyone think of a fabric that you can see thru one side but not the other? I'm making a mask and there isn't a very good location for eyeholes. I thought I could make the entire mask out of material like a two-way mirror. Thoughts?

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6 1:57 PM
        A lot of sheers are reasonably easy to see through as long as the
        environment is well lit. chiffon, organza, mosquito netting... and they
        would at least obscure the face behind, which would be comparatively
        less well lit.

        On 8/6/2011 4:53 PM, s wrote:
        > Can anyone think of a fabric that you can see thru one side but not the
        > other? I'm making a mask and there isn't a very good location for
        > eyeholes. I thought I could make the entire mask out of material like a
        > two-way mirror. Thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Sheree

      • Simon Shuker
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6 1:58 PM
          we tend to use netting on our mascot heads. The type used for wedding veils but just as part of the eye hole inself
          On Aug 7, 2011, at 12:57 AM, Sarah Strong wrote:

          > A lot of sheers are reasonably easy to see through as long as the
          > environment is well lit. chiffon, organza, mosquito netting... and they
          > would at least obscure the face behind, which would be comparatively
          > less well lit.
          >
          > On 8/6/2011 4:53 PM, s wrote:
          > > Can anyone think of a fabric that you can see thru one side but not the
          > > other? I'm making a mask and there isn't a very good location for
          > > eyeholes. I thought I could make the entire mask out of material like a
          > > two-way mirror. Thoughts?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Sheree

        • Carol Kocian
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6 2:13 PM
            Woven metallic fabirc (lamé) works that way. I think there may be
            some cellophanes, too. I've seen costumes that use a black fabric in
            the area where the person can see out.

            When there is light on the outer side of the fabric and dark on the
            inside (such as a mask), lots of fabrics will work. The reflecting
            light obscures what's inside.

            Experiment with fabric you have on hand — you may need a certain
            sheerness depending on how well you need to see. Just enough to avoid
            bumping into things, or do you need to see in detail?

            -Carol

            On Aug 6, 2011, at 4:53 PM, s wrote:

            > Can anyone think of a fabric that you can see thru one side but not
            > the other? I'm making a mask and there isn't a very good location
            > for eyeholes. I thought I could make the entire mask out of
            > material like a two-way mirror. Thoughts?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Sheree
          • Kevin Curley
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6 5:03 PM
              Depending on the shape of the mask, you might want to think about Reflective Mylar. It is a plastic that is mirror like on one side and see thru on the other. It can be heat shaped, but you have to be VERY careful when doing this. Am adding a link to buy it thru Amazon.
              http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Mil-Mylar-Feet-Inch/dp/B000VFW3QS

              Please note that there are MANY types of Mylar available and seeing someone local who knows more about them then me may be good idea. Try Lowes, Home depot or even a grow shop to check them out in person and see if they are what you need and if you can get a sample to try out.
            • Ann Garner
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6 7:13 PM
                One thing that has not already been mentioned, how about additional
                layers of the sheer fabric except for over the eyes?
                Ann in Arkansas