Re: [F-Costume] Looking for a certain fabric..

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 11, 2011
      Holy Moly spoonflower is expensive!

      I went on a mad hunt for gear fabric last year and came up with nothing. There
      used to be 3 really nice looking gear fabric prints in the quilters fabric but
      those have been discontinued.

      Try searching the steampunk forums (the largest being
      http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php%c2%a0). They have done most of the leg work
      searching already and they are fabulous folks.

      Another option is to hand print the fabric with stamps (which are available at
      stores like Michaels and Joans now) or create a simple screen print (there are
      tutorials over on instructable.com ).

      Another option (which could be just as expensive as spoonflower) is to print
      your own fabric. There is a product out there that you can run through your
      printer. The down side - it comes in 8.5x11 sheets so you would have to piece it
      together. I've seen this done on medieval clothing to get the exact period
      fabric pattern. The fabric is usually silk. Avery and Dritz are 2 manufacturers.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 12, 2011
        I also found those cool buttons!
        Thnkx
        melody

        " But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?"

        > looking for fabric that has a "Steam Punk" theme.
        > My Guild leader needs something with Gears printed or embroidered into it.
        > We are located in Los Angeles,Ca. but mail order is do able.
        > Thanks!
        > melody

      • Melody Watts
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 12, 2011
          Thankz for the leads , Have seen Brass goggles site briefly awhile ago and loved it,
          Thought about the"stamp your own "fabric, Don't know what our Queen has in mind material type wise,
          Will run these ideas by her
          melody

          " But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?"

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
            I know of something but I couldn't reply sooner, and I'm rather sure this print is discontinued (but you might be able to find cuts online somewhere) (I'll try to find images).

            It's a 'millennial' print (came out right before all the Y2K hoopla) titled "march of time" (yes, in lower case on the title strip) from The Alexander Henry Fabrics Collection, copyright 1998; I bought them on a shop hop in two colorways, a deep teal-turquoise and a deep amethyst, with a small-scale background of suns, moons, planets, stars, and galaxies. Overprinted in gold ink are gears, dials, compass roses, clockfaces--but they're not obscuring the background details. It could be a subtle and classy steampunk look for your project.

            I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but if you know someone who has a programmable, computerized sewing machine, perhaps they can design and embroider some gears, wheels, and suchlike onto fabric for you. Check the shops that do custom embroidery; if you ask them and come with a design, maybe they can run up something for you.

            Best Wishes, etc.,
            Serit

            In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Melody" wrote:
            >I'm looking for fabric that has a "Steam Punk" theme.
            >My Guild leader needs something with Gears printed or
            >embroidered into it.
            >We are located in Los Angeles,Ca. but mail order is do able.
            >Thanks!
            >Melody
          • Purple Kat
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
              I have some fabric that has different pocket watch faces with a background
              of outline drawn gears.
              The background is beige with tan gears and the watches are a combination of
              white, brass / bronze, silver, black, with bits of teal & blue-gray.

              Timeless Treasures Fabrics Inc Pattern # REGAL - C4626
              (this is off the selvage strip)

              Unfortunately I can't remember where I got this and I only have 1/2 yd of
              it.

              Katheryne

              On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Serit <smkwandr@...> wrote:
              I know of something but I couldn't reply sooner, and I'm rather sure this
              print is discontinued (but you might be able to find cuts online somewhere)
              (I'll try to find images).

              It's a 'millennial' print (came out right before all the Y2K hoopla) titled
              "march of time" (yes, in lower case on the title strip) from The Alexander
              Henry Fabrics Collection, copyright 1998; I bought them on a shop hop in two
              colorways, a deep teal-turquoise and a deep amethyst, with a small-scale
              background of suns, moons, planets, stars, and galaxies. Overprinted in gold
              ink are gears, dials, compass roses, clockfaces--but they're not obscuring
              the background details. It could be a subtle and classy steampunk look for
              your project.

              Best Wishes, etc.,
              Serit

              In F-Costume@yahoogroups.com, "Melody" wrote:
              >I'm looking for fabric that has a "Steam Punk" theme.
              >My Guild leader needs something with Gears printed or
              >embroidered into it.
              >We are located in Los Angeles,Ca. but mail order is do able.
              >Thanks!
              >Melody

            • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
                Found some:

                http://www.fabricstolove.com/cgi-bin/fabricshop/gallery.cgi?func=show&file=3&Category=5

                Google is your friend...

                Sandy

                At 07:02 AM 7/13/2011, you wrote:
                >I know of something but I couldn't reply sooner, and I'm rather sure
                >this print is discontinued (but you might be able to find cuts
                >online somewhere) (I'll try to find images).
                >
                >It's a 'millennial' print (came out right before all the Y2K hoopla)
                >titled "march of time" (yes, in lower case on the title strip) from
                >The Alexander Henry Fabrics Collection, copyright 1998; I bought
                >them on a shop hop in two colorways, a deep teal-turquoise and a
                >deep amethyst, with a small-scale background of suns, moons,
                >planets, stars, and galaxies. Overprinted in gold ink are gears,
                >dials, compass roses, clockfaces--but they're not obscuring the
                >background details. It could be a subtle and classy steampunk look
                >for your project.
                >
                >I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but if you know
                >someone who has a programmable, computerized sewing machine, perhaps
                >they can design and embroider some gears, wheels, and suchlike onto
                >fabric for you. Check the shops that do custom embroidery; if you
                >ask them and come with a design, maybe they can run up something for you.
                >
                >Best Wishes, etc.,
                >Serit
                >
                >In <mailto:F-Costume%40yahoogroups.com>F-Costume@yahoogroups.com,
                >"Melody" wrote:
                > >I'm looking for fabric that has a "Steam Punk" theme.
                > >My Guild leader needs something with Gears printed or
                > >embroidered into it.
                > >We are located in Los Angeles,Ca. but mail order is do able.
                > >Thanks!
                > >Melody

                "Those Who Fail to Learn History
                Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                Why They Are Simply Doomed."

                Achemdro'hm
                "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                -- C. Y. 4971

                Andromeda

              • Melody Watts
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 18, 2011
                  thanks ,will be passing this on to my Queen.

                  " But, WHY, is the Rum all gone?"